Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Franchise conrnerstones are too good to trade. Other teams can’t put together offers good enough to convince to trade these players. You just can’t let them go and you do whatever it takes to sign them. OEL is a good example of a player like that. Max Domi is not a good example of such a player.

Mueller
Summers

Turris
Ross
MacLean
Gistedt

Boedker
Tikhonov
Staal

Ekman-Larsson
Brown

Gormley
Visentin
Lane
Lindberg

Murphy
Ruuttu
Lessio

Samuelsson
Martinook

Domi
Dauphin

Perlini
MacInnis
Dvorak

Strome
Merkley
Fischer

...damn.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That Ross/Gistedt combo is low-key really horrible :laugh:

Brett Mac was reasonably on target to be a contributor on some level at least until his heart issue.

That reminds me, we did some draft retrospective grades. Maybe we should do more though the pain may be too much :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd like to see how we'd have done just taking the CSB list instead of our scouts. Or just the CHL player with the most points that year available at our position.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd like to see how we'd have done just taking the CSB list instead of our scouts. Or just the CHL player with the most points that year available at our position.

I think we did that a year or so ago, dunno if we went back that far though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Caps have Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Burakovsky, Vrana and Samsonov on their Cup team all from that exact same range.
Damn. Look at the effing Thrashers/Jets in this time span. And Tampa. Look at effing Tampa:

Killorn, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Palat, Vasilevsky, and Point. Plus a whole grip of great prospects used in good trades.

Our draft picks are f***ing dust in the wind, man. Nothing good ever sticks here. It rarely grows here and even more rarely sticks around.

I’m VERY glad that John Chayka is starting to take the approach of re-signing players who meet/exceed expectations to new contracts. That he’s making the retention of our effective players his priority. It wasn’t long ago that our modus operondi was the opposite. Keep the crap players so there’s consistency and dump the decent players so we can get assets back because those decent players can’t be kept anyway.

It’s actually very easy to be a good nhl franchise. Draft well and keep the players that are working. Dump the ones that aren’t. Keep drafting well. That’s it. Look at what Chevy has done in Winnipeg. Dude has crushed the draft and held onto all of his performing assets with an iron grip. Won’t let go of anyone who makes the Jets better. Just be good at drafting and very, very stubborn and miserly when it comes to trading players that are helping your team. Don’t do it.

Reactions: Mosby and lanky

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Caps have Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Burakovsky, Vrana and Samsonov on their Cup team all from that exact same range.
They also have arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time which helps a tid bit. I get what you're saying though, they clearly have drafted well, the Coyotes clearly have not. It's hard not to imagine how different this franchise would be if Mueller didn't have his bell rung, Turris wasn't a spoiled baby and Wheeler wasn't a self-serving ingrate.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Reactions: lanky

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Damn. Look at the effing Thrashers/Jets in this time span. And Tampa. Look at effing Tampa:

Killorn, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Palat, Vasilevsky, and Point. Plus a whole grip of great prospects used in good trades.

Our draft picks are ****ing dust in the wind, man. Nothing good ever sticks here. It rarely grows here and even more rarely sticks around.

I’m VERY glad that John Chayka is starting to take the approach of re-signing players who meet/exceed expectations to new contracts. That he’s making the retention of our effective players his priority. It wasn’t long ago that our modus operondi was the opposite. Keep the crap players so there’s consistency and dump the decent players so we can get assets back because those decent players can’t be kept anyway.

It’s actually very easy to be a good nhl franchise. Draft well and keep the players that are working. Dump the ones that aren’t. Keep drafting well. That’s it. Look at what Chevy has done in Winnipeg. Dude has crushed the draft and held onto all of his performing assets with an iron grip. Won’t let go of anyone who makes the Jets better. Just be good at drafting and very, very stubborn and miserly when it comes to trading players that are helping your team. Don’t do it.
That is the way you build a good team. Not long ago, Winnipeg fans wanted Chevy fired because he never made deals to improve the team. He stayed the course, drafted well and let the kids develop and made trades at the exact right time. Chayka has said more than once that you make a plan and stay the course. So far he has. If the scouting can stay consistent, and we continue to draft well, we should have a team who could be in the playoffs for years to come. It's very hard to win in the NHL, so maybe with a little luck this team turns the corner and fans start to fill the stands.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That is the way you build a good team. Not long ago, Winnipeg fans wanted Chevy fired because he never made deals to improve the team. He stayed the course, drafted well and let the kids develop and made trades at the exact right time. Chayka has said more than once that you make a plan and stay the course. So far he has. If the scouting can stay consistent, and we continue to draft well, we should have a team who could be in the playoffs for years to come. It's very hard to win in the NHL, so maybe with a little luck this team turns the corner and fans start to fill the stands.
That's a lovely story Jakey but half of Winnieg's top playing players were not drafted by Winnipeg. Not changing course at every turn is legit though.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Forgot to add that Winnipeg didn't make trades for years because it was extremely difficult to trade for better quality when you were on pretty much every no trade list in the League. We are probably in the same boat for last 10 years.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
That's a lovely story Jakey but half of Winnieg's top playing players were not drafted by Winnipeg. Not changing course at every turn is legit though.
Sheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Little, Roslovic, Lowry, Copp, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck

I’m not sure about which half you’re referencing. Byfuglien, Wheeler, Myers?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Little, Roslovic, Lowry, Copp, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck

I’m not sure about which half you’re referencing. Byfuglien, Wheeler, Myers?
Buff, Wheeler, Myers, Kulikov, and Stastny are 5 of the top 8 skaters time on ice players for the Jets this past season.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Wheeler and Byfuglien (and Little) for sure but hardly "half". There is no denying the Jets have drafted and developed fantastically. They have hit on Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Ehlers, Connor, Hellebucyk (and Laine but that was #2 overall and a lucky lottery win) and it looks very promising for Roslovic, Vesalainen, Niku, Appleton, and Samberg.

So they have drafted a #1C, #3 C, 3x 30 goal wingers, a #1 and #2 D, a Vezina nominated goalie, the AHL rookie of the year and the AHL Defenseman of the year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wheeler and Byfuglien (and Little) for sure but hardly "half". There is no denying the Jets have drafted and developed fantastically. They have hit on Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Ehlers, Connor, Hellebucyk (and Laine but that was #2 overall and a lucky lottery win) and it looks very promising for Roslovic, Vesalainen, Niku, Appleton, and Samberg.

So they have drafted a #1C, #3 C, 3x 30 goal wingers, a #1 and #2 D, a Vezina nominated goalie, the AHL rookie of the year and the AHL Defenseman of the year.
No argument as I have never said otherwise. Although the 1D argument is yet to be determined as tgat is presently Buff with 3 extra minutes per night.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Coyotes draft picks that have over 50GP (aside from Strome and possibly Summers). This is the best I came up with. Had everything worked out I think it’d look something like this, or atleast close too.

Keller - Strome - Wheeler
Perlini - Turris - Domi
Boedker - Mueller - Fischer
Martinook - Dvorak - Winnik
Hanzal

OEL - Yandle
Chychrun - Murphy
Stone - Summers

Darling
Domingue

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Coyotes draft picks that have over 50GP (aside from Strome and possibly Summers). This is the best I came up with. Had everything worked out I think it’d look something like this, or atleast close too.

Keller - Strome - Wheeler
Perlini - Turris - Domi
Boedker - Mueller - Fischer
Martinook - Dvorak - Winnik
Hanzal

OEL - Yandle
Chychrun - Murphy
Stone - Summers

Darling
Domingue
I think we are better with present team.

Reactions: Mosby

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No argument as I have never said otherwise. Although the 1D argument is yet to be determined as tgat is presently Buff with 3 extra minutes per night.
Fair.

They drafted a #2 and #3 D at 9th overall and 13th overall.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fair.

They drafted a #2 and #3 D at 9th overall and 13th overall.
They have done very well, and they are a great team. But they really couldn't upgrade by trade for years and they are not completely homegrown, as I have shown. I suspect some of those no trades will no longer matter as winning changes things.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Agreed. Just shining light on the picks and what the team would have looked like had we kept home grown talent.
Be funny to see how that would have worked for every team? Sad to look at a few of my Leaf's years and think how much better it would have been to watch Rask, Seguin, and Hamilton rather than Kessel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad