2018 OHL Gold Cup

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
This tournament is almost like a selection camp for Canada u17s (which is why last year Matthew Robertson wasn't included). However, this year there are at least 2 (I haven't checked the rest) full American citizens participating this year (Ryan Beck & Stephen Halliday). What does this mean? Are they getting their Canadian citizenship? Halliday has lived in Canada for a couple years but Beck has lived in Michigan. I assume they didn't just run out of players to participate.

Dual Citizens participating:
Rocco Testa-Basi (Barrie)
David Campbell (North Bay)
Dylan Robinson (Oshawa)
Tyler Tullio (Oshawa)
Dylan Petersen (Ottawa)
Ethan Cardwell (Saginaw)
Jacob Perrault (Sarnia)
Kyle Aucoin (Sudbury)
Dylan Robinson (Windsor)

Full Canadians that played in the US:
Colby Ambrosio (Ottawa)
Sahil Panwar (London)

Full Americans:
Stephen Halliday (Niagara)
Ryan Beck (Barrie)
Marco Latassa (Owen Sound)

These nationalities are from eliteprospect, sorry if I jumped the gun and am wrong.

Last edited:

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
This tournament is almost like a selection camp for Canada u17s (which is why last year Matthew Robertson wasn't included). However, this year there are at least 2 (I haven't checked the rest) full American citizens participating this year (Ryan Beck & Stephen Halliday). What does this mean? Are they getting their Canadian citizenship? Halliday has lived in Canada for a couple years but Beck has lived in Michigan. I assume they didn't just run out of players to participate, Stranges isn't there.

Some interesting omissions from Team HEO. Dylan Peterson is one example. Maybe he decided not to play on the team but he was on the try-out roster. Three forwards who were not selected in the OHL draft are on the team while Eastwood and Bissonnette were left off (although Bissonnette tried out as a D). On D Bays made it over OHL draft picks Richer and Baptiste.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Does anyone know how citizenship typically works in this tournament? From a quick scan, it looks like essentially every player is at least a dual...leading me to believe that Halliday and Beck have citizenship.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Who are the 30 guys not selected in the OHL priority selection?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ottawa tops number of picks at 10 followed by Petes and Wolves with 9 for what it’s worth

Looking back at which teams had the most players in past tournaments, there doesn't seem to be a correlation of # of prospects in the OHL Gold Cup to success from that draft class, for what it's worth

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
This tournament is almost like a selection camp for Canada u17s (which is why last year Matthew Robertson wasn't included). However, this year there are at least 2 (I haven't checked the rest) full American citizens participating this year (Ryan Beck & Stephen Halliday). What does this mean? Are they getting their Canadian citizenship? Halliday has lived in Canada for a couple years but Beck has lived in Michigan. I assume they didn't just run out of players to participate.

Dual Citizens participating:
Rocco Testa-Basi (Barrie)
David Campbell (North Bay)
Dylan Robinson (Oshawa)
Tyler Tullio (Oshawa)
Dylan Petersen (Ottawa)
Ethan Cardwell (Saginaw)
Jacob Perrault (Sarnia)
Kyle Aucoin (Sudbury)
Dylan Robinson (Windsor)

Full Canadians that played in the US:
Colby Ambrosio (Ottawa)
Sahil Panwar (London)

Full Americans:
Stephen Halliday (Niagara)
Ryan Beck (Barrie)
Marco Latassa (Owen Sound)

These nationalities are from eliteprospect, sorry if I jumped the gun and am wrong.
Dylan Peterson is not participating.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Looking back at which teams had the most players in past tournaments, there doesn't seem to be a correlation of # of prospects in the OHL Gold Cup to success from that draft class, for what it's worth
All about development or lack thereof isn’t it

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Good point. Hounds had 5 selected. But had no 2nd or third pick and selected 5 Americans out of 13 selections in the draft. So 5 out of 8 eligible drafted players were selected for OHL Cup.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
Some interesting omissions from Team HEO. Dylan Peterson is one example. Maybe he decided not to play on the team but he was on the try-out roster. Three forwards who were not selected in the OHL draft are on the team while Eastwood and Bissonnette were left off (although Bissonnette tried out as a D). On D Bays made it over OHL draft picks Richer and Baptiste.

Hmm. Interesting in any event, HEO will field one of the smallest if not the smallest Team at the Event. And if size truly does matter than the biggest three Teams GTHL Red, GTHL Blue and OMHA Black should finish near the top! Time will tell!

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
With the event coming closer. Here is a copy of the schedule. A good matchup Saturday afternoon, could be an important game for seeding.
Thu, May 03
GN AWAY HOME TIMESCOREBOXSCOREGS
1Team OMHA WhiteTeam GTHL Blue 1:30 PM Activa PJD
2Team GTHL RedTeam ALLIANCE 3:45 PM Activa PJD
3Team HNOTeam HEO 6:00 PM Activa PJD
4Team OMHA BlackTeam NOHA 8:15 PM Activa PJD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Fri, May 04
5Team OMHA WhiteTeam HNO 1:30 PM Activa PJD
6Team NOHATeam GTHL Red 3:45 PM Activa PJD
7Team HEOTeam GTHL Blue 6:00 PM Activa PJD
8Team OMHA BlackTeam ALLIANCE 8:15 PM Activa PJD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sat, May 05
9Team GTHL BlueTeam HNO 9:30 AM Activa PJD
10Team ALLIANCETeam NOHA 11:45 AM Activa PJD
11Team HEOTeam OMHA White 2:00 PM Activa PJD
12Team GTHL RedTeam OMHA Black 4:15 PM Activa PJD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sun, May 06
13:B4:A4 8:00 AM Activa PJD
14:B3:A3 8:15 AM Activa Alumni
15:B2:A2 10:15 AM Activa PJD
16:B1:A1 12:30 PM Activa PJD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Many of these teams are selected almost exclusively before the OHL Draft takes place. Number of drafted players playing by team is no indication of future success.

Players participating will have at minimum dual citizenship. It's a hockey canada event for future selection of national teams so that's mandatory. There are no FULL americans.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Many of these teams are selected almost exclusively before the OHL Draft takes place. Number of drafted players playing by team is no indication of future success.

Players participating will have at minimum dual citizenship. It's a hockey canada event for future selection of national teams so that's mandatory. There are no FULL americans.
I figured but it was just the nationalities given on elite prospects

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Big upset IMO opinion last night. Team NOHA with the win over OMHA black. With OMHA black being a loaded team and typically NOHA being weaker in this tournament from years gone past, it was an exciting game to watch.

Byfield looked good, scored, good hands in tight to the net. Good skating with a long stride, able to get up to speed quickly.
Jake Murray looked really good, could control the play and good decisions.

The player that stole the show for me in that game was Reece Proulx. Made some good saves at timely points of the game.

Congrats to NOHA last night.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I was impressed with young Ranger pick Winsor. Kid is always around the puck and has a bit of edge to his game. Still needs to put some beef on though and like Ward said is a year away at least. Valade is a solid pick for the Rangers. Kid has what it takes to be a first rounder for sure. Watched Byfield for a period last night. He is what is advertised IMO. Big kid that skates with long smooth strides. Sudbury hit the jack pot with him. Lot off speedy players in this Gold Cup.

horner

May 22, 2007
Is the final game on Rogers Sportsnet
When is the final game.
Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->