OT: 2018 Phillies: Part trey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Curious, if we do get Machado and Harper, does Machado still play SS or will be back at 3B? I'd only say SS because I think that one the players that did better this year was Franco, especially at the plate.

--------------Quinn---------------
Herrera------------------Harper
-------------------------------------
-----Machado----Hernandez----
Franco-------------------Hoskins
------------------P-----------------
----------Ramos/Alfaro----------

Something like that? Basically, f*** Santana.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Curious, if we do get Machado and Harper, does Machado still play SS or will be back at 3B? I'd only say SS because I think that one the players that did better this year was Franco, especially at the plate.

Something like that? Basically, **** Santana.

With Kapler, he may pitch.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I thought they changed the rule so that teams don't lose their highest pick. They wouldn't have to give up anything to sign Machado since he was traded midseason.
Yeah I’m not sure about Machado. I know the Dodgers don’t get a first.

But Harper will definitely get a QO and you’ll forfeit your 1st if you sign him.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Something like that? Basically, **** Santana.

Franco was better, but choosing him over Crawford seems like a big mistake. Machado is a 3B and should play there.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah, i'm kind of bummed. Its one thing to not make the playoffs, its another thing to not even try once you're eliminated.

Charlie Manuel's Phillies never gave up

Reactions: kelmitchell

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Yeah, i'm kind of bummed. Its one thing to not make the playoffs, its another thing to not even try once you're eliminated.

Charlie Manuel's Phillies never gave up

What makes you think they weren’t trying? Failing does not mean there was a lack of trying.

I think the Phillies gave up against the Yankees in 2009, though it’d be unreasonable to fault them for that. Hamels had a more important matter to attend to so he looked unfocused in his WS start. At the end, Pettitte was tossing garbage in game 6, but the Phillies couldn’t hit him. Failure against lesser teams in 2010 and 2011 was disappointing. Baseball is so unpredictable and that affects success much more than “team effort”.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I would argue that getting absolutely manhandled for the better part of 2 months, and then once eliminated, get manhandled even more, is an indicator of a team that has given up.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
We wont lose our pick because no big name Will wanna come play for an organization thats this dysfunctional, i mean we have a manager who thinks this is little league and places guys where ever, he camt bring up any negatives because hes softer than baby shit, idk about you guys but if i were a big name free agent, im looking else where

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I thought they changed the rule so that teams don't lose their highest pick. They wouldn't have to give up anything to sign Machado since he was traded midseason.

Correct on Machado. The player has to have spent the entire season on the roster and have never received a QO before. Harper is eligible though, as FLYguy said.

If a free agent gets a QO and you went over the luxury tax last year, you give up your second and fifth best picks and lose 1 MM from your international bonus pool. If you sign an additional QFA, you give up your third and sixth best picks. If you got revenue sharing monies, you give up your third highest instead (and fourth if you sign another QFA). The Phillies fall into the area in the middle (neither tax nor sharing), which means it would cost them their second best pick and 500k from their bonus pool.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
The Phillies folding is going to give me a nice pay day. I had 79 wins in my preseason predictions with buddies. Thought I had no chance two weeks ago

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
I would argue that getting absolutely manhandled for the better part of 2 months, and then once eliminated, get manhandled even more, is an indicator of a team that has given up.

Oh, I misread the post.

But even if you’re right that they’ve given up, who cares? The season is gruelingly long. Tough to muster effort after all those games, especially after elimination

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they lose out in the final 3 or the Angels match in wins they will get the 14th pick in June.

Tankathon | 2019 MLB Draft Order

If they have the highest bid, I think they will be able to land FA's. Really hope they can get Machado, somehow trade Santana so Hoskins can play 1B and only 1B. Lots of work to be done, lots of questions need to be answered in the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->