2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Lol who would you have taken Gruden over? Gruden is nothing special. He forechecks hard and smart. Ohhhh.

Is he better than Wahlstrom? Nope.
Sandin? Nope.
McLaughlin? Absolutely not.
Hillis? Nope. Hillis has more skill in his playmaking than Gruden does in his entire body.
Morozov? Nope. Great two way center. Does great things all over the ice and has skills.
Iskhakov? That's a gamble because of size but as far as pure talent goes. Gruden couldn't even lick his skate socks.

Better than McLaughlin, absolutely. I'd only pick Wahlstrom and Sandin over him. Rest of your other picks are Russians you've never seen play lmao, sorry but no one cares about eliteprospects stats watching.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Better than McLaughlin, absolutely. I'd only pick Wahlstrom and Sandin over him. Rest of your other picks are Russians you've never seen play lmao, sorry but no one cares about eliteprospects stats watching.

Yeah, it's impossible to watch the Hlinka or the Five Nations.. the WJAC challenge. I closed my eyes every time I saw them. MHL games aren't available on YouTube.

You can take Gruden and you can take Kral and the Samuelssons. You will have an elite team of guys who can't get anything done without the help of players who actually have skill.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Didnt you watch the russians this morning? The russians are actually easier to watch than NCAA/ USHL players.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, it's impossible to watch the Hlinka or the Five Nations.. the WJAC challenge. I closed my eyes every time I saw them.

You can take Gruden and you can take Kral and the Samuelssons. You will have an elite team of guys who can't get anything done without the help of players who actually have skill.
Ah Kral was the other one yes... lol...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
From my I've seen so far if he can improve his skating he'll be a steal.
Like McCarron... yeah, no. Both are toolsy, both are too slow both in the head and on the ice.

Mccarron flashed some nice skills too in his draft year, heavy shot, soft hands when he had times, knack for the net when he had time or he could bulldoze a 5'1 D...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Veleno has similar tools and drawbacks.

Kupari also has much better tools.

I dont think its as black and white.

Plus theres that Berggren kid, that I probably like more than any center not named Kotkaniemi.

I think at this point there's an implicit understand almost nothing discussed here is clear cut. Taking a stance on those players however, is the whole point of it. I'm not a Veleno fan, neither do I believe they have similar drawbacks, as my main knocks on Veleno include a whole bunch of things (goal scoring, production from lower level plays, difficulty creating and using open space compared to the usual top center prospects among other things, his smarts are overstated) that I'm not worried about with Thomas. Thomas is a bit like Plekanec was way back, so I can see why he's not everyones cup of tea, that's fine.

But, is Berggren a center ? I see him as a winger. Since I don't follow SuperElit, I've only seen him there in highlights, where that's where he seemed to play. I haven't seen him anywhere other than wing internationally, however.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think at this point there's an implicit understand almost nothing discussed here is clear cut. Taking a stance on those players however, is the whole point of it. I'm not a Veleno fan, neither do I believe they have similar drawbacks, as my main knocks on Veleno include a whole bunch of things (goal scoring, production from lower level plays, difficulty creating and using open space compared to the usual top center prospects among other things, his smarts are overstated) that I'm not worried about with Thomas. Thomas is a bit like Plekanec was way back, so I can see why he's not everyones cup of tea, that's fine.

But, is Berggren a center ? I see him as a winger. Since I don't follow SuperElit, I've only seen him there in highlights, where that's where he seemed to play. I haven't seen him anywhere other than wing internationally, however.

Played both but im pretty sure he mainly played W, still, theres little doubt in my mind that this kid is the perfect C.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Played both but im pretty sure he mainly played W, still, theres little doubt in my mind that this kid is the perfect C.

If I knew he'd make the switch permanently, he'd shoot up my rankings. He's my favorite swedish forward this year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The way I see it, when someone gratuitously trashes my favorites, it's hilarious. One of the reasons I like this thread so much.

I like it when people challenge my views on someone. Then I go look at them again with their criticisms in mind and sometimes I see things that I didn't before and other times I don't agree.

A lot of the players I like haven't planned out. Very few that I didn't like have panned out. That's scouting. More often than not a guy doesn't make it. There's a limited number of spots and when you like talent, there's a limited number of top 6 spots.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Merkley is undoubtedly better at the right point position on the powerplay than Thomas is, but if that's the case put Thomas on the 2nd unit instead of parking him in front of the net lmao

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Noel would be the one big "potential" guy I'd take a chance on. Miller as well, to a lesser extent, but I don't like his reaction speed and he'll need to improve his edges quite a bit to be an NHLer.

Last edited by a moderator:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well I don’t know how Timmins can be at this tournament and not come out with Wahlstrom as his target. I don’t see anything that shows me he can be converted to centre, but it doesn’t matter. There’s no one as dangerous as him when the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone. If he saw something in Pacioretty, he needs to see it in Wahlstrom.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
What are everyone's tiers of prospects as of right now?
This is mine as of right now

1 - Dahlin

2 - Svechnikov

3 - Wahlstrom | Zadina

4 - Smith | Hughes | Dobson

5 - Tkachuk | Boqvist | Kravtsov

6 - Bouchard | Kotkaniemi | Kaut | Veleno | Wilde

7 - Lundestrom | Farabee | Hayton | Kupari | Dellandrea | Lundqvist

etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad