2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If I'm being honest, I think the 4 2nds might make a bigger impact on this team than whoever we pick at 3.

The talent available moving into the early second is awesome and there are still players with great offensive upside ranked 60+.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If I'm being honest, I think the 4 2nds might make a bigger impact on this team than whoever we pick at 3.

The talent available moving into the early second is awesome and there are still players with great offensive upside ranked 60+.

I would love if we kept all 4 2nd rounders, but I HIGHLY doubt we keep them all. Just a feeling but I’d bank on us not making all four.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
They're not on the list.

Those three guys will get picked up far before half the guys on your list - not sure why you value them so much lower than NHL scouts, but hey that's the fun of creating your own list within your own parameters, yes?

Thing is, what if Montreal takes Veleno?!? The weeping and gnashing of teeth on this thread will be something! I'm hoping for you guys that they don't take him (or McBain or Groulx...)

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
We have the depth already... we got Poehling, Danault, DLR, McCarron, Evans, Ikonen, Vejdemo... you add Vilardi, you don't force a pick. If Kotkaniemi is the top guy then fine, but I think Zadina just makes a whole lot more sense at that point.
McCarron, Ikonen and Vejdemo are non factors for me. Evans and JDLR are depth pieces. If Vilardi, Poehling and Kotkaniemi were to pan out then Danault can be used to acquire a good winger. Better to have too many good centres than not enough.

Kotkaniemi is also my #3 prospect so its just BPA for me anyway. If I wanted a sniper bad enough I would go Wahlstrom.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Vilardi has more of a style that can work without great skating. Kotkaniemi is a guy you hope improves his skating in order to reach his potential.
Thats what Dal Colle said.... I've watched him live quite a few times, he even looks slow against Junior players, doesn't seem physically involved, looks uninterested.... Then you look at the score sheet and he has three points lol. Kotkaniemi is physically ingaged, always flying around and involved. I really don't see why Vilardi gets a pass....at all. Maybe Vilardi's not challenged enough in Junior and he's bored, but man... It doesn't look good.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I would love if we kept all 4 2nd rounders, but I HIGHLY doubt we keep them all. Just a feeling but I’d bank on us not making all four.

With the amount of wheeling and dealing Bergevin has to do, I'm sure you're right. They're good currency this time of year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thats what Dal Colle said.... I've watched him live quite a few times, he even looks slow against Junior players, doesn't seem physically involved, looks uninterested.... Then you look at the score sheet and he has three points lol. Kotkaniemi is physically ingaged, always flying around and involved. I really don't see why Vilardi gets a pass....at all. Maybe Vilardi's not challenged enough in Junior and he's bored, but man... It doesn't look good.
I've seen Vilardi get on his horse when he needs to... but when I look at Vilardi, I see a guy who's got elite size/strength, elite skill, and just always knows where to be.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Imagine them picking Beaudin with Alexeyev, Ylonen, Berggren on the board.

I really can't see the Habs passing on Alexeyev at all.

Besides our western scout seems decent enough. Last 4 drafts: Brook, Walford, Fleury, Tyzska, Juulsen, Scherbak & Lernout. 6D out of 7 picks too.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've seen Vilardi get on his horse when he needs to... but when I look at Vilardi, I see a guy who's got elite size/strength, elite skill, and just always knows where to be.

That's not much of an elaboration.

For example, I could say JK's translates better because not only does he have that skill and IQ, and sad as it is - is more mobile, but instead of stength he has a higher compete and keeps giving 2nd efforts. Two very translatable attributes in the pros.

But really, your issue is that he's a "reach".

Nevermind that he's actually not amongst scouts anymore, why did you yourself, just few weeks ago, give the Jets as an example of a team that didn't regret " reaching" for a player like Scheifele.

There's no consistency there.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That's not much of an elaboration.

For example, I could say JK's translates better because not only does he have that skill and IQ, and sad as it is - is more mobile, but instead of stength he has a higher compete and keeps giving 2nd efforts. Two very translatable attributes in the pros.

But really, your issue is that he's a "reach".

Nevermind that he's actually not amongst scouts anymore, why did you yourself, just few weeks ago, give the Jets as an example of a team that didn't regret " reaching" for a player like Scheifele.

There's no consistency there.
I'm allowed to like different players more lol

I see special abilities in Vilardi. Kotkaniemi has great passing, but Vilardi has rare hockey IQ, dude just knows where to be before anyone else does, and his strength is tremendous... as his skill. He's a tremendous prospect.

I'd also say Vilardi is more agile than Kotkaniemi, the way he can spin and control the puck is very impressive for a big man.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Thats a first
Wheeler has Beaudin at 34 and Alexeyev at 47.
Button has Beaudin at 20 and Alexeyev at 51.

So definitely not a first.

For me I just don't see his offense being a factor enough and translate well in the NHL. And the time of the big bad defensive d man is over. I'd pick Beaudin before him any day.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wheeler has Beaudin at 34 and Alexeyev at 47.
Button has Beaudin at 20 and Alexeyev at 51.

So definitely not a first.

For me I just don't see his offense being a factor enough and translate well in the NHL. And the time of the big bad defensive d man is over. I'd pick Beaudin before him any day.
Alex is like, 25 times more skilled than Beaudin, though. So on top of being a lot bigger, stronger, mobile, hes also more toolsy and probably just as smart a player. Alexeyev wouldve had better stats had he not injured himself, as shown by his PO production.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
It’s possible we draft in the first round 3 times tomorrow: our 3rd, a 1st from the Patches trade, and a trade up using two 2nd rounders.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Alex is like, 25 times more skilled than Beaudin, though. So on top of being a lot bigger, stronger, mobile, hes also more toolsy and probably just as smart a player. Alexeyev wouldve had better stats had he not injured himself, as shown by his PO production.
I don't know why you're trying to create a useless debate lol I prefer Beaudin, as do two experts. I'll take their words and my own opinion before yours.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

That's why I'm hoping we keep those 4 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->