2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Over 30 points vs men in one of the toughest conferences in the NCAA doesn't impress you? What about 9 points in 7 games in the WJC before his draft year? He even worked his way up to the top line on Team USA. Tkachuk would have lit the CHL up like a Christmas tree.

I can only speak to the games I saw and as I said I don't focus on non Hab prospects. The only times I saw him he was playing against a Hab prospect and that's why I was watching and that's what I was focused on. I didn't see any WJC games. He had a good year in the NCAA, I watched Danny Kristo put up 36 pts as a Freshman, he was very good that year but points aren't everything as he ended up being the 2nd best player in the NCAA his senior year and look where it got him. In no way am I comparing them, just saying that points can be deceiving if you don't have the context to put them in.

I know it was a down year for BU and he's more of a playmaker since he was tied for 5th on his team in goals but led the team in assists which certainly is impressive. As I said if we draft him, I'll be watching every game, but from the few times I saw him I wasn't impressed. Now Hughes on the other hand, the few times I saw him I was very impressed. He can easily pull off highly reel moves, has elite skating, out scored Tkachuk in a similar situation that is a big time program that didn't do as well as they usually do, Freshman coming out of the USNDTP (where he outscored him there as well)

So for me I would certainly pick Hughes over Tkachuk, and we'll see where we end up picking, who's on board at the time but I just don't want Tkachuk in the top 10 although that's not really based on anything as I haven't seen much of the other prospects outside the NCAA as that was the league I saw the most of this year. As I said I don't really scout guys until they become a Hab prospect as it's just too time consuming.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I was very impressed with Tkachuk at the WJC. I've watched about 10 of NCAA games. I've never once been impressed with anything but his strength in that league. It might have something to do with Agganis being an international sized ice surface, but seriously, go watch a few of his home games if you haven't already and tell me you want to select him top 5.

He's a young kid playing vs men in a very strong league. HF Boards Habs page almost rioted last June when the Habs took Poehling at #25 which turned out to be a damn good pick

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I can only speak to the games I saw and as I said I don't focus on non Hab prospects. The only times I saw him he was playing against a Hab prospect and that's why I was watching and that's what I was focused on. I didn't see any WJC games. He had a good year in the NCAA, I watched Danny Kristo put up 36 pts as a Freshman, he was very good that year but points aren't everything as he ended up being the 2nd best player in the NCAA his senior year and look where it got him. In no way am I comparing them, just saying that points can be deceiving if you don't have the context to put them in.

I know it was a down year for BU and he's more of a playmaker since he was tied for 5th on his team in goals but led the team in assists which certainly is impressive. As I said if we draft him, I'll be watching every game, but from the few times I saw him I wasn't impressed. Now Hughes on the other hand, the few times I saw him I was very impressed. He can easily pull off highly reel moves, has elite skating, out scored Tkachuk in a similar situation that is a big time program that didn't do as well as they usually do, Freshman coming out of the USNDTP (where he outscored him there as well)

So for me I would certainly pick Hughes over Tkachuk, and we'll see where we end up picking, who's on board at the time but I just don't want Tkachuk in the top 10 although that's not really based on anything as I haven't seen much of the other prospects outside the NCAA as that was the league I saw the most of this year. As I said I don't really scout guys until they become a Hab prospect as it's just too time consuming.

Fair points and yes Hughes looks terrific. I still think people are underrating Tkachuk on this board much like Poehling last year largely because of the calibre of play they were up against in their draft year. Tkachuk's game transcends well to the NHL (better than a Kristo) and I stand by that he would have lit up the CHL.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Do you have a paid account at sportbladet?

Saw your question and I logged on using the Stockholm VPN and I just got an account. The good news is that it is only 1 kr (sek) which is roughly 13 US cents for the first month and I won't keep it beyond that, secondly it worked with my US VISA card, no Swedish address necessary. It's a subsidiary to Aftonbladet.se which is a daily evening newspaper (all daily evening papers in Sweden are tabloids and crap). Interesting that the US team which should win this given how much they have played together has 3 dual US/Swedish citizens on their team. Oliver Wahlström, Adam Samuelsson and Mattias Samuelsson.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It seems that I have to get the plus premium version (99 sek is 12 US)) to be able to watch the U18 hockey live. I doubt I'll get up at 3 AM to watch junior hockey so I won't get it. However I didn't need any physical address, just the email address when signing up for the regular so I assume it will be the same.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
A poster on the main board said Boqvist prefers playing on the left side.
If so, hes the ideal Weber partner

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Wahlstrom - Brock Boeser
Hughes - Jared Spurgeon on steroids
Boqvist - Erik Karlsson
Tkachuk - Jamie Benn
Dobson - Alex Pietrangelo

Please note this is simply a stylistic comparison. Not saying Tkachuk is Jamie Benn. Tough to compare Hughes to anyone, he’s pretty unique in play style.
Benn drives the play on his lines and is also a shooting threat to goalies, something I've yet to see from Brady.
Landeskog comes to mind when I see him play.

Last edited:

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Fair points and yes Hughes looks terrific. I still think people are underrating Tkachuk on this board much like Poehling last year largely because of the calibre of play they were up against in their draft year. Tkachuk's game transcends well to the NHL (better than a Kristo) and I stand by that he would have lit up the CHL.
The reason he is underrated on this board isn't because we don't think he's good. It's because he's a complementary player, a very good one, but on this team we have nobody for him to complement. So most people want a player that drives the play, like Quinn Hughes who had a better ppg than Brady, in the same league. Like Boqvist or Zadina or Wahlstrom to name a few.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
A poster on the main board said Boqvist prefers playing on the left side.
If so, hes the ideal Weber partner
Works well in the offensive zone but typically d-men struggle on their offside in their own zone as they're on their backhand and blindsided retrieving pucks along the boards, maybe with a guy like that we don't spend as much time in there tho

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
Does anyone else find that Calgary's first rounder (NYI pick) is frequently a top 3 pick in lottery simulators? I find I see that pick constantly moving up.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Saw someone talk about Landeskog in regards to Tkatchuk.

Landeskog had 66 points in 53 games in the OHL his draft year and yet was drafted 2nd overall.

I do think it would be fair to say that Brady could have had similar stats in the OHL this year while being a similar player.

I understand that a Landeskog would not put this franchise ahead, but it is certainly I nice piece to add.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Benn drives the play on his lines and is also a shooting threat to goalies, something I've yet to see from Brady.
Landeskog comes to mind when I see him play.

That’s fair. I found it tough to find a comparison. Benn’s hands are way better. Landeskog is a good one.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Landeskog had 66 points in 53 games in the OHL his draft year and yet was drafted 2nd overall.

I do think it would be fair to say that Brady could have had similar stats in the OHL this year while being a similar player.

I understand that a Landeskog would not put this franchise ahead, but it is certainly I nice piece to add.
A nice piece but he drops a few places in a 2011 redraft

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I'd want more than a Landeskog out of this pick, as good as he may be.

I like a lot of the dmen personally. I wouldn't be too keen on spending that pick on a winger that isn't named Svechnikov.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's certainly possible he's being underrated as with this board NCAA guys can be as they aren't usually seen as much. That said I wouldn't compare him to Poehling, as Poehling should have been in the USHS or USHL last year but instead spent half the season as a 17 year old which impacted his production. Tkachuk turns 19 before next season starts, and had the advantage of being more physically mature as well.

As for Kristo, his problems were off the ice, with his speed and shot his game was very much suited for today's game. I certainly can see the Habs drafting Tkachuk and if they do then hopefully they made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad