Prospect Info: 2018 OHL Prospects Review

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Thanks Brock, I used to be a huge Plymouth Whaler fan i make the trek to Flint to watch once a year now. Fedor Gordeev intrigues me. Seems pretty agile for his size and rarely caught out of position. His ceiling could be pretty high if he figures it all out. He seemed to be a one man show the game I saw. Enjoyed your review, agree on Gordeev.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
When I see a player like Gordeev, in very limited viewings mind you, I'm reminded of Tyler Myers. Myers didn't put up any decent type of offense until his last year in the W. Is that a reasonable comparison?

It's not a bad comparison.

Important to remember that Myers played for the defensemen factory in Kelowna though. He had two NHL defensemen in Tyson Barrie and Luke Schenn ahead of him in his draft +1 year, and the Rockets were still a playoff team. Where as Gordeev was Flint's defense last year on a very poor team.

But, I really would be shocked if he doesn't have a big year similar to Myers' breakout season (~40 points). Just don't expect Flint to win the OHL Championship like Myers did in his final juniors season...;)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Important to remember that Myers played for the defensemen factory in Kelowna though. He had two NHL defensemen in Tyson Barrie and Luke Schenn ahead of him in his draft +1 year, and the Rockets were still a playoff team. Where as Gordeev was Flint's defense last year on a very poor team.

But, I really would be shocked if he doesn't have a big year similar to Myers' breakout season (~40 points). Just don't expect Flint to win the OHL Championship like Myers did in his final juniors season...;)
Schenn jumped right to the NHL, so he wasnt around in D+1.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good read, thanks for sharing.

Gets me a little more hyped about some of our prospects in the O especially considering a bulk of them are defensemen. Would love to see a couple pan out.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Schenn jumped right to the NHL, so he wasnt around in D+1.

That's correct. I was looking at Myers' draft year for his draft +1 by accident. That makes the comparison even less sensical because Myers' big explosion came in his draft +1. And he didn't even see a draft +2 season in the CHL because he was too busy winning the Calder.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At time of draft I had higher hopes for Eemeli Rasanen, but his development seems to have stagnated.

Leafs could really use a player like him both size wise being big and physical playing with poise and that he is RHD which is Leafs weak side.

Hopefully in the KHL he continues to develop, now playing a pro game against a higher level of competition.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018

I was purely talking stylistically. Big man with wheels and untapped offensive potential.

Reactions: Brock

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Is Sandin’s game similar to Tomas Kaberle? Before the Cam Jansen hit? Minus the shot?

Not a terrible comparison. But, I think Sandin has better scoring instincts and is certainly more aggressive in that sense than Kaberle ever was. And I think Sandin plays with a little more jam in the defensive end than Kaberle ever did.

The comparison that I've seen and heard being tossed around among scouts is actually Travis Dermott. I think it's a pretty decent one. But I'm also not a big fan of making comparisons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad