GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
At least Douglas has shown to be able to put up points with his size. Not quite Chris Martenet levels of awfulness.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
C8mn6J5XYAEzlS0.jpg:large

Reactions: Kcb12345

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nill talking they went BPA this draft because they've built up their depth...:rolleyes:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hey Dallas fans, Kitchener Rangers season ticket holder here. You guys got a good one in Mascherin and also be excited about Damiani. He played big minutes against the best players in O last playoffs as the Rangers shutdown C and this coming year he will only get better as he gets the offensive opportunities that come from being moved to the first line.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He is, but I think Gaglardi thinks it wouldn't hurt if he played another year in Kamloops. I think personally it would benefit him greatly.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Same thing others have said, but after the initial shock of the first round, I have to say I really like this draft. Wish we would target more potential elite talent, but I think Dellandrea is a safe bet to be an NHLer. Eriksson is extremely intriguing with his size/skill combo. Not super high on Back but I he has a solid shot at becoming a bottom six guy in the NHL. Mascherin is my favorite pick of the draft and I couldn’t be more excited about his potential. Douglas is just ridiculous at almost 6’9”. He’s going to be interesting to follow due to that alone. Damiani is a great heart and soul, character guy and should get a bigger role in Kitchener next year. Barteaux showed a ton of progress this past season and hopefully will continue that. As for Jermaine Loewen, don’t know if there’s a kid I’m rooting for more to make it after hearing his story. Overall, I’m down with it. Would’ve preferred trading down for Dellandrea or just taking Veleno or Farabee, but I think this has potential to be one of the better drafts in the Nill era (though that isn’t saying much I guess).

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm actually pretty pleased with the draft overall after initially being super dissapointed in the Dellandrea pick (over Veleno, but seeing him drop so much makes me feel a bit better). Seems like most of the players picked (hard to tell for some of the later picks) have good to great advanced stats. Mascherin and Loewen will probably play in Texas next year. Obviously based on the draft rankings there was some reaches, but we'll see how it works out

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I'm actually pretty pleased with the draft overall after initially being super dissapointed in the Dellandrea pick (over Veleno, but seeing him drop so much makes me feel a bit better). Seems like most of the players picked (hard to tell for some of the later picks) have good to great advanced stats. Mascherin and Loewen will probably play in Texas next year. Obviously based on the draft rankings there was some reaches, but we'll see how it works out

Again don't be so sure on Loewen. Gaglardi also owns the Blazers, and he has big hopes for them this coming season.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
You guys really lucked in to a good one in Damiani. He will be an absolute steal for you! Top 6 upside and very capable bottom 6 player. Fantastic pick!

Reactions: Kcb12345

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Feels like most of the picks were based on good character/people, solid analytics, and then higher floors instead of super high ceilings (althought theres definitely some potential). It seems like a strategy where they needed some "safer" picks to actually result in NHL/AHL players, they need some wins out of the draft. Realistically if you can get 2 or 3 players in a Draft to play NHL games and have careers thats pretty dang good.

I do think a lot of people are writting off Albin Eriksson, hopefully the Swedish scout found another gem.

I'm really shocked Kyle Topping wasn't picked from Kelowna by anyone: CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #50 Kyle Topping

Edit: Nill/McDonnell also seem to love players who have played in men's leagues instead of juniors

Last edited:

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Riley Damiani made my list here- Potential Steals From the 2018 NHL Draft (OHL Drafted Players)

Also congrats on getting Adam Mascherin.
The guy posses the best shot in the draft IMO. Maybe the best shot (One of for sure) in most recent draft. Can shoot from anywhere on the ice and make a goalie look foolish.

He's high risk IMO. Could score you a ton of goals. Fairly lazy on the back check. Plays decent in 2 of the 3 zones. Doesn't move that great for a smaller guy but I think he's going to be a Dallas Star sometime during the 2018-2019 season. He will produce in the A and earn a call up.

Really liked the draft you guys had! Good luck moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad