GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft | TRADE: [EDM/MTL] Hayden Hawkey acquired in exchange for EDM 5th '19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The Pacific division dodged a bullet today with fox being traded. I would easily trade any oiler defence prospect for him. I would put his value between Yamamoto and jp (probably closer to jp)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think at this point they will have to be patient. Spending massive resources now for more D is irresponsible. They have to develop their D in house.
I disagree. Imo, patience is mostly called for if you are tempted to fix your core by trading. We really only need a role player. A 2nd pairing type of guy would be fine, and getting that one player would fix a lot of issues at once. Fix issues and the team wins more, and a winning environment is the best way to develop a player. That's how I don't think it really is a choice between short term gains and proper development. Sometimes they are the same.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think at this point they will have to be patient. Spending massive resources now for more D is irresponsible. They have to develop their D in house.
I disagree. Imo, patience is mostly called for if you are tempted to fix your core by trading. We really only need a role player. A 2nd pairing type of guy would be fine, and getting that one player would fix a lot of issues at once. Fix issues and the team wins more, and a winning environment is the best way to develop a player. That's how I don't think it really is a choice between short term gains and proper development. Sometimes they are the same.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think it's that bad. Hanifin is a very solid young D and Lindholm fits right in as a C with some burgeoning offense. They're also both familiar with Peters their new coach so the transition will be easier. They gave up Fox who looked like a good prospect, but also received a 2C who can slot right in.
I wonder what it is about Hamilton that keeps on getting him traded.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think it's that bad. Hanifin is a very solid young D and Lindholm fits right in as a C with some burgeoning offense. They're also both familiar with Peters their new coach so the transition will be easier. They gave up Fox who looked like a good prospect, but also received a 2C who can slot right in.
Interesting word choice for a guy who has barely improved his offence at all over the past 4 years despite plenty of offensive opportunities.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This past season Hawkey was named to the NCAA Hockey East Second All-Star Team and was also an NCAA New England D1 All-Star.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Interesting word choice for a guy who has barely improved his offence at all over the past 4 years despite plenty of offensive opportunities.
Perhaps burgeoning is the wrong term, but he has provided enough consistent offense, and Peters has enough flexibility in their lineup to play him with some other skill in the top 6. They added a C without giving up much in Ferland. I think it's a decent trade for them.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Mike Green would cost a lot in free agency. I would rather focus on dumping 1 of Lucic/Russell contracts, making some cheap smart signings to fill some holes, and see how we do next season.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Chiarelli, in his opening address last night, should have stated "We would like to thank the Dallas Stars for their generous hospitality. We would also like to thank the GMs of Montreal, Phoenix, the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks for the picks they just made.

I'm still giddy Bouchard wound up in the Oilers laps and was free to acquire.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Like who is even available realistically without giving up a RNH or Klefbom and who even fits into our very limited cap space?

This franchise has spent a fortune on Adam Larsson, blew a 1st round pick on Reinhart, spent two top 10 picks on Bouchard and Nurse, and another 1st rounder on Klefbom and spent almost $10 million in cap room for Sekera and Russell.

I'm sorry, but at some point enough is enough. Time to develop this group as is.

It's not the Oilers problem if there isn't a d-man coming to save Chiarelli's immediate job.
well, signing Green for instance, which could work on the assumption that we trade out Sekera or Russell next offseason when their NTCs loosen up.

Or sure, we could trade for Faulk. I don't know what the return would be, and maybe they'd ask for Klefbom, but maybe we could get away with trading less than that.

And still, maybe trading for Karlsson is still on the table but we'd wait until July so we could have an extension agreement in place. And sure that would strip a lot of assets probably, but like I said, what better place to develop in than a winning environment? It's not just selling the future for the present. It can be for the present and the future at once.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
At this point, I think the smart course of action is to take the draft as a win, unload Looch’s contract if possible (likely after July 1), and try to sign/aquire a couple a couple cheap vet wingers, depending on what we take back on Looch.

Unless a no brainer trade presents itself of course.

Next year might be a write off as far as contending (with McDavid who knows) but we might have another window the following season.
JP, KY and EB get another development year, then maybe we can unload Sekera and/or Russell.
We can add next offseason.

No stupid trades or UFAs this year!!!

I hate that we’re in this position but we are.
Do we seriously have to write off next season already lol

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Hamilton is one of the best dmen in the league. I like Hanifin but at his absolute peak he still won't be as good. It also leaves Brodie as their #1 RHD and he's hot garbage.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Someone at HF technical support should replace the hamster running the servers' wheel right about now... every damn year and they seemingly never learn. :thumbd:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Would a Sekera for Faulk deal make sense? Balances the lefty/righty pairings. Money is pretty similar. Carolina now can spare a RD, and use a LD.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Easy. To fit Green we have to move top 4 D anyhow. I bet that will be Russell or Sekera.

Except "moving out" one of those guys isn't like taking back a hard drive to Best Buy for a return.

Both have NMCs and both will likely require a d coming back.

We don't even know if Mike Green wants to sign here, his wife is American and may well prefer to stay in the US.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
what is Carolina doing?
Hamilton has been traded now twice in four years, and no one seems t care...dude is definatley not missed by his teammates when he gets punted.
pretty sure he's back in the market in 2 years time when Carolina are looking to move him.
Calgary is the easy winner here. Hanifin is better.
If you think Hanifin is better than Hamilton, I question if you have actually watched either of them the past 2-3 years.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Ferland is still an effective 3rd line guy who can be a complimentary piece in the top 6 when needed. Lindholm is a 2nd line player who likely will never be anything more than that. They definitely upgrade there, but they downgrade heavily on D. I like Hanifin, but imo he will never been a #1D and will never provide the offence that Hamilton can. I think any offence they gain at forward they lose on D, and they also leave themselves with their 2 best right handed D as Hamonic and Stone, both guys who have absolutely no offence to their game and both incapable of playing the PP.

I don't expect Hanifin's offence numbers to increase much. He played almost 2 mins of PP time per game in Carolina, and likely won't be getting that in Calgary behind Giordano and Brodie. I just think swapping him for Hamilton not only hurts their transition game, but it also hurts their PP which wasn't good to begin with.
Fair enough, Hamilton is a great PP producer and that equalizes the gain up front with Lindholm. They likely felt the pressure to do something with their lost season and the failure to recoup a 1st, and maybe felt they can squeeze the most out of those guys in particular given the new coach and his familiarity with them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair enough, Hamilton is a great PP producer and that equalizes the gain up front with Lindholm. They likely felt the pressure to do something with their lost season and the failure to recoup a 1st, and maybe felt they can squeeze the most out of those guys in particular given the new coach and his familiarity with them.
Yeah I just don't get it personally. Not only did they give up the best player in the deal, but they likely take on more cap hit once they sign Hanifin and Lindholm to new deals as well. They must really believe in those two players potential (I don't), to give up the best player, another useful roster player, and a very good prospect. Even if Fox wasn't going to sign there he still holds the value of a 2nd rounder imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad