2018 NHL Playoff Race Thread

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Doesn’t Lucic have 4 more season after this one on his deal? Good luck oilybois.

No.

56061L.jpg

FIVE!

tenor.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guys, you have to ask yourself something about Lucic, does he suck because he's declining, or because he's an Oiler. They definitely have a way of making good players look really bad

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Guys, you have to ask yourself something about Lucic, does he suck because he's declining, or because he's an Oiler. They definitely have a way of making good players look really bad

Mix of both. He would probably be a bit better on other teams, but his skating is so far behind now. And I don't think it's his conditioning. He was just never as strong a skater, so he can't use his size as effectively as he used to, the way the league is turning. And he simply doesn't think the game fast or well enough to make up for it.

If he was being coached more effectively I think he could be more useful. Basically he needs to park himself in front of the net, do screens and try to chip in garbage goals off rebounds, because his strength would make him harder to move from the front. That way he may still be able to be a 20 goal guy.

But he just isn't that good at this point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mix of both. He would probably be a bit better on other teams, but his skating is so far behind now. And I don't think it's his conditioning. He was just never as strong a skater, so he can't use his size as effectively as he used to, the way the league is turning. And he simply doesn't think the game fast or well enough to make up for it.

If he was being coached more effectively I think he could be more useful. Basically he needs to park himself in front of the net, do screens and try to chip in garbage goals off rebounds, because his strength would make him harder to move from the front. That way he may still be able to be a 20 goal guy.

But he just isn't that good at this point.
Except his skating isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I remember once instance in particular last night where he went through the neutral zone and almost beat one of our defenders to the puck. I don't watch the Oilers too often and I remember thinking how quick he looked on that play. Is he fast? No. But I don't think he's as slow as people make him out to be. I'd argue it's his first couple steps that are a bigger problem than his skating as a whole. Also playing with McDavid would make anyone look slower than they are

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lucic has his retirement contract and the Oilers blow this season. Kind of a no brainer why his give-a-shit meter is at 0. The only memorable thing he did last night was that drive-by hit on Johnny, a guy he has like 9 inches on

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Except his skating isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I remember once instance in particular last night where he went through the neutral zone and almost beat one of our defenders to the puck. I don't watch the Oilers too often and I remember thinking how quick he looked on that play. Is he fast? No. But I don't think he's as slow as people make him out to be. I'd argue it's his first couple steps that are a bigger problem than his skating as a whole. Also playing with McDavid would make anyone look slower than they are
It's not as bad as some say, but it's also not really good either, except for those rare fleeting moments.

He just also isn't used well by coaches like I said. Overall, Bruins and Kings are just far more his style.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's not as bad as some say, but it's also not really good either, except for those rare fleeting moments.

He just also isn't used well by coaches like I said. Overall, Bruins and Kings are just far more his style.
I've said it since before he was hired, McLellan is a bad coach. The guy underachieved badly with a great Sharks team. I wouldn't say certain teams are a better fit for him, because it's all about his linemates, not the team overall. If the Oilers put Lucic on a line with Maroon and a defensively sound center that isn't a speedster (Drai, maybe?), he'd probably do quite well. I have also noticed that the Oilers don't really deploy him in a way where he gets under the opponents skin much either, somehow they think Kassian is better suited for that job.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why all this Oilers discussion

Flames need a 10 game winning streak....Let's go

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
The ol flames23 special for Jpucks . Mah man. Nice thinking on the fly there. Attempted pass comes back to him and he changes gameplan, ends w a snipeshow. Genius.

Haha. Typo'd genius

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Calgary needs 16 points in these last 10 games to get 96 points. Colorado/Anaheim/Dallas would need to go .500 to get 96 points.

Unless Calgary gets a miracle 7-8 game winning streak, I'd say it's over.

Fortunately, it's not all bad. Flames have a young core than will continue to get better. Hopefully a new coach and an upgrade on the top 9 too. Damn shame that pick wasn't protected, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference for at least a few years.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The sad part is the Kings and the Ducks are so bad and we still cant make it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We probably can close this thread now but let me see if I get the Flames season right:

1)In pre-season, we were told we are idiots for being concerned, scoring is not a problem, GG was just using it to tune the Special teams and find the proper line combo

2) Mid season, we were told to shut up, it's just bad luck, all luck will eventually even out.

3)Now we are told GG is fine, the system is working, we are outshooting teams, it's the players that do not execute it properly. But it's not BT's fault neither since he is the Flames best GM in a long time

Everything is fine people. We are in good shape for 2018-2019

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Why close it? 9 f***ing games left.... 9....

Tonight is looking ok so far Anaheim needs to lose. We win tomorrow and wild beat the Kings.

Our best chance is to kick the Kings out of 3rd in division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad