2018 ohl draft April 7th

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
We released our OHL Draft Top 80 today.

HockeyProspect.com is pleased to release our ranking of the Top 80 prospects eligible for the 2018 OHL Priority Selection. In December, we released our prospects rankings sorted by the various leagues. Today we are releasing our updated prospects rankings combined in one overall top 80 OHL Draft prospects ranking. Please note that we simply rank the prospects and we DO NOT care if the player is not expected to report to the OHL. We simply scout the players and rank them.
It was a tight race for the number one spot on our list but leading the way is York-Simcoe Express centre, Quinton Byfield. HockeyProspect.com’s Mike Mackley on Byfield. “He’s the total package of size, strength, speed and skill and has shown a consistent ability to lead his team.” Byfield narrowly edged out Jamie Drysdale, from the Toronto...

RANKPLAYERPOSTEAMLEAGUEHEIGHTWEIGHT
1Byfield, QuintonLCYork-Simcoe ExpressETA6’03205
2Drysdale, JamieRDToronto MarlborosGTHL5.11157
3Perfetti, ColeLCVaughan KingsGTHL5.09.25170
4Stranges, AntonioLCDetroit Little Caesars 16UT1EHL U165.08152
5Power, OwenLDMississauga RepsGTHL6.04.5207
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Full story

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Owen Power is really trending up. I've been impressed with his offensive instincts.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Moore above Drysdale is interesting... what's your thought process there?

Drysdale's skill set is very high, and some of his jukes on the blue line are gif worthy, but I prefer the pure production of Moore. Everything he does out there is with creating offence in mind. Honestly, it's a little mind blowing. Does not play like a 15 year old.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Not to diminish Drysdale, who in addition to terrific skating/skill set, gives full effort in the defensive zone. His entire game is rounding out well.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Need to talk to anyone on here who has seen Chayka (JRC) more than I have. Tonight was my 3rd JRC game of the year but the 1st time that Chayka has played. I was really excited to finally see him after seeing so many people say he's a 1st round pick. Definitely has the size but he must've just carelessly turned it over at least 6 times including one at the end that lead directly to a Rory Kerins goal to put the Rebels back in the game. Did I just see his worst game ever or is he consistently pretty loose with the puck? He did have 1 rush on the PP at the end of the 2nd where he walked the D and fired a laser off the goalies shoulder, but man was he shaky in his own zone with the puck. Would love to hear other people's opinions on him who have seen him more than I have

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I found that early in the season, and he also had a tendency to play too deep in the offensive zone and fall behind the play, but I feel like he's cleaned up both of these tendencies as the season's gone on and has had a very positive presence in every zone. Maybe it was just a rough game for him tonight.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Need to talk to anyone on here who has seen Chayka (JRC) more than I have. Tonight was my 3rd JRC game of the year but the 1st time that Chayka has played. I was really excited to finally see him after seeing so many people say he's a 1st round pick. Definitely has the size but he must've just carelessly turned it over at least 6 times including one at the end that lead directly to a Rory Kerins goal to put the Rebels back in the game. Did I just see his worst game ever or is he consistently pretty loose with the puck? He did have 1 rush on the PP at the end of the 2nd where he walked the D and fired a laser off the goalies shoulder, but man was he shaky in his own zone with the puck. Would love to hear other people's opinions on him who have seen him more than I have
I wouldn’t have him in 1st for that reason he gives picks up way too much or misses passes for turnovers...he’s a decent player but not a 1st rounder to me

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Whats interesting is that based on the current residential rules he doesn't meet the eligibility rules for the OHL draft - he didn't get approval by Hockey Canada until late in September to play in the GTHL
Don't you need to move in Ontario in your Major Bantam year to be eligible?
Will the rules be changed for eligibility?
They will need to make the change by March (OHL Cup)
If good enough OHL will find a way

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Whats interesting is that based on the current residential rules he doesn't meet the eligibility rules for the OHL draft - he didn't get approval by Hockey Canada until late in September to play in the GTHL
Don't you need to move in Ontario in your Major Bantam year to be eligible?
Will the rules be changed for eligibility?
They will need to make the change by March (OHL Cup)

He'll be let in. The fact that he's playing in the GTHL now all but ends that discussion, especially because he's good (similar to Leo Lazarev being let in after playing 1 year in Canada). A more interesting one will be Andrei Bakanov (Oakland Jr Grizzlies) who's a Russian that's playing in the USA but wants to declare for the OHL draft. They let him play in the Silver Stick for Oakland so I assume he'll be declared eligible too

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He'll be let in. The fact that he's playing in the GTHL now all but ends that discussion, especially because he's good (similar to Leo Lazarev being let in after playing 1 year in Canada). A more interesting one will be Andrei Bakanov (Oakland Jr Grizzlies) who's a Russian that's playing in the USA but wants to declare for the OHL draft. They let him play in the Silver Stick for Oakland so I assume he'll be declared eligible too
Bakanov played for Cleveland last year too so he's been playing in OHL territory for two seasons now so you're probably right.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Saw Bakanov last year and once this year. He's a good player with a lethal shot and size. Can be a little awkward when he's at high speed but he has some hands on him. Will be interesting to see where he goes and who takes him. This morning I saw the Cleveland Barons 02's play the Pittsburgh Pens Elite 02's. Pittsburgh won 5-3 in a game that was hard fought. Cle doesn't have the strongest team this year but from Pittsburgh I liked #91 Tessier - didn't do much on offense today but has put up some points for them. On D #55 Connor Hartman. Played a real responsible game and didn't make a bad breakout pass all game. #20 Caden Spehar was the best player on the ice. He made good reads and never looked pressured with the puck. He was also really physical and was in players face all game. No real studs on either team but just throwing these guys out there. Not sure they'll get drafted.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Also, what do some of you think of #14 Lemieux on D for York Simcoe? Never saw live, just some streams but he seems to walk the line well and gets pucks through with hard accurate shooting.

cheddar seeker

Sep 12, 2017
Not sure if he is a top 10 player, but was really impressed by Matt Barnes this past weekend in Peterborough.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
not sure if this is the right forum. My question, what are the top import prospects for the OHL 2018 draft? Is there a list out?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
With my HockeyTV subscription I was watching some games recently that they broadcasted from the whole Battle of the Border showcase. I know these games are from a few months ago but still fun to watch some of the players people are talking about. Few things I noticed was that Andrei Bakanov has really made strides since last year when I saw him. Big kid that gets through the neutral zone with a lot of speed and he has some hands to match. He had a really nice breakaway goal against York Simcoe. Whoever gets him has a player on their hands. Also on that same Oakland Jr. Grizzlies team there is an 02 D man named Mitchell Smith that was the best player to watch for them along with Bakanov. Throws head fakes to get around the opposition, pinches well. Also can be a 4th forward on the ice. Had a few down ice rushes where he cut through a few people. He was really fun to watch.

From the Missy Reps obviously Owen Power is a known commodity but a few others I liked were #13 Aiden Hughes. Gets in the dirty areas and is always around the play. He had a really nice backcheck to strip Mitchell Smith off the puck out of nowhere. #14 Matthew Papais had maybe the best vision on the ice. Really smooth with the puck and always found an open man. Jonah De Simone compliments them well too, all come over the line with speed and make quick accurate plays. That Reps team moves the puck very well with each other and was a hell of a game against the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies. I know it wasn't played tonight or this week but still love watching older games from this year and see what the up and coming talent for the OHL is about.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Shout out to Whitby AAA who've improved all year long, including a quarterfinal birth at the Marlies Christmas tournament. Three guys who should be drafted, in my opinion, and a bunch of other interesting guys. Placement in the ETA standings really doesn't reflect how good they are.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Moore and drysdale are a tough choice for me. I think the pick for me would come down to wether I need a right or a left shot. Lol. A Few players from that team are noticeable but I think one that is going to get overlooked is Wong because he is playing in the shadow of Moore and drysdale. He can hit, plays positioning well and can move the puck up making the smart play as opposed to aggressively like Moore or to a lesser extent drysdale.
I'm starting to like hunt from the red wings. Plays a fierce game.
Jr canadiens Tverberg is small but his hockey smarts are through the roof. He doesn't shy away. It I think his size will be preventing him from going anywhere. He seems tiny out there. But where have we heard that before. He reminds of Ethan Patel who I thought was the real deal with Barrie and then never made the team in his draft year and went to yse and didn't virtually nothing.

Last edited:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Curious if anyone has any info on this: Has #2, defenseman for the Toronto Red Wings, been injured this year? Had an impressive game today, and can't figure out why I hadn't noticed his play before.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Curious if anyone has any info on this: Has #2, defenseman for the Toronto Red Wings, been injured this year? Had an impressive game today, and can't figure out why I hadn't noticed his play before.
Ya. #2 is Hunt. Idk if he has been injured before hand but he looked good when I saw him his weekend. Def stood out

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Moore and drysdale are a tough choice for me. I think the pick for me would come down to wether I need a right or a left shot. Lol. A Few players from that team are noticeable but I think one that is going to get overlooked is Wong because he is playing in the shadow of Moore and drysdale. He can hit, plays positioning well and can move the puck up making the smart play as opposed to aggressively like Moore or to a lesser extent drysdale.
I'm starting to like hunt from the red wings. Plays a fierce game.
Jr canadiens Tverberg is small but his hockey smarts are through the roof. He doesn't shy away. It I think his size will be preventing him from going anywhere. He seems tiny out there. But where have we heard that before. He reminds of Ethan Patel who I thought was the real deal with Barrie and then never made the team in his draft year and went to yse and didn't virtually nothing.

To your point on Tverberg in a game against the Chicago Mission back at the Battle of the Border I noticed he can really burst down the wing to get past people. He did that on a play where the Mission D man stayed with him and kept him to the outside but he cut around the net and centered the puck for a goal.

horner

May 22, 2007
Being a London fan and having 3 picks within the first 24 selections.

Is this supposed to be a really good draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->