OT: 2018 Phillies: Part trey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Why? Outside of some great starting pitching, we were so f***ing lucky to ever be that high in the NL East. I cannot think of a bigger fall of the face of the planet for a team that was in the lead of a division for so long. I also can't think of the last time the Phillies went this long without winning a series. And losing series against worse teams doesn't help either.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Why? Outside of some great starting pitching, we were so ****ing lucky to ever be that high in the NL East. I cannot think of a bigger fall of the face of the planet for a team that was in the lead of a division for so long. I also can't think of the last time the Phillies went this long without winning a series. And losing series against worse teams doesn't help either.

Yup and it was all Kaplers fault that the players couldn't hit.

Klentak even went out and got guys that are notoriously good hitters and Kapler made sure they couldn't hit the ball when they dressed up for the Phillies. 100% Kaplers fault that the players didn't play well.

Kapler went to bat 9 times a game and didn't get hits, Kapler is the one who pitched all of those innings to give up HRs and untimely walks.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Personnel choices hurt this team. While they did pay a lot for Santana, there wasn't a real reason to keep playing him game in and game out especially with how bad his hitting usually was. While he walked, his stats still weren't that good. Herrera falling from .370 to .260 and still playing him over Quinn was a big mistake as well. While I know we needed depth, but yeah Klentak got some real f***ing winners in trades... It was an all around failure but dear god did some of Kapler's decisions just piss me off. I do think the hitting coach should be gone though, considering how awful they were offensively. Whoever coaches fielding should not be doing that anymore. Because f*** me they were bad.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Personnel choices hurt this team. While they did pay a lot for Santana, there wasn't a real reason to keep playing him game in and game out especially with how bad his hitting usually was. While he walked, his stats still weren't that good. Herrera falling from .370 to .260 and still playing him over Quinn was a big mistake as well. While I know we needed depth, but yeah Klentak got some real ****ing winners in trades... It was an all around failure but dear god did some of Kapler's decisions just piss me off. I do think the hitting coach should be gone though, considering how awful they were offensively. Whoever coaches fielding should not be doing that anymore. Because **** me they were bad.

They played well for 4 months and bad for 2 months.

If you want to fire every coach who did a pretty good job for 66% of their season, you won't have many coaches.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You don't just sit a guy with the track record of Herrera. He was platooning him a bit and then Quinn, as he always does, got hurt.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Baseball managers aren’t responsible for a team losing this many series in a row. They don’t have enough control over the game for that to happen.

This isn’t football, hockey or basketball.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
thank goodness we have more to watch than baseball now. this has been torture watching them fall apart the last month.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know some won't like it, but as a long time phillies fan from the early 80's, I can't get on board with the stats nerds as Jason Werth would put it. I'm not big on the advanced stats so I was against the GM and manager hires since I wanted the guy from KC that they interviewed for GM and not a rookie manager that is Mr. Positive.

That said the fact that last year only 2 teams had a worse record and they were able to hold down 1st place for most of the year with the youngest team in the league at least up until the trades is impressive. On the other hand I can't say I liked the moves the GM has made. I wasn't for the Santana/JA FA signings as I thought it was a year too soon to give up such high 2nd/3rd round picks. It seems like outside of Franco most of the guys regressed under Kapler. It was painful watching Hoskins in LF where he does not belong, or Kingery at SS where he shouldn't be imo.

I think they need to do something to get players back to their positions. Hoskins needs to be at 1B, Kingery I don't know what they do with and I'm not sure Crawford is the answer full time.

Either way it doesn't matter now, Kap is here and not going anywhere, same for the GM. Now we need to see what they do this off-season, management needs to step up and fix the roster so that they aren't one of the worst defensive teams in the league and one of the worst in the shift.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nola is honestly the only reason to watch this team

If they wrap Quinn in bubble wrap this off-season and he manages to stay healthy he's a lot of fun to watch. If Hoskins were to play all year at 1B and not look like he's going to kill himself diving for fly balls going head first into the wall. Plus I'd move him to 4th instead of 2nd in the lineup. I can't stand Santana at the 4 spot.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How?

1CBBCAFD-D710-49FA-A692-C34585D281CB.jpeg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
bohm, moniak, crawford, randolph all tore it up in the minors this year. Also, my previous sentence was a complete fabrication.

There is really no help on the horizon either than Haseley.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Why have they soured on Crawford? Its not like Kingery or Asdrubal have blown the doors off

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Washington is about the pass the Phillies, keep that in mind. Also, Phillies are on pace for a losing season. Funny how you can go from 1st in a division for most of the year to having a losing season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
bohm, moniak, crawford, randolph all tore it up in the minors this year. Also, my previous sentence was a complete fabrication.

There is really no help on the horizon either than Haseley.

Bohm had an injury but wouldn't say he tore it up at all. Moniak had a strong 2nd half but don't think he was overly impressive for a 1st overall pick. Crawford didn't hit much at LV and Randolph also had a better 2nd half then 1st but not sure how he tore it up. I thought it was a very disappointing year for Randolph and Moniak I'm not sure he's much better then Tocci was at the same age. I've heard some talk that they messed with MM's swing and then changed it back but he needs to show more power, better eye at the plate imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad