GDT: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Hard to see Philly doing much of anything with Elliot in net. Shame, because they're playing Pitt better than I would have thought everywhere else. Pens will be hurting after this series at the very least.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I really think NHL's orthodoxy w/r/t what to do when a player breaks his stick is wrong. Go to the bench and get another stick - you're useless out there otherwise.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
No one here is doing that I've seen but overall I've never understood the rap Ovechkin gets for playoff performances. People lump him in as being a choker individually and he's almost a PPG player in his postseason career.

Leafs... :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
No one here is doing that I've seen but overall I've never understood the rap Ovechkin gets for playoff performances. People lump him in as being a choker individually and he's almost a PPG player in his postseason career.

You "people" (if I can even call you that) keep hating. My pick has been out of the park awesome. Last time Jokel tried "Ye Olde Bolts" and disappeared after when the best avatar in pretty much the history of ever was born to Hoek. I think @The Macho Man is trying too hard to reach on his smack talk

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Look at his performance pretty much up until the Habs series where Halak just stoned them, and then look at his performances after. He was great up until then, but since has been pretty damn mediocre. 40 points, 21 goals, and a -8 in 60 games (not counting this season).

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
That's still .67 PPG over that period. Not dominant but hardly choke-worthy. And +/- ....people still use this?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Ovechkin definitely gets a little too much heat for being a choker. I mean, 2 goals is nothing to scoff at.

That being said, last night was I was still a little underwhelmed. He literally leaves the ice when he feels like it. He was just bailing in the middle of plays almost. He'd wait near the blue line for a teammate to get the puck for him, try and skate through two defenders, let a wild shot rip from the circles, and then peel off for the bench while his linemates went to work in the corners. Every shift, it seemed like.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Ovechkin definitely gets a little too much heat for being a choker. I mean, 2 goals is nothing to scoff at.

That being said, last night was I was still a little underwhelmed. He literally leaves the ice when he feels like it. He was just bailing in the middle of plays almost. He'd wait near the blue line for a teammate to get the puck for him, try and skate through two defenders, let a wild shot rip from the circles, and then peel off for the bench while his linemates went to work in the corners. Every shift, it seemed like.

Those are definitely not good things.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Look at his performance pretty much up until the Habs series where Halak just stoned them, and then look at his performances after. He was great up until then, but since has been pretty damn mediocre. 40 points, 21 goals, and a -8 in 60 games (not counting this season).

Agreed, no one can fault him the first 4 playoff runs - guy was an animal including that series they lost to MTL. After that though he hasn't come close to controlling the game like he used to.

In the 7 years since then he's never had a series where he played to the level of his earlier years, although he probably physically can't, he adapted his game so that he could keep producing like he does now but he's never adapted it to be effective in the playoffs. He's essentially a pure sniper, Washington is leaning on him too much to be a play driver. Criticism is there for both him and management.

Stamkos is the same, luckily we have depth because you're not going to rely on a guy like that to carry you in the playoffs.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That's still .67 PPG over that period. Not dominant but hardly choke-worthy. And +/- ....people still use this?
.67 ppg puts him in the Alex Killorn tier of players. Do you think Alex Killorn and Ovechkin are fair comparables? That's choke-worthy when it applies to one of the best players of the generation.

+/- is not a qualitative assessment of his ability, but it does indicate that despite being on stacked teams against often substandard competition (at least in the first round), he hasn't exactly been tilting the ice.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
.67 ppg puts him in the Alex Killorn tier of players. Do you think Alex Killorn and Ovechkin are fair comparables? That's choke-worthy when it applies to one of the best players of the generation.

+/- is not a qualitative assessment of his ability, but it does indicate that despite being on stacked teams against often substandard competition (at least in the first round), he hasn't exactly been tilting the ice.

By that measure do you then consider Stamkos post-season choke-worthy?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
By that measure do you then consider Stamkos post-season choke-worthy?
He has been pretty bad in the playoffs, yes. He's been lucky enough to have a supporting cast that performs.

You clearly weren't around during 2015 playoffs. Stamkos got a ton of (deserved) criticism for his lack of production.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He has been pretty bad in the playoffs, yes. He's been lucky enough to have a supporting cast that performs.

You clearly weren't around during 2015 playoffs. Stamkos got a ton of (deserved) criticism for his lack of production.

I didnt't come around this board then so, no, I didn't see that. I would've assumed as much, however. Pretty level headed board here, it seems.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
It's civil war on the leafs board with full implosion - what a time to be alive.

Can't imagine what it'll look like if they go down 0-3.
It's a shame the Leafs' implosion has to come with so much chest-thumping from Boston fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad