2018 NHL Playoff Race Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll try and update daily, but until things get closer I won't guarantee it. When I update, inwill also remove the days of the sled that have passed. As it gets closer I may show the schedule by division or even by team

Reactions: Janks

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’ve said this almost every year since we made the playoffs under Hartley, but the Flames cannot worry about who they are tight up against in the standings or what other teams could or might make playoff runs.

All that really matters is this, they are where they are today. They essentially need 97 points to guarantee a playoff spot and then how many points they need to accumulate in their remaining games. All that other outside noise will take care of itself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
LA is really struggling right now, and we've actually passed them tonight to sit 2nd in the Pacific!

However, San Jose and LA both have enough games in hand on us to bump us right back into the wild card race and out of the playoffs during our break. San Jose and LA actually play tomorrow night, too, so one of them is going to pick up two points for sure.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
LA is really struggling right now, and we've actually passed them tonight to sit 2nd in the Pacific!

However, San Jose and LA both have enough games in hand on us to bump us right back into the wild card race and out of the playoffs during our break. San Jose and LA actually play tomorrow night, too, so one of them is going to pick up two points for sure.
Just hope it doesn't go to OT.

Aug 3, 2010
Sharks beat Kings in regulation. Aside from the bye week, now is the time for Calgary to solidify their position in the West.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just hope it doesn't go to OT.
It didn't, thankfully. San Jose beat LA to keep the Kings going the wrong direction. Now both the Flames and the Kings are 9 games above .500, and they are down to one game in hand on us.

The Sharks are able to pass us during our bye week, though, so that's less fun.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It didn't, thankfully. San Jose beat LA to keep the Kings going the wrong direction. Now both the Flames and the Kings are 9 games above .500, and they are down to one game in hand on us.

The Sharks are able to pass us during our bye week, though, so that's less fun.

Good news: They play again tomorrow meaning they’re on a back to back

Bad news: Its against Arizona

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The scariest Pacific division team other than Vegas is Anaheim to me. The fact that they were able to stay relatively afloat with a paper thin offense speaks to how good they are.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Anyone else worried about our schedule right after the break? There’s some hard games in a short amount of time

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Anyone else worried about our schedule right after the break? There’s some hard games in a short amount of time
There's always going to be hard games. The schedule we just finished with before the break was more challenging, in my opinion. Two division leaders coming up, yes, but also two teams below .500. And the Winnipeg game will be a bit of a wild card because of the layoff. Also, neither Vegas nor Winnipeg is firing on all cylinders right now.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
The race is going to get wild in the West as the season winds down. My bet is Colorado makes it and Kings dont. Also, not terribly confident in the Flames. After a 7 game winning streak we should be in a way better position. Hope my fears are proven wrong.

Would be interesting to face Vegas in the first round. I have a feeling that team wont last long in the post. Once they make it to the playoffs, expectations will be raised and that team will fall apart.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
18-12-1 to get to 97 points heading into a very hard road trip.
Hope they keep playing like the best road team in the league and can string together 3 in a row maybe?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
18-12-1 to get to 97 points heading into a very hard road trip.
Hope they keep playing like the best road team in the league and can string together 3 in a row maybe?

They'll be fine if their goals for starts making sense with the number of chances they're getting. It doesn't usually on home ice, but it does usually on the road. The Flames are playing at their best right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the bump, hadn't updated the OP in a little while. Have done it now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When the Sharks lose in regulation because the Avs won in regulation:

TfU7eAi.gif

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When the Sharks lose in regulation because the Avs won in regulation:

TfU7eAi.gif
I'm more focused on the Pacific, I think we have a real shot at 2nd and who knows if Vegas does ever falter, maybe 1st. 12 points in 29 games isn't as intimidating when there is only 1 team between you and them.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'm more focused on the Pacific, I think we have a real shot at 2nd and who knows if Vegas does ever falter, maybe 1st. 12 points in 29 games isn't as intimidating when there is only 1 team between you and them.
We also have 3 more games remaining against Vegas, which if you're to win all 3 in regulation that gap would be 6 points in 26 games but of course it's easier said then done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We also have 3 more games remaining against Vegas, which if you're to win all 3 in regulation that gap would be 6 points in 26 games but of course it's easier said then done.
Most definitely. I wouldn't bet on us winning the division, but I wouldn't call it completely out of reach either.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad