2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
previous thread....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-entry-draft-thread.2362399/

I closed the last one down as it got way off track once again. I feel as though there are a few threads that should be more for just information only so that fans that don't spend a lot of time in said threads can come in and just get the info they want and not have to wade through silly inside jokes or bickering over who likes who, etc... there are plenty of threads for that. So please keep that in mind.

Big day coming up next weekend for the lotto, hope the Habs win 1st or 2nd and do the right thing.

Last edited:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
May as well update my rankings on here:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Dobson
7. Hughes
8. Bouchard
9. Smith (extremely close to passing Bouchard)
10. Kotkaniemi
11. Tkachuk
12. Denisenko
13. Veleno
14. Kravtsov
15. Thomas
16. Farabee
17. Lundestrom
18. Kaut
19. Hayton
20. Shafigullin
21. Wilde
22. Wise
23. McIssaac
24. Berggren
25. Merkley
26. Bokk
27. Sandin
28. Kupari
29. Olofsson
30. Hallander
31. Hillis

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Dobson
7. Hughes
8. Bouchard
9. Smith (extremely close to passing Bouchard)
10. Kotkaniemi
11. Tkachuk
12. Denisenko
13. Veleno
14. Kravtsov
15. Thomas
16. Farabee
17. Lundestrom
18. Kaut
19. Hayton
20. Shafigullin
21. Wilde
22. Wise
23. McIssaac
24. Berggren
25. Merkley
26. Bokk
27. Sandin
28. Kupari
29. Olofsson
30. Hallander
31. Hillis
i think it's the same top-10 for me

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I could see the Yotes getting 1st, if the fix is in since that team is bleeding money and the NHL doesn't want to look bad there. Unless of course the league owes us for taking John Scott, which I would be fine with, even if it was 2nd overall as long as they didn't pick Tkachuk.
If we pick any player not named Svechnikov at 2, I would stop watching this team until everyone is fired.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Dobson
7. Hughes

I can't say much about this draft since I haven't seen many of them play outside the NCAA and WHL but Dobson would need to be very good (never saw him) in order for me to take him over Hughes who I am impressed with and would assume he's a top 5 pick depending on how the order ends up and their view of BPA.

If we pick any player not named Svechnikov at 2, I would stop watching this team until everyone is fired.

I literally expect the worst these days from the Habs, so I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if they actually did this.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
My biggest fear for this draft is we stay at 4th overall and pass on Wahlstrom for Tkachuk...

Ovbiously I'm excited for our 1st round pick, but I feel I'm at least equally as excited for our 4 2nd round picks.

What I keep thinking about is last year Bergevin and Timmins started using the term “asset” to define their picks. They look at them as either pieces to add to a team or potential trade targets. Select the best asset and move him if you need to plug a hole (like they did with Sergachev). Typically defencemen (and centres) are the most valuable assets (you can see they pretty much only picked defenders last draft). To me Dobson kind of fits that Timmins mold and is a big, toolsy RD, which is very valuable.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I could see the Yotes getting 1st, if the fix is in since that team is bleeding money and the NHL doesn't want to look bad there. Unless of course the league owes us for taking John Scott, which I would be fine with, even if it was 2nd overall as long as they didn't pick Tkachuk.

I don't believe these things are fixed. KPMG puts their certification on it that its not. A company like that isn't going to risk their business name and reputation on something that isn't on the up-and-up

Besides, if the League owed us for taking John Scott, it could have happened in the 2016 lottery, which came immediately after the John scott stuff.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Nah, if the NHL draft was fixed you can bet the Yotes would have gotten Matthews, that was by far what was ''best for business'' at that time. The NBA draft though, that's a whole other story ...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Wahlstrom
4. Zadina
5. Boqvist
6. Dobson
7. Hughes
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Bouchard
10. Tkachuk
11. Kravtsov
12. Smith
13. Farabee
14. Veleno
15. Lundeström
16. Kupari
17. Lundkvist
18. Kaut
19. Berggren
20. Denisenko
21. Alexeyev
22. Olofsson
23. Hållander
24. Tychonick
25. Ylönen
26. McLeod
27. Dellandrea
28. Bokk
29. Hayton
30. Sandin
31. Gustafsson

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I don’t have a problem with Tkachuk. I would like the team to fish for another first round pick.

My first choices in order:
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom
Boqvist
Hughes

I would like us to pickup another pick and take this Joel Farabee kid. Scouts rave about his compete level. He can score and has a Gallagher competitiveness.

Reactions: dralaf

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Watching USA vs Switzerland in the U-18s. Wahlstrom and Hughes are taking turns driving the offense.

But the defense is struggling with the Swiss. US is up 6-5 after two periods.

Announcer just compared Wahlstrom to Mike Bossy. I haven't seen enough of Oliver to support or challenge that observation. Does anyone here think Wahlstrom has that kind of elite talent?

I've seen more of Tkachuk and he didn't impress. Like others, I'm worried that's who the Habs will take.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
My biggest fear for this draft is we stay at 4th overall and pass on Wahlstrom for Tkachuk...

Ovbiously I'm excited for our 1st round pick, but I feel I'm at least equally as excited for our 4 2nd round picks.

I am very, very concerned that this is actually what will happen.

I don't know why so many are not interested in Tkachuk. A lot of posters are "afraid" of them selecting Brady Tkachuk. What is it about him or his game that has people not interested in him? There must be a reason why Tkachuk is ranked higher than Wahlstrom.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know why so many are not interested in Tkachuk. A lot of posters are "afraid" of them selecting Brady Tkachuk. What is it about him or his game that has people not interested in him? There must be a reason why Tkachuk is ranked higher than Wahlstrom.

I haven't seen much of him, but in the games I did see he was invisible, maybe he ends up being a very good NHLer just that for me from what I've seen I wouldn't take him in the top 10 as he just doesn't seem that skilled to me. Granted I don't watch non Hab prospects with much interest, if they pick him I will watch every game and offer my opinions but I just am not impressed with him at all.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Tkachuk will end up being a good player, but we need players that are going to be great. Especially if we are picking in the top 7.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I haven't seen much of him, but in the games I did see he was invisible, maybe he ends up being a very good NHLer just that for me from what I've seen I wouldn't take him in the top 10 as he just doesn't seem that skilled to me. Granted I don't watch non Hab prospects with much interest, if they pick him I will watch every game and offer my opinions but I just am not impressed with him at all.

Same here. This is why I'm not super active in this thread. I'm like you, I pay closer attention to prospects once they belong to Habs.

The reason I'm curious about Tkachuk is that it's not just a poster here or a poster there that doesn't want him. I don't think it's a big deal to have one person like one player over another and vice versa. But he's a player I keep reading people not wanting. It made me real curious to know why he's widely unwanted yet he's ranked 2nd among North American skaters.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Same here. This is why I'm not super active in this thread. I'm like you, I pay closer attention to prospects once they belong to Habs.

The reason I'm curious about Tkachuk is that it's not just a poster here or a poster there that doesn't want him. I don't think it's a big deal to have one person like one player over another and vice versa. But he's a player I keep reading people not wanting. It made me real curious to know why he's widely unwanted yet he's ranked 2nd among North American skaters.
It's just wrong. Svechnikov, Zadina and Wahlstrom are all better than him. They can skate better, shoot better, better skillset, better playmaking...etc

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
With a pick as high as what our pick will be, we need a player who can be great and who can really drive our team. Tkachuk might become a very good complimentary player but if we’re able to select a Svechnikov or a Wahlstrom, both of whom have much better skill sets than Tkachuk, then we absolutely need to.
Tkachuk was great at the WJCs but in all other times I’ve seen his BU games, he’s looked behind and sometimes disengaged...not the kind of player I’d want with a top-10 or likely top-5 pick.

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad