Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lukas Dostal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
And the fact he plays with racing blinders on.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The issue with Jones is temperament, not hockey-IQ. It can hold a player back, but unlike smarts, you can outgrow having a terrible attitude.

I don't think the IQ is very strong either though. He's able to use physical talents to create space and opportunities but 48 assists in 127 OHL games sure doesn't scream "playmaker".

I prefer Comtois as a prospect because he has similar size and strength, and while less explosive, to me shows a better use of his linemates and general better understanding of the game.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think the IQ is very strong either though. He's able to use physical talents to create space and opportunities but 48 assists in 127 OHL games sure doesn't scream "playmaker".

I prefer Comtois as a prospect because he has similar size and strength, and while less explosive, to me shows a better use of his linemates and general better understanding of the game.

I don't see hockey-IQ as something that is strictly about playmaking. I also don't put the Q on the same tier as the O, though I'd put both comfortably above the W.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fair enough.

I think there has to be at least some sort of deficiency or question mark there. I know in his draft year he was an OHL rookie and stuck behind a lot of talent - and since then I can understand the injuries can excuse some of the struggles/lack of chemistry, plus the sentiment that the big boys take longer and what not. But still, after 127 OHL games with the physical tools to potentially dominate, the numbers should be more impressive.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think there has to be at least some sort of deficiency or question mark there. I know in his draft year he was an OHL rookie and stuck behind a lot of talent - and since then I can understand the injuries can excuse some of the struggles/lack of chemistry, plus the sentiment that the big boys take longer and what not. But still, after 127 OHL games with the physical tools to potentially dominate, the numbers should be more impressive.

I don't see it that way. I felt that there was smart play within the strictures of a dated approach to physical hockey play - a mentality that I think can evolve into something more effective. That the numbers aren't there isn't surprising to me, nor the injuries.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't see it that way. I felt that there was smart play within the strictures of a dated approach to physical hockey play - a mentality that I think can evolve into something more effective. That the numbers aren't there isn't surprising to me, nor the injuries.

I'm not trying to paint a picture of a big dummy charging around but I just see his vision and ability to process being the weakest part of his game as of now.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm not trying to paint a picture of a big dummy charging around but I just see his vision and ability to process being the weakest part of his game as of now.

I think it's a matter of interpretation. I see it as a result of coaching and mindset, and you see it as something innate. We'll find out what the case is eventually, but I don't think it's clear cut at this point. If you're right, I think it's a major strike against him, and it'll probably damn him to being a fringe player or grinder.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Any team if asked would take Jones currently over Terry, Larson, or Mahura in a draft
Even with the fluke injuries
I guarantee in a trade Jones would be preferred to the 3

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Any team if asked would take Jones currently over Terry, Larson, or Mahura in a draft

I don't even know if the ducks would take Jones over those three at this point. Could still redeem himself though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Cmon Dirk you know that’s not the case. The only guy teams may currently prefer Jones to is Mahura.

Reactions: Vipers31

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Cmon Dirk you know that’s not the case. The only guy teams may currently prefer Jones to is Mahura.
What is Larsonns upside? A #4-7 dman
Troy Terry?
Max Jones has a much higher upside with his size, mean streak, speed and offensive ability
Injuries that are for the most part bad luck doesn't change that especially because he is only 20

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Troy Terry?
Max Jones has a much higher upside with his size, mean streak, speed and offensive ability
Injuries that are for the most part bad luck doesn't change that especially because he is only 20
If were talking up sides
Larsson top 4
Troy Terry top 6 forward
Jones is a top 9

Not disagreeing that I like jones a lot as a prospect. I think he has a higher floor than terry, terry is kinda boom/bust imo… but I think your underselling Larsson a bit... I think hes at the very least going to be a solid top 4 dmen.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Troy Terry?

Well for a guy with supposedly huge upside his production was awfully average in juniors. He is fast, physical and has a good shot but he’s lacking in terms of creativity and hockey sense. Tunnel vision is a term I would use when describing him. If he can stay healthy he does have good enough physical tools to be a good bottom 6er, maybe even a second liner if absolutely everything goes right.

Terry has much more skill, is shifter and is a very intelligent player. He needs to put on some muscle but once he does that at worst case he’s going to be smart enough to carve out a career as a bottom 6 forward and if the offense translates he has a good chance of being a top 6 guy.

Larsson could be as good as a guy like Hjalmarsson, he’s very good defensively and should be able to put up 20 points at the nhl level. I would say his realistic range is a number 3-6 guy. There is far less risk there than there is with Jones.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Mahura has a higher upside than all of them.

I think you could see him do what Theodore or Josh Morrisey are doing in the right system

Reactions: Duck Off

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I’ve seen a bit of Jones but I haven’t really noticed if he’s a decent skater or not (edge wise). I know he’s good in a straight line but that’s where we’ve had some issues with recent draft picks like Etem and Ritchie. They can skate well enough for big men but their lateral movement, turns, and stops and starts are not very good. Jones at least has the nastiness to his game, so I doubt he’ll ever be an Etem but I feel like straight line speed is overrated and edgework is underrated.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

That's a ridiculous absolute statement with no evidence to support it. I'm not saying some teams wouldn’t prefer Jones, hell maybe even most (personally I doubt it though), but you're making a drastic statement with literally no evidence to support it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad