2018 NHL GM Rankings #3

3rd?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bear Dad

Aug 27, 2018
Boston
Chevaldayoff or Rutherford. I like what Chevy has done in Winnipeg quite a bit even if they don't have any hardware yet.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Dubas hasn't really done anything to prove he's 3 yet.

Iirc he was also in charge of the Kessel trade where we got bent over. However, during this tenure, so far so good

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I voted Chevy.

Might do Sakic next. I'm not sure if I'm serious, but he pulled off some of the grandest larceny I've ever seen with the Duchene deal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Mcphee

He built the team that won the Cup and he built the team that in their first year made the Cup final.

He will always have the Forsberg trade that will likely have him lower than he deserves but unlike a guy like Chevy he actually built a team that has accomplished something.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chevy or Dubas

edit: Didn't realize Armstrong was still on the board, would have voted him.
Chevy gets my vote.
IMO, Dubas needs a season at least under his belt before he gets any consideration for a top 10 spot.
Don't get Yzerman as #1 either.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Iirc he was also in charge of the Kessel trade where we got bent over. However, during this tenure, so far so good

Not entirely true. The Kessel deal was Shanahan’s trade mostly, though he likely had input from the likes of Dubas, Hunter, and the rest of the brass.

Brendan Shanahan Addresses the Media on Phil Kessel Trade | Maple Leafs Hotstove

It’s clear from the remarks below that Brendan Shanahan was the one heading up the trade negotiations with Jim Rutherford that ultimately led to today’s Phil Kessel trade.

Trading Phil Kessel paying dividends for Leafs in Frederik Andersen, Kasperi Kapanen

(I know I know, it’s Simmons)

Brendan Shanahan negotiated the Kessel acquisition with Jimmy Rutherford in June of 2015, and it was the first major trade he had ever completed. Lou Lamoriello had not yet been hired. Shanahan didn’t do the deal alone. He gathered his advisers, his scouts, both NHL and otherwise. He needed information and opinion. It was, I am told, a group effort putting the trade together, not very long after Dave Nonis had been fired as general manager of the Leafs.

Regardless, I wouldn’t vote for Dubas now as his reign as GM has been relatively short. Landing Tavares was a coup but I don’t think it’s enough to get him into the top 3. At best I think he should be ranked at 10th

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

he was part of it, but I don't think he was okay on the return. I think he was after Dumoulin and Murray, and was insistent on no retention

anyway he has no business being discussed in this thread. he's not top 3 yet

Reactions: libertarian

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Embarrassing
1st off I am not saying he belongs in the top 3, I am saying you need to do some research on him and you should expect him to be in that top 5 soon enough. There is a reason they call him the wonder kid. Look into how he turned the grey hounds around, look at how he built the Marlies and expect that same excellence for the Leafs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If you're a Leaf fan, signing Tavares was a big coup (at least short term). Getting rid of Martin' s 2.5m cap hit was a big win.
Not a real fan of the Leafs draft, but we'll know if five years. Don't know how Dubas can rated so high till we see what the contract of RFA Nylander is.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Chevy gets my vote.
IMO, Dubas needs a season at least under his belt before he gets any consideration for a top 10 spot.
Don't get Yzerman as #1 either.

I don't get all this love for Yzerman. His team has missed the playoffs in 3 of 7 years. Reached the finals once, and has just five playoff round wins. All this with two # 1 overall picks....Hedman and Stamkos.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Chevaldayoff sat on his hands for years in Winnipeg. Yes, he has drafted some big stars recently. But who would you have drafted #2 with the pick that got Laine? Probably Laine, right?

He's only made like 3 notable trades in 7 years. Bogo/Kane for Myers+ which turned out pretty meh for both sides. Selling Ladd, which any GM would have done with a big-name pending UFA. And getting Stastny at the recent deadline. Not much action.

His biggest credit is handing out very reasonable contracts to keep his good players. And that counts for a lot. But I don't think that alone is enough to be top 3.

Reactions: BHD

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Chevaldayoff sat on his hands for years in Winnipeg. Yes, he has drafted some big stars recently. But who would you have drafted #2 with the pick that got Laine? Probably Laine, right?

He's only made like 3 notable trades in 7 years. Bogo/Kane for Myers+ which turned out pretty meh for both sides. Selling Ladd, which any GM would have done with a big-name pending UFA. And getting Stastny at the recent deadline. Not much action.

His biggest credit is handing out very reasonable contracts to keep his good players. And that counts for a lot. But I don't think that alone is enough to be top 3.

I think the fact that he's been patient, and willing to allow the process to move ahead as planned, while building his core (and signing them to reasonable deals) is a reason why I have him ranked highly.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think the fact that he's been patient, and willing to allow the process to move ahead as planned, while building his core (and signing them to reasonable deals) is a reason why I have him ranked highly.

I suppose patience is a virtue you want in a GM. But not every GM has the autonomy to be that patient. Imagine if Jim Benning had done nothing for 4 years after he was hired. He would have been fired after 1. But Chevy was on the job 4 years before pulling the trigger on a real trade with Kane/Myers.

And Cheveldayoff's patience looked a whole lot like cowardice earlier in his tenure. There used to be jokes about him never making a trade. And when he did, he spent mid picks for marginal-to-worthless players:

4th and 7th for Alex Ponikarovski
3rd and 5th for Mike Frolik
2nd for Devin Setoguchi
3rd and 6th for Jiri Tlusty

That's a decent amount of draft picks for a bunch of nobodies.

I'm not saying he isn't good at his job. And you made a good point, since so may GMs need to be more patient, he should get credit for that. But the only reason his patient 'build from the draft' approach worked is because he built a loser early on, and was allowed to stay on the job to reap the benefits.

Most GM's don't get to miss the playoffs 5 times, get swept once, and then get credit for their excellent drafting and patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad