Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He would just have to make the team and start making a meaningful contribution.
For a guy who was drafted that high a few years ago he has shown little indication he will be even a solid player in this league.
Many many players have come up and put up way bigger 10 game sample sizes then Strome did at the end of the year getting the ice time he did and playing with a guy like Domi.
I need to see much more. I have no number in mind at all because he has done squat so far.
I still feel his slow foot speed and weakness on the puck are the two things that will hold him back from making that step up.
Strome put up 8 pts. in ten games. He helped save Domi's season with their chemistry. Who are the many many players with bigger 10 game samples or you talking about? Strome still has to move his feet more and not coast as much and I hope with more confidence we will see a much better Strome.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago apparently wants to make a huge splash. They’re talking to Carolina about Faulk. What about a deal where Chicago gets OEL at 50% (with a handshake extension) and we eat the Hossa contract, while Faulk and some other primo assets end up here? A three-way deal.

DeBrincat reunion with Strome? Maybe we end up with 8th overall?

To Chicago:
OEL(50% w/handshake)
5th overall

To Arizona:
DeBrincat
Faulk
8th overall
Hossa

To Carolina
Murphy
Crouse
27th overall

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Strome-DeBrincat
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Archibald-Kruger-Cousins
Ullstrom

Goligoski-Faulk
Chychrun-Hjammer
Connauton-Demers
Lyubushkin
You're giving up the two best assets in that deal + retention on OEL. No thanks.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Strome put up 8 pts. in ten games. He helped save Domi's season with their chemistry. Who are the many many players with bigger 10 game samples or you talking about? Strome still has to move his feet more and not coast as much and I hope with more confidence we will see a much better Strome.
The question for Strome isn't point production, he will get his points. It's the rest of his game without the puck. Did the rest of his game improve in the last 10 games? I am not sure without watching tape. In reading a stat line for minutes/games/points, Duclair looked good too, yet he has been benched by 4 coaches now. The verdict is still not out yet on Strome, I'm pulling for him. He should be a starter, at least a 2C for 50+ games this year. verdict will be in either way this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The question for Strome isn't point production, he will get his points. It's the rest of his game without the puck. Did the rest of his game improve in the last 10 games? I am not sure without watching tape. In reading a stat line for minutes/games/points, Duclair looked good too, yet he has been benched by 4 coaches now. The verdict is still not out yet on Strome, I'm pulling for him. He should be a starter, at least a 2C for 50+ games this year. verdict will be in either way this year.
Not all players are good offensively and defensively. Look at Keller for example. Strome broke up many plays with his back checking last year, but he must develop his game away from the puck. This is a huge year for Strome, no doubt, but he is still young and plays C so he still has time on his side.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
. verdict will be in either way this year.

I expect he'll be in the top half of NHL C's for offensive output this year. I have no idea how he'll stack up in defensive measures. It doesn't matter much to me because it's his rookie year and he'll have a long career to improve on that. I think we can spare the verdict for a bit longer.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Duclair has been benched so much because he doesn't listen and try. It would be different if he was simply getting beat defensively cuz of a lack of experience.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not all players are good offensively and defensively. Look at Keller for example. Strome broke up many plays with his back checking last year, but he must develop his game away from the puck. This is a huge year for Strome, no doubt, but he is still young and plays C so he still has time on his side.
Strome doesn't have to be good on D just not bad, passable. Keller is way ahead of Strome on D and the forecheck, it's not close, he isn't a liability. Agreed because he plays C might take some time, its just hard to learn on the job when he plays against stiff competition. Wingers can be hidden.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's also just his own speculation, but Friedman mentioned Hossa for Darling. Damn you, Carolina. Really hope we can get that extra first outta Chicago and flip it to fill a roster hole. Like sending it to Winnipeg with a minor add (Wood?) for RHD Tyler Myers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chicago was such a bad fit for Duke. No idea why the GM of a Q coached team would trade for him.

I admit I figured the talent around him would drive up his production, but Q is so similar to Tip in many ways that a talented team with a different coach would probably have made more sense. San Jose maybe.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chicago was such a bad fit for Duke. No idea why the GM of a Q coached team would trade for him.

I admit I figured the talent around him would drive up his production, but Q is so similar to Tip in many ways that a talented team with a different coach would probably have made more sense. San Jose maybe.
At some point you might have to just admit that the common denominator is actually the problem.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If the locker room leadership in Chicago couldn't bring out the best in Duclair I don't know where he would thrive in this league.

I was really hoping that he would turn it around with the Hawks.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wasn’t saying this is Chicago’s fault. I didn’t express myself clearly. I meant that if some team was interested in trying to fix him, it shouldn’t have been Chicago. That’s all. It cost them nothing anyway. Panik is as replaceable of “a guy” as you will find. Such a generic nhl player.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Going to be tough finding a good match for him. I can't imagine many top teams are interested in his seemingly uncoachable reputation and playing for any lesser teams will likely just fuel his own sense of entitlement.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Then Duke should have thrived. He thrived under Tip for 1 year, 20 goals. If Tip gets a new gig, Duke should sign there, his best chance of success in the NHL.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Then Duke should have thrived. He thrived under Tip for 1 year, 20 goals. If Tip gets a new gig, Duke should sign there, his best chance of success in the NHL.
Based on the recent NHL coaching hires (2 college coaches, an AC and a current coach changing team) and his coaching style it's very possible Tip has coached his last NHL game.

Duke might be looking at a 2 way deal, but have to believe some team gives him a shot. Good team with strong vet presence? Wash? Nash? Pit?

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It always has been, but fans like to pin the blame on the coach.
Yep, and Tip should get some credit for putting him in a position to score 20 goals that season:) Lets see another coach get 20 goals out of Duke (in the NHL)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad