Prospect Info: 2018 OHL Prospects Review

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
serious question...I'm certainly not complaining and it seems a bit silly to post it considering where the Flyers were a few years ago but if you look out at the Flyers forwards and their contracts (not including Simmonds) even 3 years out there are probably 5-6 forward spots available (you have to figure that G, V, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, JVR, Couts may likely still have roles) and you have guys like Frost, Farabee, O'Brien, Allison, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Rubtsov, NAK, Vorobyov who are some of the guys competing for those spots and seem to have the upper hand at this point.

then you have a guy like Cates who's probably ranked as their #14-18th best forward with possibly an NHL future. What are you going to do with this whole other tier of players like Sushko, Cates, Kase, Lycksell, Strome, Westfalt Bunny, Laberge, Twary, etc...certainly not all will make it and they'll certainly have a hell of an AHL team but there just aren't enough spots for these guys and you can't keep everyone especially if some are ready for the NHL. Then they'll have another 8-10 players added to the mix in the 2019 draft (probably half of which will be forwards).

It seems as if they're really trying to push development forward by selecting mostly college (up to 4 years) and Swedish players over OHL players (make a decision in 2 years on their future) possibly in part due to the number of players they'll have ready to take the next step but maybe not having enough spots for them in the AHL. Then you have the whole 50 contract limit issue to deal with.

I have to wonder if Hextall will start to package some of these "middle tier" prospects for higher ceiling prospects. I know these players are ready at this point and a lot can change but the fact you have 18-20 forwards for 5-6 spots brings on a different sort of "problem".

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You stash a lot of these guys in the AHL for two years as organizational depth and watch their development. After two years you'll have a pretty good sense who is NHL caliber, who is an AHL lifer, and who is good enough to trade but not good enough to start.

You're not going to play Lycksell, Allison, etc on the 4th line, so once the top 9 is set, look for some offense first forwards to be traded, sometimes in packages for a targeted player, but often for future draft picks (McGinn, Cousins, Marody). But there's no rush, let these players show you who to keep on the ice

4th line guys are needed, not just for checking lines, but you need 4 forwards to play the PK on a regular basis, and 2 more when needed. You don't want your top 6 on the PK if you have solid bottom six guys to take those minutes, players like Farabee, O'Brien, Cates, Sushko, Twarynski, Rubtsov will be good candidates for that role. if they develop their offensive game, they can move up the ladder, if not, well what's wrong with a bunch of solid two way players on your fourth line.

[remember, for the next three years or so, there will be no open spots on the top 6 barring serious injury, until Giroux fades and they lose JVR or Voracek to the ED or trades, Couts, TK, Patrick are pretty much set indefinitely, so guys like Lindblom, Farabee, O'Brien, Frost, Allison, Rubtsov Laczynski and Ratcliffe are fighting for 3rd line spots at best - which means staying on the island requires being able to contribute as more than just a scorer]

Reactions: flyersfan187

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
serious question...I'm certainly not complaining and it seems a bit silly to post it considering where the Flyers were a few years ago but if you look out at the Flyers forwards and their contracts (not including Simmonds) even 3 years out there are probably 5-6 forward spots available (you have to figure that G, V, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, JVR, Couts may likely still have roles) and you have guys like Frost, Farabee, O'Brien, Allison, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Rubtsov, NAK, Vorobyov who are some of the guys competing for those spots and seem to have the upper hand at this point.

then you have a guy like Cates who's probably ranked as their #14-18th best forward with possibly an NHL future. What are you going to do with this whole other tier of players like Sushko, Cates, Kase, Lycksell, Strome, Westfalt Bunny, Laberge, Twary, etc...certainly not all will make it and they'll certainly have a hell of an AHL team but there just aren't enough spots for these guys and you can't keep everyone especially if some are ready for the NHL. Then they'll have another 8-10 players added to the mix in the 2019 draft (probably half of which will be forwards).

It seems as if they're really trying to push development forward by selecting mostly college (up to 4 years) and Swedish players over OHL players (make a decision in 2 years on their future) possibly in part due to the number of players they'll have ready to take the next step but maybe not having enough spots for them in the AHL. Then you have the whole 50 contract limit issue to deal with.

I have to wonder if Hextall will start to package some of these "middle tier" prospects for higher ceiling prospects. I know these players are ready at this point and a lot can change but the fact you have 18-20 forwards for 5-6 spots brings on a different sort of "problem".

As you said, I don't think everyone is going to hit here, so I think you have to play it out and allow the cream to rise to the top. We've been lucky in our drafting, not only are we hitting on the first round picks, it seems like our 3 - 7 round drafting is good. That's not likely to continue.

At one point in the late 90's/early 2000s the flyers had like 4 0r more quality young goalies (Boucher, Oullet, Cechmanec, Nittymaki...@Bill_Meltzer uses this example quite frequently which is where I stole it). None of those players became the player they were pegged to become, Bouch and Cechmanec had early career success that fizzeled out, Nitty was not consistent, and Oullet flat out stunk. 3 of those 4 were traded. I think Nitty was allowed to walk, can't remember to be honest.

My point being, let those players fight it out to see who fit best, I'm all for a trade (and at some stage, you can expect some of these guys to get traded) but there's no reason to worry about this this year or even next for that matter. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Pantokrator

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

HG_Article_Detail_Page_Image.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
more seriously, not everyone is going to pan out. Those that look like they will will either make the team or be traded off, or be lost to free agency. The hope right now is that they develop, we evaluate well and thereby keep the best of the lot.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
with this coaching staff the evaluation and development part is the part that gives me the most concern. in the past some really good players were traded because of misuse and because of coaches input.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Great write up.

Giroux will start the year on the wing, so there will be a spot if Frost can earn it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It might be a while. Cap'n saw Bunny compared to Chris Thorburn and smashed his laptop, started speaking in tongues, and is wandering around rural Missouri naked in a fugue state with Spotted Dick tucked under his arm. Pray for him.

Plot twist: The Captain has been noted fan of Chris Thorburn over the years.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Plot twist: The Captain has been noted fan of Chris Thorburn over the years.

I super loathe GameofThronesburn, but I don't get too wound up about comparisons like these - I can and will wait patiently for Bunny to arrive and blow the lid off this dump. About 98% of our fans will be sitting there with their jaws on the floor, because despite all my edification on the matter, they will not see it coming. Meanwhile, I will be on the couch laughing my nuts off and high-fiving Spotted Dick in the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad