Injury Report: 2018 Playoffs: Adam Erne (out)

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
To expound a little more on Sustr, he's 27 years old, has played 5 years, over 350 NHL games combined between playoffs and regular season. He's been scratched for both these games and roughly half of the regular season. Why do we think that is and what does that say about him? What does that say about what our coaching staff thinks? About their trust? A fringe #6 defenseman who isn't really all that good at anything is not a solution to Girardi. If anything we should give Dotchin a look and pair him with Hedman while we keep Stralman with McDonagh and Segachev with Coburn. It's the path of least resistance and the path that has somewhat worked.

If we see Sustr I'm not going to be happy. I have stuck by the coaching staff through thick and thin and I won't stand to see that bumbling fool ever again. I have seldom wished for a player to leave and Sustr makes the short list
I always get a kick out people on these boards referring to NHL players with terms like "bumbling fool". Whatever you think of Sustr, out of the tens of thousands of young men who play at a high level and dream of getting just one chance, he made it to the NHL and is good enough in the minds of people who have forgotten more hockey than you and all of your ancestors for the rest of time will ever know to have played 350 games over the course of 5 years. You know what that makes him? A great hockey player. Great in the NHL context, no, but certainly great enough to not be referred to by you or any other wanna be on this board as a "bumbling fool".

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Sustr if the difference between winning and losing this series then we're a terrible team, the effects of a 6th D-man will be marginal and Sustr should be able to hold his own in that role. Not sure why people are crying.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If Sustr if the difference between winning and losing this series then we're a terrible team, the effects of a 6th D-man will be marginal and Sustr should be able to hold his own in that role. Not sure why people are crying.
Dotchin can be that difference maker though. I just don’t know yet for which team. :sarcasm:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I always get a kick out people on these boards referring to NHL players with terms like "bumbling fool". Whatever you think of Sustr, out of the tens of thousands of young men who play at a high level and dream of getting just one chance, he made it to the NHL and is good enough in the minds of people who have forgotten more hockey than you and all of your ancestors for the rest of time will ever know to have played 350 games over the course of 5 years. You know what that makes him? A great hockey player. Great in the NHL context, no, but certainly great enough to not be referred to by you or any other wanna be on this board as a "bumbling fool".
Come on. It's the Internet. We vent. At least we're not hanging out in the parking lot heckling him after games. I mean, "bumbling fool" is pretty tame if we're talking about Sustr specifically. I'd have gone with something else, personally. Something with a bit more bite to it. Something that really paints an accurate picture. Maybe something like... just kidding.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
It's not so much that I'm worried about Sustr as I'm worried about Sustr-Coburn. For whatever reason, those two on the ice together is just bad luck. Honestly, Sustr was adequate during our last runs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think that's true if Cooper/Bowness learned something from the Chicago series (and Quenville's use of his 5-6) and severely limit his minutes, and shelter him as much as possible.

Stralman had a pretty terrible game, but it seems like the smart thing to do would be to put the bulk of our RHD responsibility on him, since he's the best we've got over there.

But I do agree that, if used properly, neither Sustr nor Dotchin should make a huge impact. My fear is we'll see one of them with 16 minutes and a -4.

Reactions: Hoek and Bolt 45

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think that's true if Cooper/Bowness learned something from the Chicago series (and Quenville's use of his 5-6) and severely limit his minutes, and shelter him as much as possible.

Stralman had a pretty terrible game, but it seems like the smart thing to do would be to put the bulk of our RHD responsibility on him, since he's the best we've got over there.

But I do agree that, if used properly, neither Sustr nor Dotchin should make a huge impact. My fear is we'll see one of them with 16 minutes and a -4.

That's a coaching issue not a sustr issue, every team has a sustr or worse how you use them is up to the coach. Carle and Sustr out there for 14mins in the cup final was not their fault.

Though I think Cooper has learned his lesson with Hedmans usage the past 2 years and even more so now that we have McDonagh like I said it's not that big a deal if sustr or Dotchin or whoever is in

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
In Stralman's defense, he was absolutely gassed by the end of the last one.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Come on. It's the Internet. We vent. At least we're not hanging out in the parking lot heckling him after games. I mean, "bumbling fool" is pretty tame if we're talking about Sustr specifically. I'd have gone with something else, personally. Something with a bit more bite to it. Something that really paints an accurate picture. Maybe something like... just kidding.
Fair enough, but I think you know what I'm getting at. There are no bumbling fools out there. The 23rd man on worst team in the NHL is a great hockey player. I've been on the ice with guys as both a player and an official and have marveled at the talent of the guys who DON'T make it, which gives me tremendous respect for the guys that do. Even for 1 game. So, yeah, I get it, Sustr has become this boards whipping boy and I guess that's fine, but he's got 350 NHL games under his belt and that's pretty damn good.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
In Stralman's defense, he was absolutely gassed by the end of the last one.
Stralman did have a poor game but that 20 second dig in the corner kind of made up for it. He'll come back strong. Speaking of gassed, does anyone else have a concern about Vasy's stamina in a long OT game? Yeah, it was a tough third period and there was a lot of pressure but he looked utterly spent at the end of yesterday's game. Unusually so IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's a coaching issue not a sustr issue, every team has a sustr or worse how you use them is up to the coach. Carle and Sustr out there for 14mins in the cup final was not their fault.

Though I think Cooper has learned his lesson with Hedmans usage the past 2 years and even more so now that we have McDonagh like I said it's not that big a deal if sustr or Dotchin or whoever is in

Yeah, but I think it's the Sustr + Bowness/Cooper thing that people are worried about, more than just Sustr himself.

But it's definitely encouraging that we actually play Hedman like a #1 these days.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Peca is more physical so that mean that Cally might be out for the Boston series too. Peca is a much harder hitter than Conacher. I'd be shocked if he doesn't finish out the Devils series.
This is laughable Peca is anything but physical and Conacher is nicknamed honey badger for a reason. Give me the knawing and annoying badger on the forth line any day.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Sustr for just one game please! Conacher will be ok on 4th line or Coop may Coop and go with 7 d and stick Dotchin or Koekkoek in there along with Sustr.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Fair enough, but I think you know what I'm getting at. There are no bumbling fools out there. The 23rd man on worst team in the NHL is a great hockey player. I've been on the ice with guys as both a player and an official and have marveled at the talent of the guys who DON'T make it, which gives me tremendous respect for the guys that do. Even for 1 game. So, yeah, I get it, Sustr has become this boards whipping boy and I guess that's fine, but he's got 350 NHL games under his belt and that's pretty damn good.
I mean, you're right. Even stick time at your average rink can be a real eye-opener. But sometimes players who make it, particularly on-the-fringe players, don't really seem to put in a level of effort that shows they grasp just how lucky they are to be there at all. There's a reason you'll never hear anyone say anything remotely close to negative about a player like Gourde.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Stralman did have a poor game but that 20 second dig in the corner kind of made up for it. He'll come back strong. Speaking of gassed, does anyone else have a concern about Vasy's stamina in a long OT game? Yeah, it was a tough third period and there was a lot of pressure but he looked utterly spent at the end of yesterday's game. Unusually so IMO.
I've seen all I need to see of playoff Stralman at this point. Zero concerns about him. That corner dig was pure, veteran, playoff gold. So wise.

As for Vasy? My gut feeling is that there's some sort of superstitious reason why I shouldn't talk about his game at this time of the year. His face looked flushed and he was sweating a lot. That's all I can say for sure. I would prefer he didn't look that way.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Coburn too yet Stralman was on the ice nonstop for it felt like the last 15 minutes of the 3rd last night. I saw Serg mix in on RD but Coburn didn’t get much TOI then. Odd.

The D were scrambling with pairings in the third due to Girardi being absent. As much as other teams scoff at him, G's a very solid defensive player for us. So the others had to double shift. Strålman got caught on the ice for an extra, extra long shift in addition because of back to back icings. No wonder he and the rest of the players on that shift were gassed which is part of the reason for the Devils' third goal.

You can see it in the TOI/shift totals. Stråls had the most TOI in four less shifts than Mack or Heddy.
Strålman TOI 24:45 26 shifts
McD TOI 23:49 30 shifts
Hedman TOI 23:18 30 shifts

Yeah, that 20 second scrum was impressive, especially since at one time he was digging in there against three Devils and still kept possession. He doesn't usually have a bad game so when he does, it kinda sticks out. :P He'll be fine.

If Girardi is out for the next game, as much as I can't believe I'm saying this, I'd almost rather have Sustr rotate in as one of our RHD rather than Dotchin. Dotchin was not good in his last few games. He'd be good for one game after being benched then go back to stupid mode.

Let's hope Girardi will be back VERY soon. :eek:

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I wouldn’t mind seeing Conacher one bit. How far along is Erne anyway?
About 3 months pregnant

You've logged into the wrong account Hose.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
I mean, you're right. Even stick time at your average rink can be a real eye-opener. But sometimes players who make it, particularly on-the-fringe players, don't really seem to put in a level of effort that shows they grasp just how lucky they are to be there at all. There's a reason you'll never hear anyone say anything remotely close to negative about a player like Gourde.
Certainly true about Gourde, though yesterday's game was not his best. Not a result of poor effort obviously and you can't be great every time out.

One last thing about Sustr. As I noted, in an NHL context he is an average player at best but one thing I 'd like you to think about when considering his level of effort or care. Exceptionally tall players often don't look like they are moving very quickly which can be interpreted as not giving full effort, conversely, exceptionally short players often look like they are moving faster than they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad