2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's a young kid playing vs men in a very strong league. HF Boards Habs page almost rioted last June when the Habs took Poehling at #25 which turned out to be a damn good pick

I dunno, I find the NCAA to be overrated, especially around here in the wake of the Poehling selection. It's a strong league, and in terms of average quality (especially in Brady's conference and NCHC) it's better than the CHL. But the top CHL teams could hang, IMO. It's not a pro-league, and thus I don't think it's appropriate to speak of it in the same terms. If someone says ''this kid is playing against men'' I assume they're talking about Liiga, SHL, KHL, NLA, that sort of thing. A league where dudes with NHL games hang out. 31 points in the NCAA is good in that it allows for high offensive potential, but it's not like it certifies it.

But watching the games typically leaves you wanting more. I'm not trying to be cute, but, I have actually fallen asleep watching Brady Tkachuk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probability says we get the 5th or 6th pick. Any of Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Dobson, Hughes, I’d be happy. Would be nice to get a top 2 pick but if not, I think we get a solid grade A prospect regardless.

As far as Tkachuk.. I think his skills fit with Poehling, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Gallagher. I won’t be upset if we end up drafting Tkachuk. His combo of size/skill/grit is needed in our forward group!

Not super high on Tkachuk but he’s going to be drafted in the top 10 for sure IMO.

This would be my order of rank though. I think we need goal scoring (right handed shots) and a left handed shooting PMD.

Wahlstrom
Hughes
Dobson
Tkachuk

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I dunno, I find the NCAA to be overrated, especially around here in the wake of the Poehling selection. It's a strong league, and in terms of average quality (especially in Brady's conference and NCHC) it's better than the CHL. But the top CHL teams could hang, IMO. It's not a pro-league, and thus I don't think it's appropriate to speak of it in the same terms. If someone says ''this kid is playing against men'' I assume they're talking about Liiga, SHL, KHL, NLA, that sort of thing. A league where dudes with NHL games hang out. 31 points in the NCAA is good in that it allows for high offensive potential, but it's not like it certifies it.

But watching the games typically leaves you wanting more. I'm not trying to be cute, but, I have actually fallen asleep watching Brady Tkachuk.

I didn't think you slept at all, using your VPNs, checking out talents worldwide!

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't think you slept at all, using your VPNs, checking out talents worldwide!

It's just the NHL that I don't get to watch so much anymore lol. Mostly afternoon games, and during those glorious couple weeks per year when the eastern sea-board is only 5 hours behind instead of 6.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The reason he is underrated on this board isn't because we don't think he's good. It's because he's a complementary player, a very good one, but on this team we have nobody for him to complement. So most people want a player that drives the play, like Quinn Hughes who had a better ppg than Brady, in the same league. Like Boqvist or Zadina or Wahlstrom to name a few.

I think most people feel like Tkachuk is a top 10 pick, no? I think his great U20's shot him up the charts and some of the more knowledgable posters here have been saying what most people will soon be saying...he is a good prospect, but not a sure fire top 5 pick.

Reactions: NoQuinn

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Sure. But there's a good bet he's there 5 or so spots later than we're picking, might as well get something out of it.

I guess it depends where we pick, but that would be a great scenario if he is our guy and we can find a dance partner!

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The reason he is underrated on this board isn't because we don't think he's good. It's because he's a complementary player, a very good one, but on this team we have nobody for him to complement. So most people want a player that drives the play, like Quinn Hughes who had a better ppg than Brady, in the same league. Like Boqvist or Zadina or Wahlstrom to name a few.

Not sure about a complementary player. I see Tkachuk as a potential top line winger and a safe bet as a 2nd liner. He's significantly ahead of Wahlstrom at this point in their career in my opinion. Wahlstrom's a great goal scorer but somewhat lazy...reminds me of Vanek (which isn't a terrible thing).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling and Tkachuk played together.

The Habs once drafted 4 guys from the same team, it didn't work out so well as only 1 made the NHL. Getting guys that play together can help but I wouldn't go out of my way to draft a teammate unless I felt they had great chemistry and it just made too much sense.

I'm sure Poehling/Tkachuk would do well together but it doesn't mean we should draft him unless we are trading down.

Not sure about a complementary player. I see Tkachuk as a potential top line winger and a safe bet as a 2nd liner. He's significantly ahead of Wahlstrom at this point in their career in my opinion. Wahlstrom's a great goal scorer but somewhat lazy...reminds me of Vanek (which isn't a terrible thing).

If I'm picking top 5 I want more then safe bet to be a 2nd liner. The Habs need to nail this draft and they went safe last year in Poehling, time to take a risk on a high skilled player imo.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
If they take Tkachuk with Wahlstrom or one of the Big 4 defenseman available(Smith, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist) it will cause a riot on this board.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
If they take Tkachuk with Wahlstrom or one of the Big 4 defenseman available(Smith, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist) it will cause a riot on this board.
And with the 1st overall pick, the Montreal Canadiens are extremely proud to select....from the Boston University Terriers...Brady Tkachuk!

Bergevin’s interview: “we loved Brady’s karakter, teams that lose 40 games don’t have guys like Brady, he brings lots of karakter to our team, which is something that we wanted to address with this pick. Montreal hasn’t had a 1st overall pick in a long time so we had to make sure we picked a guy who can help us to not lose 40 games again.”

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Any news from Kotkaniemi?

It hasn't been a fantastic tournament for him so far. He played quite poorly in the 3rd periods of both games. He probably deserved better in the second game (he had 7 shots, and set up at least 3 good scoring opportunities), but that's just sour grapes. Needs to do better.

So far as his overall play at center though, he's shown that his understanding of that position has developed since the 5 nations.

Reactions: Frank JT

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Wahlstrom, so hot right now.

hansel_zoolander.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events