2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Honestly, I understand people liking Walstrom. He's a scoring machine, but he's no more a driving force than Tkachuk. He's the prototypical sniper, and looks to be on the lazy side which worries me.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Gotta be honest, that was a pretty terrible game for Lundkvist. He was not seeing the ice well today. That drop pass play has got 2 go.

Reactions: dralaf

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Gotta be honest, that was a pretty terrible game for Lundkvist. He was not seeing the ice well today. That drop pass play has got 2 go.
I don't know if it's nerves or something else but he's not showing the same kind of poise he had at the 5 Nations.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
On another note, I was expecting a better start for Olofsson after having good playoffs but he's been pretty invisible again. Berggren, Gustafsson thoroughly outplaying him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here's a pretty simple scouting tip for determining a high draft pick when rating forwards.

If there was 5 seconds left in a playoff game and you were down a goal. Who would you want having the puck?

Wahlstrom can break the game open with one touch. And he has all tournament.

I'd have Zadina Svechnikov ahead of tkachuk on that.

Reactions: sandviper

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Honestly if it wasn't for Lindbom playing on his head in the first two, Wahlstrom could've easily finished with another goal or two.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't know if it's nerves or something else but he's not showing the same kind of poise he had at the 5 Nations.

Nor in the SHL. You'd see the odd weak play from him or miscommunication, but generally, if there was an aggressive offensive play to make, he'd see it. Not seeing that from him so far.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
IMO, the observations that Wahlstrom is lazy and floats, well even if so, that should be coachable. I suppose if it’s attitude or character, scouts would figure it out but you don’t hear that about Wahlstrom like you do about Merkley.

That said, to me, Wahlstrom versus Tkachuk is no debate. Engagement to the play can be coached a lot easier than developing an NHL shot and offensive vision/IQ.

However, I suppose this makes Tkachuk more likely since I have no confidence in this current regime of guiding offensive talent.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Here's a pretty simple scouting tip for determining a high draft pick when rating forwards.

If there was 5 seconds left in a playoff game and you were down a goal. Who would you want having the puck?

Wahlstrom can break the game open with one touch. And he has all tournament.

I'd have Zadina Svechnikov ahead of tkachuk on that.

Lets do this one.

Down by a goal and a minute to play with the face off in our zone. Plekanec is our centre. Chucky at left or right wing. Outside of Svechnikov and Zadina you can pick the player you want on the other wing. Who is it ?

EDIT: Put in Danault as centre if you like

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Lets do this one.

Down by a goal and a minute to play with the face off in our zone. Plekanec is our centre. Chucky at left or right wing. Outside of Svechnikov and Zadina you can pick the player you want on the other wing. Who is it ?

Are we still picking between Wahlstrom and Tkachuk? Still Wahlstrom as he’ll get up the ice a lot quicker and still has that lethal shot.

I know we’re down by a goal and in our zone in this example, but I would still put Drouin out there as center, or at worst, Danault. I know Plekanec is more consistent faceoff wise, but he’s useless offensively.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
People forget Boeser had the same "concerns" at the start of the season we're hearing about Wahlstrom now from some posters.
Lettuce be real if we had Laine people here would still find a way to complain about his lack of grinding.

Anyways I'm out for a couple hours, counting on you schmos to report on the Canada game.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
At this point, any team interested in drafting Miller must have a plan to play him on the wing. That guy is not a defenceman.
Get him some good coaching before you decide that for sure. I have hardly watched the NTDP but have seen American fans shitting on Appert left and right, essentially saying that they have 0 defensive structure.

So this is the first U18 game I get to watch since I was in school for the start of the tournament and was too lazy to get up for 7:30 today and yesterday. I'm hyped.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Wasn't impressed by Noel during the season but I can admit that he's been great this tournament. Flashing everything you'd hope to see from a guy like him.

Reactions: Habs76

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
McBain is really not impressing me in this tournament. Merkley having a good game so far, seeing lanes that no one at ice level should be able to see.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
McBain is really not impressing me in this tournament. Merkley having a good game so far, seeing lanes that no one at ice level should be able to see.
Merkley's skills are crazy. I hope someone straightens him out, and I hope its the Habs. I could see him being available in the second.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Merkley's skills are crazy. I hope someone straightens him out, and I hope its the Habs. I could see him being available in the second.
He's an absolutely brilliant passer and decent defensively when he actually puts in the effort, he just needs to put in the effort. I really hope someone can get through to him, he could be a great player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lets do this one.

EDIT: Put in Danault as centre if you like

Absolutely Wahlstrom. We are down a goal. What's a slow footed guy with less puck skills, and dynamism going to do for me?

Wahlstrom would be the best player on the ice in this situation.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He's an absolutely brilliant passer and decent defensively when he actually puts in the effort, he just needs to put in the effort. I really hope someone can get through to him, he could be a great player.
Yeah, I got to see two Guelph games this year and in one he looked good, but didn't do a whole lot defensively. The second game was the game in which Guelph was on the verge of elimination, and he played with more drive than anyone else on the ice. Had a few gaffes defensively, but not because of a lack of effort. Scored a goal and hit iron 2-3 times IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad