Prospect Info: 2018 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Saw this video posted on Reddit. Gotta say - Dahlen has some definite skill. I think this kid has the potential to be very good.

Excited to see how he does in the AHL this year. He definitely has skill and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas to score.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Excited to see how he does in the AHL this year. He definitely has skill and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas to score.
Yep. Brings some much needed energy and offense to the Comets for next year assuming 2019-20 up with us

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Utica will be fun to watch with Dahlin, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, and MacEwen.

Gadjovich-MacEwen-Lind will be an exciting line.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We’ll see. A lot of good scoring junior players hit a wall when they hit pro. At least to start the season I imagine there will be a bit of a transitionary period for Lind and Gadjovich.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Linden and Green are giving a little private speech in Encore Lounge before the prospect game. Says Madden is his favourite player of our draft crop this year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
We’ll see. A lot of good scoring junior players hit a wall when they hit pro. At least to start the season I imagine there will be a bit of a transitionary period for Lind and Gadjovich.

I have to admit I was excited to see Lind come into Utica at the end of last season, but I must also admit a bit of disappointment at what he showed. MacMaster, Jasek, and Dahlen stood out real quick. Lind had a flash here and there but never caught on and came to life like the other 3.

He admitted at season's end the game up in the AHL was a lot faster and the players were bigger and stronger. He said you have to make decisions much quicker and there is little room for error. I believe he went home for the summer with some specific plans to up his game so we will see a better Kole this Fall.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica will be fun to watch with Dahlin, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, and MacEwen.

Gadjovich-MacEwen-Lind will be an exciting line.

You won't see that line. Mac Has not played center in Utica. MacEwen will likely be a first or second line RW depending upon Boucher's existence. I also doubt very much you will see Lind and Gads together. With the forward mix they just might have, Lind is most likely 3rd line to start and Gads is going to be pushed big time to earn a top 12 forward spot to start. They are wings and the wing depth looks to be deep and strong for the first time since 2014-15.

You will have Boucher, Dahlen, Jasek, Motte, Archibald, Leipsic, Lind, MacMaster, Macewen, Carcone, Palmu, Gaunce, and Gadjovich. Only 8 of these 13 guys play on the wings any given night. If you don't think these Canucks guys will be sent down, put them back in Vancouver and show me who you send down. They just go right into this 13. Lind nor Gadjovich is considered in the hockey world as can't miss, blue chip prospects. There are likely to be some learning pains before these guys have a chance to become what you seem to be expecting right out of the gates.

Reactions: Dave Lister

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Anyone going to the WJC Summer Showdown in Kamloops at the end of the month? Tons of top prospects and scouts will be there. I'm hoping someone out there has some information on when single game tickets might go on sale? All they're offering so far is the entire package for all games ($154 btw). I'm definitely heading there for a couple days at the end of it and don't want to miss out on tickets.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Anyone going to the WJC Summer Showdown in Kamloops at the end of the month? Tons of top prospects and scouts will be there. I'm hoping someone out there has some information on when single game tickets might go on sale? All they're offering so far is the entire package for all games ($154 btw). I'm definitely heading there for a couple days at the end of it and don't want to miss out on tickets.
I will be there! Just moved to Kamloops so was very excited to see this tournament was there. I got the package some time ago but haven't seen single game tickets yet. I got an early bird on the package too, $99 for 11 games. I was at the NHL draft in Dallas so excited to see many of those picks appearing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Kid I'm going to be watching closely this year in Utica is Jasek. Determined to do whatever it took to play pro hockey in North America...Love his combo of speed and grit.

Some have projected him to be another Hansen. I have no idea whether that's reasonable, but it would obviously be a huge win for the organization.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Love that highlight package. You know what? The fact that we got this kid with such fantastic potential for Burrows -- just makes me love Burrows all the more. And he was already my fave Canuck. It's almost like we planted an old Burrows seed, and a Dahlen plant has sprouted, and its either going to be a piddly little plant, or grow into a big giant strong tree if we nuture it right.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Exciting time for Canucks and their prospects....when was the last time the SHL scoring champion and playoff MVP (Petterson); the reigning Hobey Baker winner (Gaudette); the scoring champion in the Allvenskan (Dahlen); the rookie of the year in the Finnish Elite League (Palmu); the top goalie in the OHL (DiPietro); the Calder Cup finalist (Boeser) and a 95 point player in the WHL (Lind), all showed up at the same Canuck training camp? The answer--never, and I doubt we'll ever see it again.

And that's not even counting the exploits of Demko and Hughes, who could still yet be signed and show up at camp. It's a gold-mine of future NHL'ers. Just a question of how good they'll all be.

Reactions: Mudshark50

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Exciting time for Canucks and their prospects....when was the last time the SHL scoring champion and playoff MVP (Petterson); the reigning Hobey Baker winner (Gaudette); the scoring champion in the Allvenskan (Dahlen); the rookie of the year in the Finnish Elite League (Palmu); the top goalie in the OHL (DiPietro); the Calder Cup finalist (Boeser) and a 95 point player in the WHL (Lind), all showed up at the same Canuck training camp? The answer--never, and I doubt we'll ever see it again.

And that's not even counting the exploits of Demko and Hughes, who could still yet be signed and show up at camp. It's a gold-mine of future NHL'ers. Just a question of how good they'll all be.

That’s a mighty important question.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Well said. I know there’s a tendency to overrate prospects but even third party sites rate the Canucks pretty high right now. I can’t recall ever having top prospects at every position before. Obviously some will not pan out but there will likely be a few surprises too. A couple of more good drafts with high picks and we could finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Now if only we could have management actually acquire some extra picks for veterans then we could speed things up a bit.
Still think we need to clean house at the management level to take the next step but at least the next group will have a lot to work with.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Center is one position we are sorely lacking from top to bottom. One of my most intriguing questions and interest in development of Pettersson and Gaudette is whether they can be developed as C, and how effective they will be there vs wing.

Their ability to do so will have a large influence on how long this rebuild will last (along with new management)

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That taste Lind and Dahlen got of AHL regular season and playoff action at the end of the season will work wonders this season. And of course kids like Dahlen and Palum aren't juniors transitioning to pro hockey in NA. They're both coming from pro teams in Europe where they were top scorers. So I;m expecting big things from them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That taste Lind and Dahlen got of AHL regular season and playoff action at the end of the season will work wonders this season. And of course kids like Dahlen and Palum aren't juniors transitioning to pro hockey in NA. They're both coming from pro teams in Europe where they were top scorers. So I;m expecting big things from them.

Dahlen played in 4 of the five playoff games.
Jasek played in only one.
Lind's only taste of the playoffs came from the well. He was scratched every game.
MacMaster played all 5 and was second in scoring with 4 points.

The transition to the AHL is not as simple as stepping out on the ice. It is a process and if the player is good he will make the adjustment, but some are much quicker than others. With the possibility of so many competing, it may be even more difficult since those that succeed the quickest will get more ice.

The lineup can't hold all of them at once so some are going to be surprised to be sitting because not one of them has been subject to it for some time in their hockey lives.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Wheeler: The Top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2018...

Scott Wheeler has four Canucks on his top 50 drafted prospects list, the most for any team. There were four teams with three prospects on the list: Canes, Avs, Isles, and Knights.

Wheeler listed:
  • Pettersson at 2
  • Hughes at 8
  • Juolevi at 36
  • Dahlen at 38
He also had DiPietro, Goldobin, Gaudette, Demko, and Lind on his 70 honourable mentions, in no particular order.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
We get our hockey tv fix this week with the World Junior Summer Showcase challenge in Kamloops.

The Canadians: Let’s start in goal with Michael DiPietro, the
Vancouver Canucks third-round pick in 2017, who sees this as his chance to tend the nets this Christmas in the building he hopes to call his NHL home.

"This is something I really want," DiPietro told the Vancouver Province. "I want to be the starter. I want to win gold here in Vancouver and that’s my goal for Christmastime, and I’m not going to let anyone get in the way of that."

Jett Woo, another Canucks prospect, will man Canada’s blue-line along with Oilers first round pick Evan Bouchard, who will very likely play at least eight or nine NHL games in Edmonton this season.

The Americans: Good news for ticket sales in Vancouver, likely the sexiest name on the U.S. roster is Quinn Hughes, the shifty defenceman drafted seventh overall by the Canucks in June. The discussion on whether Hughes stays in Vancouver this fall or returns to the University of Michigan will begin in Kamloops, with an entire province weighing in as the jury.

The Finns: The Suomi roster has been harder to track down, but two names that are reportedly not on the list are 2018 Montreal draft picks Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Jesse Ylonen. They seem like sure things for the Christmas tournament — unless Kotkaniemi is skating with the Canadiens — so we can only assume the Finns are using this Kamloops tournament for what it is: a showcase to round out the roster.

Canucks fans do have someone to watch though with 2018 fifth-rounder Toni Utunen expected to play, after captaining the Finns’ U18 team last season.

Canada announces roster for World Junior Summer Showcase

World Junior Showcase 'tremendous opportunity' for NHL prospects - Sportsnet.ca

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-hockey-on-tsn-schedule-1.117895

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad