2018 Prospect Development Camp (7/10-7/14)

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
On the main board for Prospects there is a thread about ranking teams prospects and we're a nary a mention, after this prospect camp I still think we're a top 5 team, we have the forward depth and now we have that at defense, only downside is our goaltending. I'm sure I'm being a homer too.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think depth wise, we are certainly up there with the number of guys who have a shot to become regular NHL players

However, we don't really have any "game breakers" in our system outside of Ty Smith, which is what the outsiders will see. Now, at this point last year, nobody knew how good Nico or Bratt would be so quickly and nobody knew who Will Butcher even was

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
if nico was still a prospect we'd be much higher. im not really concerned about our prospect depth at all at this point, there's a great foundation to build on

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think depth wise, we are certainly up there with the number of guys who have a shot to become regular NHL players

However, we don't really have any "game breakers" in our system outside of Ty Smith, which is what the outsiders will see. Now, at this point last year, nobody knew how good Nico or Bratt would be so quickly and nobody knew who Will Butcher even was
No, we don't, we have a ton of nice assets but like you said, not really any blue chippers outside of Ty Smith.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
On the main board for Prospects there is a thread about ranking teams prospects and we're a nary a mention, after this prospect camp I still think we're a top 5 team, we have the forward depth and now we have that at defense, only downside is our goaltending. I'm sure I'm being a homer too.

We get barely mentioned because of where we play. Even after we drafted Nico, the main board had no desire to hype our prospect pool.

Fact is we had one of the best rookie classes in the whole league last year, which in the end is the true test of whether your prospect pool is any good.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We get barely mentioned because of where we play. Even after we drafted Nico, the main board had no desire to hype our prospect pool.

Fact is we had one of the best rookie classes in the whole league last year, which in the end is the true test of whether your prospect pool is any good.

That's true. NJ added four NHL players last year. Two teenagers and two guys who made a difference. Most teams would be ecstatic with that, but on this site it's all homerism all the time and twice on Sunday.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's true. NJ added four NHL players last year. Two teenagers and two guys who made a difference. Most teams would be ecstatic with that, but on this site it's all homerism all the time and twice on Sunday.

Main board cares more about pie in the sky what if situations then actual NHL production.

Why they think Swedish league numbers are somehow more impressive then NHL numbers.

I bet if you actually went back and looked at who they ranked as top 5 in previous years, it would show their rankings didn’t pan out.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Main board cares more about pie in the sky what if situations then actual NHL production.

Why they think Swedish league numbers are somehow more impressive then NHL numbers.

I bet if you actually went back and looked at who they ranked as top 5 in previous years, it would show their rankings didn’t pan out.

The main boards are like parliamentary politics. Everyone has their “party affiliation” be it the Devils Rangers Isles or whoever. But then you have the special interests or single issue types like Swedish or Finn fans and of course the contrarians like the KHL supporters. It’s a polyglot mess.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I mean, I like our prospects a lot, but being realistic for a second - there's nothing incredibly special about our pool. A few guys generally expected to be 2nd-4th line forwards, a few guys who could be anywhere from #2-#7 defensemen, a few late round picks whose value has skyrocketed. These are things every team has.

Outside of Ty Smith (And I'd argue Joey Anderson, as well), there's nothing we have that almost every other team doesn't.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I mean, I like our prospects a lot, but being realistic for a second - there's nothing incredibly special about our pool. A few guys generally expected to be 2nd-4th line forwards, a few guys who could be anywhere from #2-#7 defensemen, a few late round picks whose value has skyrocketed. These are things every team has.

Outside of Ty Smith (And I'd argue Joey Anderson, as well), there's nothing we have that almost every other team doesn't.

Yes but that’s essentially true for all teams. If a team is lucky they have one or two special talents waiting in the wings but fans from other teams see their Joey Andersons and Mike McLeods as special while the same players with NJ or whoever those fans disrespect are seen as meh. Look I get it. The average poster is probably college age and likely has more interest in the turmoil on the site than the reality on the ice. I’m thinking most prospect pools are fairly close to each other in terms of developing NHL players and beyond players picked in the top two or three true superstars are not that prevalent. For example I see Pettersson as eventually becoming an excellent player but the Forsberg comparisons some have drawn for him I find hyperbolic. That doesn’t stop those VAN/Sweden fans from valuing him as better than Forsberg when ranking prospect pools. Alternatively take a look at a guy like Rubstov for PHI. He hasn’t done much at the junior level and if he was a NJ pick fans of other teams would be mocking this fan base. He’s a lower first round pick but the point remains. Also, NJ has only had one recent pick in the top three. He’s done quite well but the team hasn’t been bad enough long enough to rack up the top picks like BUF or EDM etc. Presumably at some point those prospects make those teams better and the fans can talk about the games rather than the prospect pools.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The fans don’t talk about the games. They simply move on to the next prospect to hype, while the ones they were hyping before bust out.

Certain team’s prospect pools have been ranked high for years with no actual results to back it up at the NHL level.

Also I think Joey might be getting underestimated by claiming he is just a guy.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

My3Sons

Sponsor
a few of us were pissed when the flyers picked him up

the thing is, he's not even that bad statistically. and he won with acadie-bathurst so that helps some

The only point I was trying to make is that with a very small number of exceptions, the prospect pools are very similar. The best prospects only stay prospects for one offseason, maybe two. Look at a guy like Mittlestadt. He's in the NHL already and will cease to be a prospect shortly. Maybe he thrives as a wing with Eichel or maybe he thrives as a 2C or maybe he starts getting beaten around and struggles a bit along the way. No matter the outcome, BUF won't have the "high end" prospects next season as they'll be on the team and whatever is left is the same as everyone else.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Just reading the bio, and looking at the stats, Carpenter reminds me of Coleman. Aggressive player, good speed, goal heavy stat line.

Carpenter's junior season looks to be better then anything Coleman posted.

What? Coleman was a PPG for his final two years at Miami and above .5 Goals/Game. They didn't call him Goalman for nothing.

Edit: Carpenter has solid numbers as well.

Reactions: Darkauron

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Certain team’s prospect pools have been ranked high for years with no actual results to back it up at the NHL level.

Here's a fun one from a few years ago.

Power Ranking the Farm Systems of All 30 NHL Teams

Apparently Montreal had a better farm system than us.

Anaheim at 25? :laugh: They had Devante Smith-Pelley as the top prospect for a group that included Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen, John Gibson and Rickard Rakell.

Funny to see "John Gaudreau" listed as one of the "other top prospects" on the Flames behind the mighty Sven Baertschi.

Maple Leafs were rated middle of the pack on the back of "dominant NHL player" Joe Colbourne and his powerhouse backup squad of Mark Owuya, Tyler Biggs, Carter Ashton and Stuart Percy. At least they had Morgan Rielly in there.

Edmonton somehow earned 7th place on the list. Oscar Klefbom and Nurse turned out well, but none of their other "top prospects" did. Remember Taylor Fedun, Martin Gernat and Toni Rajaala? I don't.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What? Coleman was a PPG for his final two years at Miami and above .5 Goals/Game. They didn't call him Goalman for nothing.

Edit: Carpenter has solid numbers as well.
wasn't poo pooing Coleman's stats. Said he and Carpenter's #'s(and perhaps overall game) were similar, but note that Coleman played with Czarnik who was near an assist per game. Carpenter was the leading goal scorer and tied for points lead this past season, thus I give him a bit of an edge over Coleman's best season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Prospect comparisons between teams are always weird and arbitrary. I mean, I know what the definition of a prospect is, but it bothers me that 19 year old Nico Hischier isn't included on our prospect list whereas 23 year old Haydn Fleury can still be paraded as an elite prospect.

This would be a lot me interesting if it was simply a 23 and under list. Just because a guy played a season in the NHL doesn't mean they're done developing, and teams shouldn't be punished for successfully transitioning players to higher levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->