• Steven Ruggiero

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Vote using any whatever criteria you'd like. Only prospects that are eligible under HF's prospect criteria (less than 65 games played before 24th birthday, or 45 for goalies) will be eligible for this poll.

Maxime Comtois is the winner of the sixth poll and is our #6 ranked prospect to enter the season!

For this poll, I'm voting for Max Jones.

This year's rankings:

1. Sam Steel +1
2. Troy Terry +4
3. Jacob Larsson -
4. Josh Mahura +3
5. Isac Lundestrom UR
6. Maxime Comtois +2

Last year's rankings:

1. Montour
2. Steel
3. Larsson
4. Jones
5. Kase
6. Terry
7. Mahura
8. Comtois
9. Pettersson
10. Morand
11. Kerdiles
12. Nattinen
13. Welinski
14. Megna
15. Kossila
16. Roy
17. Kopacka
18. Badini
19. Sorensen
20. Gates Jr.
21. Eriksson Ek
22. Sideroff
23. Soy
24. Dostie
25. Fiore

Notable Graduates/Departures:

Montour
Kase
Kerdiles
Soy
Megna

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Going with Jones... despite him being unpopular around here I think hes got a lot of athleticism and skill and if he can mature a bit and stay healthy hell be solid.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pettersson. He’s already a passable third pairing guy and has number three potential imo. Maybe not the highest upside on this list but high enough upside to justify him going now.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Went with Pettersson but it was a toss up between him and Jones. I just really like what I've seen from Petterrsson and the organization is high on him so that helps.

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
the GM of any other team would want Jones over Petterson. Jones has way more value and is the better prospect. His floor is Pettersons ceiling. Wow the Jones hate is getting weird.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
the GM of any other team would want Jones over Petterson. Jones has way more value and is the better prospect. His floor is Pettersons ceiling. Wow the Jones hate is getting weird.
yep... people hate him because of his edge/injuries issue but ignore the fact that hes a super athletic kid, great speed.... great skill... if he can mature/stay healthy hell be a good nhl player.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
All Jones has going for him is draft pedigree. Nothing he has done since being drafted indicates that he's anything more than a fourth liner at the NHL level. He's got such a tantalizing skillset, but he has more problems than just needing to grow up.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
All Jones has going for him is draft pedigree. Nothing he has done since being drafted indicates that he's anything more than a fourth liner at the NHL level. He's got such a tantalizing skillset, but he has more problems than just needing to grow up.
His skill set indicates way more than a 4th liner. The injuries are a concern. He’s got good hands and speed

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Worrying that Jones may end up a bit of a noesen who will develop just a bit slower and be ready just in time to be picked up on waivers. I know that shouldnt really affect how i see him as a prospect but im worrying about his time line and how he fits on our team.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Max Jones = Emerson Etem if healthy

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
Max Jones = Emerson Etem if healthy

Etem had 100+ points in a season in the WHL while Jones managed 50 in the OHL. Etem was basically the definition of a boom or bust while Jones was thought of more as a "solid" player who can contribute with hard hits and the occasional scoring contribution. Their playing style is nothing alike, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with your comparison. Are you saying that Jones will only end up playing the amount of games that Etem played in the NHL? Cause that's reasonable..

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Etem had 100+ points in a season in the WHL while Jones managed 50 in the OHL. Etem was basically the definition of a boom or bust while Jones was thought of more as a "solid" player who can contribute with hard hits and the occasional scoring contribution. Their playing style is nothing alike, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with your comparison. Are you saying that Jones will only end up playing the amount of games that Etem played in the NHL? Cause that's reasonable..
They dominated people because they are faster, and more physically developed.... They don't have very high hockey IQ and they both play like they are wearing blinders. They are pretty similar.

EDIT:

watch any max jones highlights they play very similar.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They dominated people because they are faster, and more physically developed.... They don't have very high hockey IQ and they both play like they are wearing blinders. They are pretty similar.

EDIT:

Jones has a significantly better shot than Etem and is also better defensively. He does have similar flaws but the raw tools are much better.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

EDIT:

Except his hands are way better

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
His skill set indicates way more than a 4th liner. The injuries are a concern. He’s got good hands and speed
His skillset indicates way more than a 4th liner but he's yet to actually put everything together and it's not looking too promising that he will eventually do so. On top of the well-known temperament and injury issues, his hockey IQ is suspect, he's inconsistent, and though he shows flashes of true skill at times, there's no trend to indicate that he'll actually turn these flashes into a sustained high level of play. He can end up on highlight reels, but there's not much to note in between.

I do think he's better than Etem and will adapt much better to a career as an energy-line forward in the NHL provided he can stay healthy, but I'm just not high on him at all beyond that.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but that's just my take on it.

Reactions: Doothpick

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pettersson is already an acceptable 3d pairing option. And at 22 he is pretty much a project for #4 or even #3. Comparingly, let`s say that would be top9 for forwards.
If you think Jones is a lock for top9, then idk what to say other than:'' I think there`s a very long road for him to get there''.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pettersson is already an acceptable 3d pairing option. And at 22 he is pretty much a project for #4 or even #3. Comparingly, let`s say that would be top9 for forwards.
If you think Jones is a lock for top9, then idk what to say other than:'' I think there`s a very long road for him to get there''.
I agree about pettersson…. he just lacks flashiness to his game... and honestly he would be better off in a diff system than Anaheim.... we already have Lindholm and fowler... and mahura/Larsson I think have much higher ceilings than Pettersson… hed be a good bottom pairing guy if we moved1 of Larsson/mahura/fowler at some point in the next couple years tho.

As for jones... I think hes ready to play top 9 mins at the nhl level tomorrow... hes arguably the best athlete in our system... and skill wise I think you could argue hes up towards the top of our prospects too... great size/strength, plays solid defensively... and can be an energy guy, pretty good shot.... I feel like a lot of ducks fans are disappointed that he hasn't done much since being draft due to injuries and what not... but if he can stay healthy, he can become an absolute buzzsaw of a player. I honestly hope he spends a lot of time with Andrew cogliano, because that's someone I think he can model his game after a bit(obviously jones has a lil more scoring up side I think, and a physical mean streak).

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Went Marcus. Until Jones shows substantially more hockey IQ, there is no way to see him translating to more than a poor 3rd liner. Hopefully he develops in that area, but for so many you either have “it” or you don’t.

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018

EDIT:

I think I was going off of what I envision Jones to be at the NHL level vs what Etem was at the NHL level (playing style wise). I'll be honest and admit I never watched junior highlights of Etem and you're right, they do look similar.

Here's to hoping that Jones is able to learn his role on the team better than Etem was able to.. Etem was exciting to watch but he had one man army syndrome.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Etem failed because he had bad hands combined with his tunnel vision problems. Everyone talks about Cogs’ poor hands and shot but Etem was even worse. He had the dangle around Trouba in the playoffs but I honestly can’t recall him stickhandling by anyone else off the top of my head. He didn’t receive passes well, fumbled pucks in scoring opportunities, weak wrist shot. All the qualities a goal scorer needs Etem just didn’t have. Jones doesn’t have that deficiency imo. If he fails it will be solely because of injuries and lack of hockey sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->