Prospect Info: 2018 Panthers top prospects vote, #7

Who is the Panthers #7 ranked prospect?

• Ryan Bednard (2015, #206), Bowling Green State Univ. (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Logan Hutsko (2018, #89), Boston College (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
#1 Henrik Borgström (2016, #23), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Springfield Thunderbirds (AHL) - 88.9% of votes
#2 Owen Tippett (2017, #10), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Mississauga Steelheads (OHL) - 55.2%
#3 Grigori Denisenko (2018, #15), Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL) - 46.4%
#4 Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40), Kärpät (Liiga) - 63.3%
#5 Maxwell Gildon (2017, #66), Univ. of New Hampshire (NCAA) - 39%
#6 Maxim Mamin (2016, #175), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Springfield Thunderbirds (AHL) - 27.5%

Below are the remaining prospects not included in the poll yet, vote for the next one to be added by replying.

Forwards: Bachman, Bajkov, Fidler, Greco, Haapala, Lammikko, Schütz, Shea, Wegwerth & Wilkie.

D-men: Brown, Byström, Downing, Finkelstein, Inamoto, Kinnunen, Krygier, Nässén & Schemitsch.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
im the only one giving stillman any love the last 2 votes. i think hes gonna be solid.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I would have ordinarily voted Hawrlyuk or Hunt here but it looks like their offensive production doesn't seem to be taking off in the way that I had hoped for them, and they're both reaching that age for forward prospects that are make-or-break in terms of up-or-out. Within the next year or two they have to prove that they're legit middle-6 NHL forwards or career AHL guys.

Gonna go with McCoshen, who appears to have upside as a bottom pairing guy for the time being. Still not entirely sold on Montembeault like the rest of you seem to be.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I voted for Ang, maybe he never played a professional Game, but he played more Games then McCoshen last Season.

That is also an Argument why i pass on McCoshen all the Time, in this kind of Age and developing Process only be in the practice Group brings Zero. We had this Discussion a few Times over the last Season and on other Prospect who also gone this Way. This is for me always a downgrade in the developing Process, no matter how much the Coach praise him for his energy in the Practice.

There is no better Way in learning and developing then playing Games.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I love Mamin, not sure how a good third liner beat out a potential #1 goalie though.

Montembeault here, easily.
To me, the entire ranking turned into a hockey news article right off the 2nd vote. I also don't see anyone else next to me at Saveology watching him practice when he's in town for the last few years, so for anyone to be sold or not on him...yeah I can understand why most wouldn't think to vote for him.

There is a good example of how ignorance does not mean stupidity.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
There is your reason. Not a guarantee. As Clint said, not everyone is sold on him.

He had a terrible year in the AHL. But he's clearly highly skilled - and plausible upside alone makes him, easily, a better prospect than Mamin.

and I LOVE Mamin. I think he should be a LOCK for a 4th line role next year. But his upside is limited.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He had a terrible year in the AHL. But he's clearly highly skilled - and plausible upside alone makes him, easily, a better prospect than Mamin.

and I LOVE Mamin. I think he should be a LOCK for a 4th line role next year. But his upside is limited.
I dunno about terrible, as far as I read when they won he was a huge reason and when they lost he was one of the only ones...unfortunately the latter happened too often to make his stats look good to the stat watchers...been watching goalies in NY for almost 30 years now, all with that problem...defense matters

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I would have ordinarily voted Hawrlyuk or Hunt here but it looks like their offensive production doesn't seem to be taking off in the way that I had hoped for them, and they're both reaching that age for forward prospects that are make-or-break in terms of up-or-out. Within the next year or two they have to prove that they're legit middle-6 NHL forwards or career AHL guys.

Gonna go with McCoshen, who appears to have upside as a bottom pairing guy for the time being. Still not entirely sold on Montembeault like the rest of you seem to be.
Still think the non love of Hunt is criminal. He may take another year, but he is going to be damn close to a PPG game this season in the AHL if he continues his curve. For an overaged undrafted FA, he is getting there IMO.

Cant teach hockey IQ, and the kid has it in spades. The AHL slowed down for him at the end of last season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Mamin's upside is limited because the coach only played him like 8 minutes per night, without even going to how he mostly played with two of our worst forwards that arguably shouldn't be in the line-up when everyone is healthy? He's a top9 PWF as it is already (rare thing for this organization, Noel is years away) and has the potential to become a Bergenheim type, a guy who can go up & down the line-up and won't hurt your team too much. The skill is there, it's more of whether Boughner gives him a chance at some point or not.

Monty's consistency issues are too much for me to ignore (to vote him until now), he is talented no doubt.

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Mamin's upside is limited because the coach only played him like 8 minutes per night, without even going to how he mostly played with two of our worst forwards that arguably shouldn't be in the line-up when everyone is healthy? He's a top9 PWF as it is already (rare thing for this organization, Noel is years away) and has the potential to become a Bergenheim type, a guy who can go up & down the line-up and won't hurt your team too much. The skill is there, it's more of whether Boughner gives him a chance at some point or not.
Agreed. Mamin has some serious skill, he’s not stuck as a grinder. He’s got good speed, soft hands, drives the net and can pass and shoot. I’m really pleased to have him. Bergenheim is a great comparison.

I also have this crazy thought that he’s like a poor man’s Getzlaf. I know it’s way off right now, and probably always, but just the way Mamin plays even in the grinder mode, he’s bigger than that, on forecheck can make stuff happen.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

Monty's consistency issues are too much for me to ignore (to vote him until now), he is talented no doubt.

Mamin's upside limitations have nothing to do with Boughner. That doesn't even make sense.

He's not a top-6 talent. Plain and simple.

I like Mamin alot. He will be a great third liner for us, but like I said, that's what he's limited to. A potential #1 goalie, even if raw, is a better "prospect" than a potential 3rd liner. AINEC.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Mamin's upside limitations have nothing to do with Boughner. That doesn't even make sense.

He's not a top-6 talent. Plain and simple.

I like Mamin alot. He will be a great third liner for us, but like I said, that's what he's limited to. A potential #1 goalie, even if raw, is a better "prospect" than a potential 3rd liner. AINEC.
Mamin reaching his full potential has everything to do with Boughner. There's been countless of players throughout the history of the league that have been mismanaged by the player's former team and went on to have success in a bigger role with a different team. This could easily happen if Boughner has the same type of mentality towards him that you have.

Potential 3rd liner is really selling Mamin short, since he's reached that point already. There's also a difference between a top6 talent and a player that can play in the top6 without hurting your team. Is Mamin going to become an important point producing forward? Probably not, but he isn't your prototypical stone hands bottom6 grinder either. His last year in the KHL playing limited minutes (3rd line IIRC), very good numbers. This past season in the AHL he wasn't far off from going PPG. You're going to seriously say the skill isn't there based on 8 minutes he played with two of our worst forwards?

We'll see how Monty does next year in the poll, if Bednard keeps on developing like he has over the past year. No offense to Monty, but I think a big chunk of the votes he's received (especially last year when he finished 4th) have been because he was literally the only goalie prospect we had. Predicting whether Monty becomes an NHL number 1 goalie at this point is a complete crapshoot, like it's always with goalies. What we do know is that consistency has been an issue for him for a long time now, dating back to his junior days.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Still think the non love of Hunt is criminal. He may take another year, but he is going to be damn close to a PPG game this season in the AHL if he continues his curve. For an overaged undrafted FA, he is getting there IMO.

Cant teach hockey IQ, and the kid has it in spades. The AHL slowed down for him at the end of last season.
Agree. I was surprised he wasn't even listed as a choice a couple rounds ago. People need to forget about draft status and look at results. The big knock against him is foot speed (fair) and he's a little older but that's okay because of results. If he puts up a PPG at AHL level next season it will be hard to ignore him.

re being older: Hunt is 22 and Mamin who is getting a ton of love is 23.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I like Mamin too but he doesn't look to have a lot of scoring potential. There's more offense in his game than we've seen but I do not see a top 6 forward.

He reminds me of a Sean Bergenheim type but will produce less offense, imo. He's a huge upgrade on the bottom 6 though when compared to Haley.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I like Mamin too but he doesn't look to have a lot of scoring potential. There's more offense in his game than we've seen but I do not see a top 6 forward.

He reminds me of a Sean Bergenheim type but will produce less offense, imo. He's a huge upgrade on the bottom 6 though when compared to Haley.
Watching Mamin on the forecheck is a thing of beauty. I hope they give him a chance to shine, or that he comes into camp with a chip on his shoulder. I would be fine if they split the 3rd and 4th line minutes this year down the middle if they play what could equate to two 3rd lines.

But we have some vets that I think we are going to force on the roster. Hopefully some of these guys show another positive step in the offseason to really drive home the talent gap that exists for BB and DT. Force their hands.

Based on what we have I dont see a justification to play McGinn, MacK, or Haley. Unless we need some muscle.

The forward group was long in numbers at the end of last season, before Hoffman, Borgstrom, and Tippett even entered a conversation. Lots of guys are playing for jobs.

Reactions: RainingRats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->