GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft | TRADE: [EDM/MTL] Hayden Hawkey acquired in exchange for EDM 5th '19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Goalies are as iffy of a position as you can get so going after lots of prospects is a good thing. For every 5 prospects you have you are lucky if you get one legit tender out of it. Maybe these guys are learning as they put almost all of their eggs in the broissoit basket and it cost us.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
LOL alright, I'll give you that. It's just during the WHOLE time we played against Ferland, he wasn't a factor in ANYTHING Calgary did against us. Kassian, Maroon and Lucic basically took it to him and he couldn't do squat against us.
Ferland could hold his weight against anyone on our team not named Lucic, that includes Maroon

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
LOL alright, I'll give you that. It's just during the WHOLE time we played against Ferland, he wasn't a factor in ANYTHING Calgary did against us. Kassian, Maroon and Lucic basically took it to him and he couldn't do squat against us.

Lots of guys disappeared after we got Lucic.

Backes when in St.Louis always used to bully the top line.

The year the Oilers got Lucic, most of that disappeared.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Ferland could hold his weight against anyone on our team not named Lucic, that includes Maroon

Never said he couldn't hold his own. But he NEVER impacted the play on the ice like our 3 big guys could. But I'm loving how Calgary fans were praising Ferland as a Top RW Power forward and how he is the next Lucic, are now calling him a 3rd liner at best. Same goes with Hamilton, praising him to be the #1 Dman with huge upside is now a soft-as-butter #3 at best with little to no upside.

giphy.gif

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
TBH I like what Chia is doing with goaltenders. I know people think it is a crapshoot but eventually we have to land our own Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist, Rask, Holtby by drafting and trading for these younger goalies.
Our history of trading for older Goaltenders have been pretty abyssmal and I am an advocate for this organization to try to start some type of development for quality goaltenders. So you have to start somewhere.

It would be amazing, and I know everyone would be ecstatic if it happens, to unearth an elite Number 1 goaltender from our prospects. It is one of the things I have been waiting for a long time to experience and I hope we get one soon.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
All I hope is that having Bouchard fall to us doesn’t change the urgency that the organization should have for getting an actual NHL defender who can contribute offensively. Both on the PP and in terms of passing and transitioning at 5v5.

Thing is how are we going to get without overpaying ,getting Bouchard was the only we can get that type of player.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Been a while since I've posted, needed a little break.

Overall, I have liked what we have done with this draft. Bouchard could be an absolute game breaker. I'm not sure he has what it takes yet in our own zone, but his ability in the offensive zone is absolutely irreplaceable. As far as I'm concerned, we can find some gritty dmen who can defend our own zone, but to have that offensive ability like he does is something you can't just pick up at free agency. Love it.

Mcleod is a bit of a gamble, but a smart one. Says Smyth is his favorite player, which seems a little ironic given the scout reports say he is all skill and no heart, quite the opposite to Captain Canada.

Also love the few goalies we have picked up. As far as I am concerned you can never have too many of them as prospects, as they are the farthest thing from predictable. Hopefully we can find our diamond in the rough.

This draft has instilled some hope in my heart! Hope you all have been well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Always a good laugh when people claim Lindholm wasn't given a chance to succeed offensively in Carolina, and that "hard shutdown minutes" limited his offence.

Most common line mates at 5 on 5:
2017-18: Skinner, Aho, Staal, McGinn
2016-17: Staal, Rask, Aho, Skinner
2015-16: E.Staal, Rask, Versteeg, J.Staal

PP TOI/Game:
2017-18: 2:36
2016-17: 2:12
2015-16: 2:36

5v5 O-Zone Starts:
2017-18: 56.93%
2016-17: 50.23%
2015-16: 54.15%

He's a second liner offensively, and I don't see that changing even if Gaudreau pumps his numbers up a bit.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So, Travis Hamonic will be a 1st pairing RHD next year? I like the sound of that.
Probably they switch Brodie back to the right side. It’s where he has played his best hockey.

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-hamonic

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So, Travis Hamonic will be a 1st pairing RHD next year? I like the sound of that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pardon me for being less than excited about the Hawkey acquisition. Nick Ellis, who was not really much of a prospect, retires, so then we trade a fifth rounder for his successor at Providence College. Did we lose a bet or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad