2018 NHL Maple Leafs Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't mind giving up assets for Glendening because he has term, it's the rental buys that I don't like. The thing with next year is we lose 2/3rds of our 3rd line and 2/3rds of our 4th line so addressing some of that isn't the worst idea.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
What if we parlay those assets+ into a McDonagh/Tanev/OEL? Maybe not by the deadline, but in the summer.

Or would you prefer we trade our 1st + Liljegren/Kapanen and lose JVR for nothing?

i would prefer we trade JVR, Bozak and Komarov but then again I'm not considering anything other than asset value. I'm sure management is looking at many other factors.

Reactions: hullsy47

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Letestu infinitely better offensively? Or Plekanec?

Plek and Letestu are both much better than Moore or Glendening if you want offense. Both of them would benefit from being removed from clubs in free fall. Its a 10 minute TOI 4th line opportunity so only a minor upside with any change there whoever it is. I am good with rolling with Moore except Matthews injury and now Aaltonens means they could possibley use a guy who could move into the top 9 if necessary.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Plek and Letestu are both much better than Moore or Glendening if you want offense. Both of them would benefit from being removed from clubs in free fall. Its a 10 minute TOI 4th line opportunity so only a minor upside with any change there whoever it is. I am good with rolling with Moore except Matthews injury and now Aaltonens means they could possibley use a guy who could move into the top 9 if necessary.
I’d ok with Pleks in that circumstance but only on the cheap because he can move up the lineup

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
I don't know why... but I have a weird feeling the Leafs management is going all in for Karlsson.

Last edited:

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I don't mind giving up assets for Glendening because he has term, it's the rental buys that I don't like. The thing with next year is we lose 2/3rds of our 3rd line and 2/3rds of our 4th line so addressing some of that isn't the worst idea.

Send Martin the other way and I'm cool with it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only Leafs trade buzz is Friedman saying again Leafs are involved in Plekanec talks along with Winnipeg and Tampa Bay.

It kinda seems like everything’s gone quiet from the Leafs POV.

Which is usually when Lou strikes

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Only Leafs trade buzz is Friedman saying again Leafs are involved in Plekanec talks along with Winnipeg and Tampa Bay.

It kinda seems like everything’s gone quiet from the Leafs POV.

Which is usually when Lou strikes

Seems like the media just cannot get some real info on the Leafs .. I feel like they're just making the logic assumptions (the want a better #4C; Leivo/Martin could be expendable given their usage; need defensive help) and linking whatever names that are available to them.

Pleks would be a solid add for the fourth line though. However I haven't minded Moore's game lately.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The more I watch this team the more I think we should be very prudent at the deadline. Add a centre (Glendenning, etc) if we can get one for a decent price (wing depth or second round picks), but keep our first and just keep building.

Adding a "big" piece isn't going to put us over the top unless it's a legit star defenseman or centre. Tanev is good but doesn't really push us up a tier into the elite and is injury prone.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The more I watch this team the more I think we should be very prudent at the deadline. Add a centre (Glendenning, etc) if we can get one for a decent price (wing depth or second round picks), but keep our first and just keep building.

Adding a "big" piece isn't going to put us over the top unless it's a legit star defenseman or centre. Tanev is good but doesn't really push us up a tier into the elite and is injury prone.

Yep, pretty much.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If we do go after Plekanec, hoping we can send Moore,Martin, Leo back the other way with picks to even it out (assuming Montreal has contract slots). If they don't retain salary on Pleks they can retain half on Leo and flip him as well.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JvR-Bozak-Brown
Leivo-Plekanec-Kapanen
Smith/Johnsson/Rychel/Aaltonen/Goat/Greening

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Would St Louis even consider trading Berglund if we involved JVR in a deal?
4 more years at approx. 3.9 mil? I don't know if the Blues would do it, but I'd be on board with that type of swap, hell I'd even include a small add if it got an asset back opposed to losing JVR for nothing. Berglund would help in a playoff race too.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I would be so disappointed if Leafs let all 3 UFA's to walk without getting assets back. JVR has the most value, so I would definitely still trade him. Also, why can't they be smart enough to do both? Trade JVR and maybe Bozak for the best return, and use assets to acquire players that are under contract past this season.

I have/had high expectation of this management, elite managements have great asset management. If they allow the hype to get them and keep all 3 and even waste assets on depth, I guess their not as good as I originally wanted or expected them to be.

Reactions: Faltorvo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews Nylander Kadri is legit contender C depth. Screw Bozak put him on the 4th line.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Matthews Nylander Kadri is legit contender C depth. Screw Bozak put him on the 4th line.

Or trade him and get a legit defensive center to put there rather than an inconsistent offensive center who will be even more inconsistent on the 4th line.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I would be so disappointed if Leafs let all 3 UFA's to walk without getting assets back. JVR has the most value, so I would definitely still trade him. Also, why can't they be smart enough to do both? Trade JVR and maybe Bozak for the best return, and use assets to acquire players that are under contract past this season.

I have/had high expectation of this management, elite managements have great asset management. If they allow the hype to get them and keep all 3 and even waste assets on depth, I guess their not as good as I originally wanted or expected them to be.

Awesome...

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

Nylander did indeed look good.

But there is the logical side of me that believes this team deserves the best shot to take a cup run right now with what has got us this far already and I hope they keep Bozak on the 3rd line for depth and flexibility reasons and keep Nylander on the wing for now.

Then the selfishness in me wants to deal JVR, Bozak and Komorov, gut the marlies playoff hopes and run with these transactions

- JVR for 2nd + 3rd + Fabbro
- Bozak for a 2nd + 3rd
- Komorov for a 2nd + prospect

- Acquire Glendening for a 3rd and lower tier prospect
- Call up Aaltonen and Johansson

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
A. Johansson - Aaltonen - Brown
Leivo - Moore - Glendening
Martin

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak / Carrick

Then next year you would have an NHL Ready Fabbro+Grundstrom to slide into the line up, as well as any additional depth free agents.

I dont like playing fantasy GM but thats what I personally do, as I believe that team can compete if healthy.

If injuries occur it gets dicey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad