2018 NHL GM Rankings #9

Pick 9th best (8th really)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm gonna start voting towards people who have actually had success now. Not rewarding gms who havent built a team to even win a 3rd playoff game in a year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
is it supposed to be a point against Dubas that he got Tavares to play in Toronto for less money?

Signing Tavares is a huge move, but it's not a top 10 GM move when the guy wanted to play there, especially if that's your only move. I mean, Brian Burke must be one of the greatest GM's in the history of the NHL then. I mean, he got Scott Niedermeyer to sign with Anaheim and not be the highest paid D in the league. It's not like he wanted to play with his brother or anything. He got Teemu Selanne to sign for 1 mil. It's not like Teemu wanted to go back to the team he saw as home and had the most success with.

I have a tough time judging FA moves when there's a clear motive behind it. Tavares wanted to come to his boyhood team. He left money on the table to do it. I judge my GM's on how they draft, trade and sign. So far Dubas has done 2 of those things, 1 of which we won't know the outcome for 3-4 years.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah, Dubas is too high.

He overpaid for Tavares, when they needed D help not another scorer. Then he’s completely botching their relationship with Nylander.

He’d be around 17-22, IMO.

Reactions: Haatley

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I mean, between McPhee and Dubas I know I'd prefer the latter going forward.

If this is for career accomplishments, Bowman and Holland should have easily been top 5. If it's for who you want as your GM, Dubas is a fine choice.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I didn’t get Dubas getting all the Toronto votes, didn’t they like what Lou did for them? Plus he handed Tavares to them too. Why is he a bad Gm now? Hmmmm

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I mean, between McPhee and Dubas I know I'd prefer the latter going forward.

If this is for career accomplishments, Bowman and Holland should have easily been top 5. If it's for who you want as your GM, Dubas is a fine choice.

Mcphee wqs responsible for like 85% of the players in the Stanley Cup. I think he is a pretty solid GM. Probably #1 right now. Definitely done far more than Dubas.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Wow...a bunch of people butt hurt about Kyle Dubas being ranked where he is and using this thread to complain about it.

I am shocked.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Wow...a bunch of people butt hurt about Kyle Dubas being ranked where he is and using this thread to complain about it.

I am shocked.

A new gm being top 10 with only 4 months of his tenure his awful no matter what team it is Chayka had the same blowback cut the victim complex

Last edited:

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
This should be Hextall. CBJ has a bottom 5 prospect pool and Jarmo's about to lose their best scorer in Panarin.

They have a bottom 5 prospect pool because the have the youngest team in the league. They have also made the playoffs for two straight years as the youngest team in the league. So he gets penalized for having good young players that made the roster?

Jarmo has done something no one on these boards think was possible, make Columbus a contender. He has made some of the best trades over the last few seasons and is in a tough spot now, but not due to his own making. The tough spot is because he isn't in a market like Toronto, NY or Chicago. These markets are a lot easier for a GM to work in as they have free agents begging to sign them. If you really think Dubas had anything to do with Tavares signing in Toronto you are delusional.

Hextall has Philly on an upswing, but he works for a franchise with pedigree and already had a strong roster. Jarmo took over a franchise which never tasted success and a roster filled with overpaid, lazy veterans and a culture primed for failure.

Keep voting for the revolving door GMs in these big markets with big free agent signings and ignore a GM building a winner with the youngest roster in the league.

Reactions: Kuola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->