Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Full disclosure - I'm bored.

Flames 2018 Draft Status (AFAIK)
1st round pick - to Isles, for Hamonic
2nd round pick - to Isles, for Hamonic
3rd round pick - retained (possibly to Coyotes, for Smith, otherwise is the 2019 pick)
4th round pick - retained
4th round pick - from Florida, for Hudler
5th round pick - to Coyotes, for Stone (condition met as he re-signed)
6th round pick - retained
7th round pick - retained

So the Flames will have two picks in the fourth round, a sixth round pick, and a seventh round pick.

I started adding some draft resources (I'll add others here if worthwhile) but realizing that we don't have a pick in the top 90, that's kind of pointless.

Here's a couple that have larger lists:
Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
Craig’s List: Dahlin cemented top status at World Juniors - Article - TSN

Any late gems to be found? Seems like the 4th round is where the Flames seem to have decent success, so they have that going for them, which is kind of nice.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If Curtis Douglas is around at a Flames pick I think he will be selected. 6'8" with good skills, I don't know why he's not ranked higher.

Otherwise I don't see too many late round targets yet.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Here's to hoping we continue to strike gold with our fourths.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Full disclosure - I'm bored.

Flames 2018 Draft Status (AFAIK)
1st round pick - to Isles, for Hamonic
2nd round pick - to Isles, for Hamonic
3rd round pick - to Coyotes, for Smith
4th round pick - retained
4th round pick - from Florida, for Hudler
5th round pick - to Coyotes, for Stone (condition met as he re-signed)
6th round pick - retained
7th round pick - retained

So the Flames will have two picks in the fourth round, a sixth round pick, and a seventh round pick.

I started adding some draft resources (I'll add others here if worthwhile) but realizing that we don't have a pick in the top 90, that's kind of pointless.

Here's a couple that have larger lists:
Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
Craig’s List: Dahlin cemented top status at World Juniors - Article - TSN

Any late gems to be found? Seems like the 4th round is where the Flames seem to have decent success, so they have that going for them, which is kind of nice.
the Smith pick is 2019, it was originally reported wrong

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The way I understand it is that because we didn’t make the playoffs we now give the NYI our 19 second to finish that trade. And we give the Coyotes our 19 third to finish that trade.

So we should have our picks in 2020 :laugh:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Some interesting potentially late-round Swedes:

Jonatan Berggren
Marcus Westfalt

These two will almost for sure be gone before the 4th but if they’re there it would be criminal to overlook them, especially Berggren.

Carl Wassenius
Axel Andersson

Reactions: Dack

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Now some Finns

Toni Utunen
Jesse Ylonen
Niklas Nordgren
Roni Salmenkangas (goalie)

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

In this article Pike says he's confirmed with a Flames source that it is going to be the 2018 3rd rounder going to Arizona for Mike Smith instead of the 2019 3rd rounder.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

In this article Pike says he's confirmed with a Flames source that it is going to be the 2018 3rd rounder going to Arizona for Mike Smith instead of the 2019 3rd rounder.

Wow. So the upside is we're no longer giving away any 2020 picks. The downside is this year we have two 4ths, a 6th and a 7th as a non playoff team. I think they'll do something to try and get some picks back.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Wow. So the upside is we're no longer giving away any 2020 picks. The downside is this year we have two 4ths, a 6th and a 7th as a non playoff team. I think they'll do something to try and get some picks back.
Yeah, so based off my understanding, we have 4 picks this year (2 4ths, 6th, 7th), 7 picks next year (1st, 3rd, 2 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th) and then 7 picks in 2020 as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At the end of the day, 2018 draft picks weren't going to make a difference for next year anyway. And next year is, again, a year where we're supposed to be winning. The drafts that should be helping towards that goal are the ones in years past where we had numerous picks. Lacking a few picks this year would be a relatively small problem against a much bigger one if we can't get any kind of push from beneath from those drafts that happened during our rebuild.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah I could see Stone being dealt for something like a 3rd and a 4th. Maybe to someone like Dallas or the Isles

Having a 3rd and 3 4ths wouldn't be that bad

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At the end of the day, 2018 draft picks weren't going to make a difference for next year anyway. And next year is, again, a year where we're supposed to be winning. The drafts that should be helping towards that goal are the ones in years past where we had numerous picks. Lacking a few picks this year would be a relatively small problem against a much bigger one if we can't get any kind of push from beneath from those drafts that happened during our rebuild.

Pretty sure missing the whole top of the draft will hurt at some point but then again the Flames have missed the whole draft picking before so in a way you are right, it doesnt matter lol

I like your consistent optimism and defense of the team management though :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Mucker

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I have a feeling Stone will be dealt for some picks and I think we’ll try to sign a couple FA’s.

I wouldnt be too obsessed with getting the picks. It's not like they can turn the picks into gold. We should trade a dman or two for immediate help up front

The focus is how to prevent the team from being the bottom feeder next year. Without some good changes, indication is it's good thing we still have the lottery pick in 2019

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretty sure missing the whole top of the draft will hurt at some point but then again the Flames have missed the whole draft picking before so in a way you are right, it doesnt matter lol

I like your consistent optimism and defense of the team management though :thumbu:

I do attempt to be optimistic with respect to the team I cheer for, yes. Without that, all you are left with is the sad reality that in a 32-team league, each team will average a Stanley Cup less than once every three decades, and given the way reality is, each team experiences some variance on that, which means it is not unlikely for any team to go 50 years without ever winning without even doing anything wrong.

But I don't cheer for the Flames out of compulsion. It's for entertainment and fun. And I've found it is much more fun if you actually maintain optimism.

As for the current team management, I'm pretty meh on them. They've made plenty of bad moves. I don't think the Hamonic deal is one of them.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Interesting late round WHLers

Trey Fix-Wolansky
Cole Fonstad
Vladislav Yeryomenko
Riley Sutter

Not much to get excited about in the last round for the WHL imo

Fonstad and Sutter will probably be gone before the Flames pick but if they’re available they could be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad