GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft | TRADE: [EDM/MTL] Hayden Hawkey acquired in exchange for EDM 5th '19

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ferland is like Kassian except Ferland is a better offensive player.

In terms of the trade....it looks like a good hockey trade IMO. Both teams did just fine and the Flames saved some salary and have a potential top pairing dman in Hanifin and a potential quality (and young) 2nd line centre in Lindholm.
Apparently Fox wasnt going to sign in Calgary.

Carolina takes on more salary...gets a top pairing dman in Hamilton and a potentially solid top 6 forward in Ferland (although Ferland is due for a contract after next season) and a good prospect in Fox.
Lets wait until Lindholm and Hanifin have contracts before we say that. Lindholm wasn't willing to accept a deal around 4M AAV in Carolina and was rumoured to be asking for more than 5M AAV. Hanifin could point pretty easily to comparables that would have him in the 4.5-5M AAV range.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Sooooo, what's Chia got brewing? What's he got cooking that will fix this hockey team?
He is hamstrung by some bad contracts he handed out, so not much of anything unless he is able to somehow pawn Lucic to another team (will have to eat significant salary and likely part with other assets to get another manager to bite). I dislike the idea of trading Klefbom / Nurse to change up the mix on the back end, but maybe he does something there.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
All this tells me the organization has no faith in Talbot.

Why do you say that? Because we trade for some college goalie and drafted a goalie who is years from making the NHL? Talbot contract ends after next season and he's in his 30s. Should we not have a plan beyond next season?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do you say that? Because we trade for some college goalie and drafted a goalie who is years from making the NHL? Talbot contract ends after next season and he's in his 30s. Should we not have a plan beyond next season?
Was going to respond to @Cloned response, but it's not there anymore.

Although it's been more or less refuted, I'm not convinced they wouldn't move on from him this summer if they can get good value and address an organizational need. If the confidence isn't there where Cam's going to come in and replicate his 2016/17 campaign, it's kind of a waste just seeing whether or not he's going to earn another contract with us at 32.

There are younger mid-20s goaltenders available in FA who are in the same predicament where they were trending as starting goalies with their previous organizations and have fallen out of favor at their cap hits. So guys like Petr Mrazek (26) and Robin Lehner (27) are there for the taking this summer. If the team is convinced that they can find better value in a younger goalie beyond next season, I don't see it being far-fetched.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I can't even wrap my head around the disappearing and reappearing posts. I'm getting multiple alerts for posts from hours ago. And when I reply to some, the site doesn't think the posts are even there. I don't envy the person or persons tasked with fixing those issues.

You mean soli?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Talbot is turning 31 this year. No **** they're trying to address goaltending in 4-5 years has nothing to do with current Talbot.

Talbot turning 31 and not coming off a good season IS current Talbot. Saying it has nothing to do with current Talbot despite your first sentence is like saying "I'm turning 31 this year and starting to really invest in my RRSPs but it has nothing to do with my current situation." It has everything to do with it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Talbot turning 31 and not coming off a good season IS current Talbot. Saying it has nothing to do with current Talbot despite your first sentence is like saying "I'm turning 31 this year and starting to really invest in my RRSPs but it has nothing to do with my current situation." It has everything to do with it.
Washington used a 1st round pick on Ilya Samsonov when they had Holtby in his prime. You have to take care of your future in net no matter how good or bad it is currently. Goaltending right now vs. goaltending years down the road are completely unrelated.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My guess is he wants to be back here and the org wants him back.

I would suspect he signs here July 1 for a decent rate and perhaps we’re able to move Lucic before the season starts.

Maroon’s a good player and a good soldier, id happily take him back for ~3 million
If we bring Maroon back, I would hope Lucic is moved out. The team needs to get faster overall

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The acquisition of goaltenders isn't any kind of indictment on Talbot whatsoever. Nick Ellis retired, they're moving on from Brossoit and Montoya is in the system for another year. No matter what your NHL situation is, you always need a steady stream of goaltenders at all levels in your system which is why the rule is draft a goalie every draft, but rarely-if-ever in the first round.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@FlameChampion

Which is true, but didn't stop people from questioning his ability to win the big game before this year.

Didn't help that in those series losses he got outdueled by the opposing goaltender each time.

Not saying Washington was justified in their thinking, but it might have been their thinking nonetheless.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@Joey Moss

Who was rumoured though?

Can't really use that as an indicator about what the Oilers were or were not interested in. All we have to go on are the moves they did actually make.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
tumblr_o9hmy1yN4A1uorz8zo1_500.gif

This is Soli from the future....

You have to get rid of BBO...

He’s the key, he’s always been the key...

The Oilers future Stanley Cups depend on it!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
@Cloned

Parayko? Krug?

There hasn't been a peep from media on the Oilers looking at goaltending. They think Talbot will get back to form next season, which he will.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@Joey Moss

I meant in relation to which teams were rumoured to be in on Grubauer. We have no idea if the Oilers were involved. Might just be that Washington kept a tight lid of those trade talks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Washington used a 1st round pick on Ilya Samsonov when they had Holtby in his prime. You have to take care of your future in net no matter how good or bad it is currently. Goaltending right now vs. goaltending years down the road are completely unrelated.
yeah I looked at it more like an organizational strategy. Having depth in any position is great, but I could see the argument that having great goalies in your system pays off the most.

True, you only play one of them at a time, but because of that, it is also the factor that will rip the consistency out of your team the most. Teams often live or die depending on how their goalie is doing, and as we've seen this year even the cup winning team NEEDED goalie depth to win it all, because their elite goalie was going through a bad phase.

That's also why I wouldn't write off Talbot. Holtby had a rough regular season, but got back, and goalies such as Lundqvist go through it too. We just didn't have a back up who could cover Talbot this season, and who knows, maybe if we had a Grubauer in our back pocket we could have squeaked into the playoffs this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's in town to just pack up his apartment and took a whirl around the city/went to the mall one last time.

We have pretty much only 3.4 million in cap space total once you factor in Nurse @4, Strome @3, Bear as a 7th D, and a 13th forward (Pakarinen?) at 0.8 etc.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

I would suspect he signs here July 1 for a decent rate and perhaps we’re able to move Lucic before the season starts.

Maroon’s a good player and a good soldier, id happily take him back for ~3 million
I'd give him term over big money and front load the contract. 5 years at 2.5. He'll probably be asking for 3 years at 4.5 but I'd rather go cheaper longer term and frontload so we could move him if we have to in years 4 or 5.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because they obviously don’t view Talbot as a long term solution and they’re basically making sure they have Plans B-Z in place just in case.

I dont that that has anything to do with how they feel about Talbot.
I think its just about having organizational depth.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Two huge UFA goaltenders next July 1st in bob and Holtby. Why not ride Talbot one more season and see what the markets like if he fails.

Reactions: 780il

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Without getting too much of a look at any of these players we picked up the last two days I approve of most of the picks and the trade. The only one I am doubtful about is MCleod in the 2nd and the scouting reports of him not competing hard all the time. I instantly thought of the Strome brothers and low and behold in his scouting report it says he and is brother are closer than close with the Stromes. Talented players with size that simply do not bring it often enough.
I'm not sure what them knowing the Stromes would have to do with their compete levels. Are they conspiring to be passive hockey players?

Ryan McLeod's numbers were much stronger earlier in the year while Michael was still with the Devils. When he returned, Ryan was playing most of his time on the second line. I think next season--possibly on a different roster as I think it's a given the Steelheads will be rebuilding--you'll see his numbers peak.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty good haul by Carolina, Hamilton is an elite dman. Calgary loses the trade, not barely but not by a landslide either. They’re gambling on Hanifin becoming as good as Hamilton and Fox being anything but a top 4 D. Granted, Flames do get more value out of this than Oilers have in all their major trades under Chiarelli combined.

D-corps of Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR is nasty and makes me think Faulk is on the way out for more forward help.
I think its a pretty fair trade. Hanifin and Hamilton are different players but tend to balance out value wise. Think it depends on whether Lindholm takes another step forward vs what Fox turns into. Treliving said Fox wouldn’t sign so I sort of get it from Calgarys perspective. Think Lindholm being able to play center and wing has some value.

Think Hamilton is the best player in the trade and the team who gets the best player tend to win the trade. I have gut feeling Calgary will be better off with the trade, though I am not sure why exactly.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we didn't have Lucic I'd sign Maroon to a 4x4 deal. He's proven he can play with and protect Mcdavid plus he's shown in Jersey that he's still effective without Mcdavid.

OilNation

Aug 26, 2014
Chances Maroon ends up with the copper and blue again?

The only reason I bring it up is I follow him on Instagram, a few days ago he had a video of him packing his apartment (not sure where?) Today I seen him like the official Edmonton Oilers post of us acquiring Hawkey and on his story shows him at West Edmonton Mall playing mini golf.

Good chance its nothing but curious.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
@clonned

As @SK13 mentioned all team need to draft goalies in the system .all goalies take time to develop.Every team draft goalies

It is not a big deal.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd move Sekera and bring back Davidson. Sign Green to one year

Nurse-Larsson
Klef-Benning
Davidson-Bouchard
Russell

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I can't even wrap my head around the disappearing and reappearing posts. I'm getting multiple alerts for posts from hours ago. And when I reply to some, the site doesn't think the posts are even there. I don't envy the person or persons tasked with fixing those issues.

Soli spilled his chai latte on the server.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Hi folks, not sure if allowed in this thread but chances are I'll get signed out before this post sends anyways. Just realized that neither player from my avatar has played for this team in over a year, yikes.

What the lineup looks like today:

RNH-MCD-Rattie
Lucic-Drai-JP
Aberg-Strome-Kassian
Warm body-Khaira-Caggs

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Bouchard/Benning/Bear

Looks like if Lucic wants out he's going to have to play for it.
Do we have another 16/17 or 17/18 with this?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

He won’t sign for 3 million though. He’s got one shot at a payday and needs to take it.

Reactions: Beerfish

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Pretty good haul by Carolina, Hamilton is an elite dman. Calgary loses the trade, not barely but not by a landslide either. They’re gambling on Hanifin becoming as good as Hamilton and Fox being anything but a top 4 D. Granted, Flames do get more value out of this than Oilers have in all their major trades under Chiarelli combined.

D-corps of Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR is nasty and makes me think Faulk is on the way out for more forward help.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Adding multiple goalies in one draft is a little different though.

They added an 8 year old and a near 24 year old. The guys are in different places in their careers.

My assumption is:

Talbot-Koskinen NHL

Montoya moved in a warm body/throw in deal, maybe to Carolina in a Lucic deal with Darling coming back and subsequently bought out. Montoya is an ok-ish backup and the Canes aren’t bringing Ward back.

Starrett-Skinner AHL

Wells ECHL starter

Hawkey one more college year

Rodrigue in junior

Really it’s not that huge a glut of goalies.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

I think he knows this is his last contract in the NHL. I see him trying to maximize his AAV here.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Maroon did jack **** when Kesler and Getzlaf were cross checking McDavids kidneys into hamburger in the playoffs. Sorry, Maroon can stay in Jersey and “protect” Hall.

It was criminal what the refs did to us during that series. Our physical players were penalized any time they did anything while the Ducks were getting away with everything. If there was ever an obvious example of rigged reffing it was that series.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oilers have been scouting the colleges heavily , they obvious see something special in him to give away a 5th .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

imo, the only way Maroon comes back is if we make a trade that opens up the cash for it. That could happen too, like if we traded for that RHD for instance, especially if we trade RNH

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Without getting too much of a look at any of these players we picked up the last two days I approve of most of the picks and the trade. The only one I am doubtful about is MCleod in the 2nd and the scouting reports of him not competing hard all the time. I instantly thought of the Strome brothers and low and behold in his scouting report it says he and is brother are closer than close with the Stromes. Talented players with size that simply do not bring it often enough.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

The only reason I bring it up is I follow him on Instagram, a few days ago he had a video of him packing his apartment (not sure where?) Today I seen him like the official Edmonton Oilers post of us acquiring Hawkey and on his story shows him at West Edmonton Mall playing mini golf.

I love maroon. Wish he was on the team instead of Lucic. That being said I don’t think I would give him more than $3 mil x 2 years. This team Just cant afford bad contracts at this point. I don’t think you can bet on Maroon being effective for more than 2 years. I hope Maroon gets a good contract for him and his family somewhere.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So apparently something with the thing that synchronizes the five servers has f***ed up, so every time you load a page, you're getting a random version of HFboards.

Pray the hosting company can soon find a technician who is better at their job than Brad Treliving is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

There's an argument to be made that Washington had their belief in Holtby shaken after multiple playoff exits.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good lord the disappearing posts thing is something else. That's not even a broken server, that's somebody f***ing with us.

Reactions: 780il

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we didn't have Lucic I'd sign Maroon to a 4x4 deal. He's proven he can play with and protect Mcdavid plus he's shown in Jersey that he's still effective without Mcdavid.

Maroon did jack shit when Kesler and Getzlaf were cross checking McDavids kidneys into hamburger in the playoffs. Sorry, Maroon can stay in Jersey and “protect” Hall.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I significantly prefer Lucic putting up 50+ points with his better overall game in comparison to Maroon.

However Maroon last year was obviouslying significantly better than Looch...

You don't need or want both of these players imo. It worked very well one year but with how the game is changing it's just not worth it to have two slower bigger guys.

I'd rather Lucic return to form but if he is asking out trade him somewhere but as hard as it will be make sure you do not retain or bring back salary. Adding in a minor pick should easily make this possible.

Sign Maroon for 4 x 4. Min I think he would get on the open market and clear up 2 mill in cap space.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I've got my fingers crossed for Maroon coming back. He'd give us a big top 6 presence even if we move Lucic.

Plus he's a very likeable guy

Reactions: jeg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad