Prospect Info: 2018 OHL Prospects Review

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for this Brock. Your summary of Stanley's season looked positive. I didn't see him play much last year, but prior to the Jets drafting him and then watching him a little in his D+1, my concerns were mainly around how he handled forwards on the rush. To me his backwards skating wasn't great, and was exasperated by poor transition from forward to backward and poor lateral movement. As such, it seemed like he could get beat fairly easily by speedy forwards.

How did he look this past year in this regard?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks for this Brock. Your summary of Stanley's season looked positive. I didn't see him play much last year, but prior to the Jets drafting him and then watching him a little in his D+1, my concerns were mainly around how he handled forwards on the rush. To me his backwards skating wasn't great, and was exasperated by poor transition from forward to backward and poor lateral movement. As such, it seemed like he could get beat fairly easily by speedy forwards.

How did he look this past year in this regard?

I think it definitely improved, but it will be an issue as he moves forward to the pro game. A lot of OHL guys will dump in against him instead of playing against his reach, in hopes of getting to the puck before he does. Quite frankly, he really improved his ability to track down those loose pucks, or at the very least allow players to retrieve, then get the drop on them and seal them off and separate them from the puck before possession can truly be established. Again though, this is against OHL players. It will be a learning curve for him at the pro level as faster players look to try to exploit this. This is especially true as he figures out how much space he can give pro players off the rush, without giving them prime shooting opportunities.

Reactions: KillEmAll83

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Thx, I always enjoy reading your info Brock! I have been in Stanley's corner from day one, I think he'll be a long time NHLer, I liked my viewings of him this year. Next year is a big one for him! He's our most polarizing prospect ever! If we selected him with our original draft spot and didn't trade away a pick to move up I think the negativity would be far less!
Bottom pairing guy, and go from there!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->