2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | BIATHLON | Feb 10th - 23rd

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Found something now on a German site saying he had a soar throat this morning. I guess it didn't help Peiffer's preparations.

Oct 18, 2006
Germany are appealing the result. Windisch blocked Peiffer on the home straight and forced him to change lines. Hmmm, this'll be interesting.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Windisch clearly can't do that. Not sure if it actually influenced the result - and if that matters for the ruling.

Oct 18, 2006
Windisch clearly can't do that. Not sure if it actually influenced the result - and if that matters for the ruling.
I actually expect Italy to get disqualified here. He didn't need to do it, think he had him covered, but he obviously got caught up in the moment.

Italian women deserve a medal they were great, and the German team bar Peiffer were fantastic and deserve one also.

Oct 18, 2006
Result is official. Italy bronze.

Not sure about that. Peiffer clearly blocked, Windisch seemed to go out of his way to block him. But yeah he probably had him anyway.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I actually expect Italy to get disqualified here. He didn't need to do it, think he had him covered, but he obviously got caught up in the moment.

That's why I think Italy's bronze medal stood. The action wasn't exactly orthodox but it really looked like Peiffer could have never passed Windisch anyway.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
After watching the sprint probably ten times I have to admit that it's probably within the rules but still cheap and unsportsmanlike.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
After watching the sprint probably tem times I have to admit that it's probably within the rules but still cheap and unsportsmanlike.
Yeah agree. I mean the fact that the decision took so long to reach a conclusion says they weighed things up pretty heavily. The fact that Windisch seemingly went out of his way to block Peiffer is what had me thinking they might get disqualified.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
After watching the sprint probably tem times I have to admit that it's probably within the rules but still cheap and unsportsmanlike.

Oh come on now, cheap and unsportmanlike is the shit pulled by the North Korean in the 500m short track. If it's within the rules and indeed it was, it isn't unsportmanlike.

Heard that Peiffer and Windisch had some words after the race. IMO Peiffer tries to hide his piss poor effort today: he would have lost the medal anyway, but it's only his fault he threw away a sure medal with error after error and mediocre skiing.

Oct 18, 2006
Oh come on now, cheap and unsportmanlike is the **** pulled by the North Korean in the 500m short track. If it's within the rules and indeed it was, it isn't unsportmanlike.

Heard that Peiffer and Windisch had some words after the race. IMO Peiffer tries to hide his piss poor effort today: he would have lost the medal anyway, but it's only his fault he threw away a sure medal with error after error and mediocre skiing.
Thing is, there didn't appear to be any immediate reaction from Peiffer. So I don't know when these words occurred, but obviously Peiffer felt pretty gutted about his own effort. Certainly got no one to blame but himself, no question.

Reactions: Fighter

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Oh come on now, cheap and unsportmanlike is the **** pulled by the North Korean in the 500m short track. If it's within the rules and indeed it was, it isn't unsportmanlike.

He gave the Gold away, no doubt. No reason stiff someone with cheap tricks. And this is cheap., These lanes are there so that something like that doesn't happen. Windisch commited to a lane and obviously went out of his way to block Peiffer. That is not clever, that is cheap.
I have yet to see the short track.

Reactions: Filppula

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
He gave the Gold away, no doubt. No reason stiff someone with cheap tricks. And this is cheap., These lanes are there so that something like that doesn't happen. Windisch commited to a lane and obviously went out of his way to block Peiffer. That is not clever, that is cheap.
I have yet to see the short track.

No, watch again, Windisch entered the third lane regularly with his first ski so as you say it's within the rules. But watching it at normal speed I cannot stop to think that if Dominik committed to the second lane, he would have won even more comfortably because Peiffer was well behind him and Windisch would have had to cover less distance.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No, watch again, Windisch entered the third lane regularly with his first ski so as you say it's within the rules. But watching it at normal speed I cannot stop to think that if Dominik committed to the second lane, he would have won even more comfortably because Peiffer was well behind him and Windisch would have had to cover less distance.
I'm not saying it's against the rules. He commited to the lane before the line started and changed at last second. Yes, that's possible but it's a clear violation of the spirit.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't know the rules, but happy to see Italy didn't get disqualified.

Windisch is only putting himself at risk there. He is always winning that sprint. If Peiffer is slightly closer to him when he moves over like that he will get disqualified - even if he still would have won the sprint.

Still think it is a stupid move, but not enough to disqualify anyone.

Feel for Peiffer. Germany probably would have won 9 out of 10 times or something with Schempp.

Reactions: Fighter

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
From a different angle it looked like Windisch already was in the lane when he changed. Aw shucks. Sucks for Hinz.
Peiffer in an interview was very critical about it but even more so of himself.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I meant that it was against the rules. Windisch was already in the lane demarked by the blue flags and then changed to another one (I wish I could find this small clips that ARD/ZDF shows). But while Peiffer was critical about it, he was more critical about himself, admitting he probably would have lost anyway (and that his effort today was inexcusable). :)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I meant that it was against the rules. Windisch was already in the lane demarked by the blue flags and then changed to another one (I wish I could find this small clips that ARD/ZDF shows). But while Peiffer was critical about it, he was more critical about himself, admitting he probably would have lost anyway (and that his effort today was inexcusable). :)

Misunderstood, sorry. Anyway if you look closely Windisch entered the third lane (with his first ski) right before the demarkation blue flags. If I got it correctly (from Pietro Piller Cottrer, former cross country champ, now TV commentator) that is the moment when you commit to your lane. All fine and within the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad