Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

giphy.gif

daveclapstol.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm all for Hextall keeping his plans close to the chest, but you also don't have to bend over backwards to stretch his words into something they are not either.

How is that bending over backwards?

It's a singular sentence that has been interpreted 2 different ways.

Way #1: Hextall is saying he doesn't want to give up long-term for good players, but will for great players (ala Tavares).
Way #2: HEXTALL ISN'T SPENDING MONEY ON ANYONE OTHER THAN DALE WEISE 2.0

Which one is more of a backflip, really?

Note: I only sort of exaggerated Way #2. I've already seen people post similar statements.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Way #1: Hextall is saying he doesn't want to give up long-term for good players, but will for great players (ala Tavares).

I'd say its the first one. You're implying that Tavares is in the "GREAT" category in Hextall's head. We do know that Tavares is a good (++) player and he said he's not interested in signing a good player to a 7 year deal. How many good players are there to "reach out" to for a 7 year deal?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Note: I only sort of exaggerated Way #2. I've already seen people post similar statements.

Way #1 and Way #2 are both exaggerations.

There's no need to look for hidden meaning in his words.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'd say its the first one. You're implying that Tavares is in the "GREAT" category in Hextall's head. We do know that Tavares is a good (++) player and he said he's not interested in signing a good player to a 7 year deal. How many good players are there to "reach out" to for a 7 year deal?

Isn't Tavares a Top 10 center? Maybe even Top 5?

I don't know on what planet Tavares isn't considered great at this moment, truthfully.

I think it's way more of a leap to assume that Hextall doesn't think he's great.

There's a ton of "good" players you can offer 7 year deals to. For me personally:

-I think John Carlson is "good" (very good is more accurate), but not elite or great.
-Mike Green
-James Neal
-JVR
-Stastny

These are the ones off the top of my head that I see as "good" and not worth a 7 year deal.

I can't see where Tavares isn't in the "great" category in Hexy's mind relative to other players in the NHL.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Way #1 and Way #2 are both exaggerations.

There's no need to look for hidden meaning in his words.

How is way #1 an exaggeration? It's an interpretation of words he literally said - nothing was exaggerated..

Again, this is the real key to finding out what Hextall meant:
1) What was the question he was answering
2) What was the rest of Hextall's quote?

Without that, it's all interpretation.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Also got the sense Hextall will not be sitting on his hands at the draft and could be aggressive. Scribes also seemed to think they like Dobson.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tavares & Carlson are really the only slam dunks to get 7 year deals. Nobody else is really good enough or young enough to command it.

Guys like Okposo & Kane might not have been as good as those guys but both were younger UFA’s as 27 year olds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Hextall thinks Tavares is a great player, he's not a top twenty scorer nor is he above average defensively, i.e. he's not Crosby or Kopitar.
When I think "Great" I think at least borderline HOF, Tavares ain't in that category.

I doubt Manning is returning, Ron already has seven defensemen (Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, MacDonald, Gudas, Hagg).
He'll also have Friedman marinating in Lehigh and Morin returning in the spring.
If he adds a defenseman, it'll be someone who'll play top four minutes and another defenseman will be dealt.
If he adds a scrub, it'll be someone he can stash in LHV and recall if needed.

Add a solid 3C and PK depth and I'm very happy. If you trade Simmonds you also need to add a RW, so I think they'll let him play out his deal.
I think the top six next year will match up to any team in the league, and Laughton - 3C - Simmonds gives you a solid 3rd line.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Isn't Tavares a Top 10 center? Maybe even Top 5?

I don't know on what planet Tavares isn't considered great at this moment, truthfully.

I think it's way more of a leap to assume that Hextall doesn't think he's great.

There's a ton of "good" players you can offer 7 year deals to. For me personally:

-I think John Carlson is "good" (very good is more accurate), but not elite or great.
-Mike Green
-James Neal
-JVR
-Stastny

These are the ones off the top of my head that I see as "good" and not worth a 7 year deal.

I can't see where Tavares isn't in the "great" category in Hexy's mind relative to other players in the NHL.

I think he's great which is why I put the (++) by good.

You took what I wrote the wrong way. I'm stating that no one knows (at least for this forum) if Hextall has multiple categories in his head, "Excellent", "Great", "Good", "Acceptable", "Bad", and etc..

Green, Neal, Stastny are on the wrong side of 30 to be getting 7 year deals. I really hope you're right though because I'd like to see a much better roster next year.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
For folks who aren't fans of Hextall, I'll share this because I also think this is funny (despite it poking fun of something I'm not sure is true):

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
@BrindamoursNose

If Hextall does nothing this offseason how does that sway your opinion? I'll clarify that a bit as well : I mean he doesn't do anything and just stand pat. Everything out there is a bit too expensive for his liking (but actually reasonable). (Cost to sign Tavares, Carlson, trade for E.K. etc.)

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
@BrindamoursNose

If Hextall does nothing this offseason how does that sway your opinion? I'll clarify that a bit as well : I mean he doesn't do anything and just stand pat. Everything out there is a bit too expensive for his liking (but actually reasonable). (Cost to sign Tavares, Carlson, trade for E.K. etc.)

It'll start to swing my pendulum in the other direction, while not being on the "Fire Hextall" train.

Considering the assets we have and cap space, I don't see any reason why Hextall won't be getting a significant contributor ala Bozak, Grabner, Stastny on shorter deals. According to tweets I'm seeing, Hextall did say he wants a top-end piece this offseason:

For example:

This is the first offseason I believe he's at a point where, strategically, he can add some real muscle to the lineup. If he doesn't add anything, then I will definitely question his acquisition ability.

I have faith in him and don't flip out because he won't assure myself as a fan that the team is going to go guns-blazing intro free agency and the draft. We've had a gunslinger as a GM way more often than not and it's almost always gotten us disappointing seasons...how about we let this guy see his long-term build plan pay off before we try to murder him?

So in sum: If he doesn't add something significant this offseason, I will begin to turn on him.

Reactions: Lindberg

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Oreilly and Dumba here we go. Always trade for pieces then add a small piece in FA. Dobson in the draft and were good to go LOL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
All of that sounds to me like Hextall and Fenton are going to have many conversations.

If he wants a somewhat vet 7D, I wonder if Oesterle is available. He’d have to be dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad