2018 NHL GM Rankings #9

Pick 9th best (8th really)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't really get how Dubas is so high. All he's done so far is sign Tavares (who wanted to come) and not sign Nylander.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People saying it's too soon to put Dubas this high? He's done more in months than most of these gms in years.
Until last season I remember some Jets fans were complaining about the lack of moves Cheveldayoff had previously done. So just because they make the Western Conference Final last season automatically means he's the 3rd best GM according to HFBoards and Dubas shouldn't belong on here.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't really get how Dubas is so high. All he's done so far is sign Tavares (who wanted to come) and not sign Nylander.
Because they have a large fan base on this site that for whatever reason gotta let the rest of us know loudly that their guy is the best ever

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Until last season I remember some Jets fans were complaining about the lack of moves Cheveldayoff had previously done. So just because they make the Western Conference Final last season automatically means he's the 3rd best GM according to HFBoards and Dubas shouldn't belong on here.
I think it's because of his great drafting and deservedly so. Maybe not 3rd, but he should be high.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares also said he was impressed by Dubas presentation when they meet with him. Also can we please stop with the Tavares only wanted to play in Toronto and Dubas deserves no credit. If that was true why did he also meet with the Sharks, Lightning, Bruins, Stars and Islanders?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Tavares also said he was impressed by Dubas presentation when they meet with him. Also can we please stop with the Tavares only wanted to play in Toronto and Dubas deserves no credit. If that was true why did he also meet with the Sharks, Lightning, Bruins, Stars and Islanders?
Because hes not a complete idiot and did some basic looking around that anyone with half a brain would have done?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
JT credits Dubas as recent as the other day saying he played a huge part. Just cause JT wanted to come doesnt mean it was a done deal. Dubas also got rid of the Matt Martin contract and for nothing too. Was smart enough to not resign any of bozak,komarov,jvr, polak to any ridiculous contracts or contracts period. So all in all not to bad.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
JT credits Dubas as recent as the other day saying he played a huge part. Just cause JT wanted to come doesnt mean it was a done deal. Dubas also got rid of the Matt Martin contract and for nothing too. Was smart enough to not resign any of bozak,komarov,jvr, polak to any ridiculous contracts or contracts period. So all in all not to bad.
Here is a link to what Dubas said during Tavares press conference on July 1 and explained the whole process to sign him. Notice he says Tavares made his decision "Late last night" so it was either before 12:00 AM when it was still June 30 or just after when it became July 1, so it's another example how it was not a 100% sure thing that Tavares would be a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Kyle Dubas explains timeline of Tavares signing - Sportsnet.ca

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I agree that it's not too bad. One might even say good. That doesn't mean he's already the 8th best GM in the league.
Also, obviously Dubas contributed to the Tavares signing but Tavares' fondness for the Leafs definitely helped a lot.
I'm not saying Dubas is a bad GM, but I don't think he has a large enough body of work to be ranked this high.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree that it's not too bad. One might even say good. That doesn't mean he's already the 8th best GM in the league.
Also, obviously Dubas contributed to the Tavares signing but Tavares' fondness for the Leafs definitely helped a lot.
I'm not saying Dubas is a bad GM, but I don't think he has a large enough body of work to be ranked this high.
When Lou Lamoriello was the Leafs GM and they meet with Steven Stamkos who just like Tavares was also a Leafs fan growing up, it was reported that when Lamoriello brought in Toronto's Mayor John Tory and the President of Canadian Tire, it made Stamkos feel very nervous and uncomfortable. I also know that at time the Leafs were not the contending team they are today however, when someone brings up Tavares love for them growing up that didn't matter for Stamkos. Still you don't think it was coincidence that on the same day when it was reported Stamkos meet with the Leafs that he re-signed right away with the Lightning.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Fair enough. I think if it's a ranking of 2018(last year) then sure it doesn't make much sense but if it's an outlook to the future as well I think him being 8th is fine. Not sure what 2018's best gm means when some of these people haven't had the job long not to mention 2018 could be two different seasons.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

To be fair on the day he started he had a clean slate and thus a rating of 0. Considering a lot of gms are weighed for positives and negatives - that already likely put him near middle. Signing Tavares is a huge plus.

For example Julien Brisebois - first day on job - and id still have him in upper half.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
To be fair on the day he started he had a clean slate and thus a rating of 0. Considering a lot of gms are weighed for positives and negatives - that already likely put him near middle. Signing Tavares is a huge plus.

For example Julien Brisebois - first day on job - and id still have him in upper half.
Exactly this.
I'd vote Brisebois top 10-15 for sure. Even though he has less experience than everyone else.
Just because he's new, doesn't mean he's not a great GM.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

HEY!
It's not like Tavares left money on the table because he wanted to play somewhere right? Wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->