GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft l June 22nd & 23rd l "Don't screw this up, Avs!" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is the day of the year when HF is at is most optimistic. We're hopeful about all the newly drafted players. Even a Kvaca looks good in the midsummer light.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If the Avs aren't going to pursue ROR, can he at least not end up in the division please? 9 points in 6 games against the Avs so far. Those division games are too important. Especially when so many of them come at the end of every season.
Can you imagine if the Wild somehow traded for him?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Those camp invites do seem like guys the Avs would like. Two character guys, plus Kotkov who slipped through the draft despite being ranked decently high. I bet Kotkov wins a contract and maybe Breton gets an AHL deal as a lefty defenseman.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm guessing skating is the main reason Kotkov went undrafted? Been watching some videos of him and it looks pretty rough. He's huge and seems very skilled though.

Reactions: MarkT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Detroit seemed to have a good draft. Picking big names dropping (Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac) and having seven picks in the first three rounds.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Everyone talks about Eggenberger because of his name but he was actually ranked pretty high earlier in the season (~2nd rounder IIRC). I'd not be against sending him a camp invite.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know we are a year away but I really hope we can snag Nolan Foote next year in the first round. Obviously a bit for the feels, but I got to see a bit of him in his first WHL season and I thought he would have been a good later round snag in LAST years draft until I realized his age. Didn't pay attention to his growth at all this season and seems like he's dropped from what could have been a top 5 selection, but reminds me a lot of a Jamie Benn type. He fits a need, could be around when we have our selection and has the genes to boot.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I know we are a year away but I really hope we can snag Nolan Foote next year in the first round. Obviously a bit for the feels, but I got to see a bit of him in his first WHL season and I thought he would have been a good later round snag in LAST years draft until I realized his age. Didn't pay attention to his growth at all this season and seems like he's dropped from what could have been a top 5 selection, but reminds me a lot of a Jamie Benn type. He fits a need, could be around when we have our selection and has the genes to boot.
Yeah, it's good that he's fell a bit since now he might be there for the Avs to take on their own pick. Because obviously I just want the legacy pick fan service 3000 over everything.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I know Hepple said that all the Europeans picked was an accident, but does it feel to anybody else like they're just straight up avoiding the CHL lately? Since 2015, when they took Beaudin, Meloche, and Boikov from the Q, the last three drafts have seen just five CHL players taken: Travis Barron, Josh Anderson, Brandon Saigeon, Nick Henry, and Conor Timmins. A second, a third, a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh. Of those, the only pick we love is Timmins, and the consensus is generally that Barron, Anderson, and Saigeon were throwaway picks with the jury out on Henry.

That seems like a really low count for a team over three drafts.. Euro leagues, Junior A, and USHL picks seem to be the big theme with Hepple since 2015, his first year as head scout (and Roy's last draft where he had major influence). The few CHL picks have been mostly crap and feel like bones thrown to scouts more than a comprehensive strategy.

You have to wonder if Hepple and Sakic feel like the CHL is an overscouted league. Either that, or they don't trust their CHL scouts, but if that were the case why wouldn't they get new ones? They certainly are aggressively going after leagues that a lot of teams don't tend to dip into much, with a heavy focus on NCAA bound players (two first rounders in a row). It certainly seems like the strategy is paying off so far, it's just strange to me that they're paying so little attention to the world's largest development system, and even then it's mostly just lip service.

Here's the breakdown of picks laid out over the last 3 drafts.

USHL/Junior A/USHS - 8
SHL/Liiga/Czech/KHL/MHL - 8
WHL/OHL/QMJHL - 5

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know Hepple said that all the Europeans picked was an accident, but does it feel to anybody else like they're just straight up avoiding the CHL lately? Since 2015, when they took Beaudin, Meloche, and Boikov from the Q, the last three drafts have seen just five CHL players taken: Travis Barron, Josh Anderson, Brandon Saigeon, Nick Henry, and Conor Timmins. A second, a third, a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh. Of those, the only pick we love is Timmins, and the consensus is generally that Barron, Anderson, and Saigeon were throwaway picks with the jury out on Henry.

That seems like a really low count for a team over three drafts.. Euro leagues, Junior A, and USHL picks seem to be the big theme with Hepple since 2015, his first year as head scout (and Roy's last draft where he had major influence). The few CHL picks have been mostly crap and feel like bones thrown to scouts more than a comprehensive strategy.

You have to wonder if Hepple and Sakic feel like the CHL is an overscouted league. Either that, or they don't trust their CHL scouts, but if that were the case why wouldn't they get new ones? They certainly are aggressively going after leagues that a lot of teams don't tend to dip into much, with a heavy focus on NCAA bound players (two first rounders in a row). It certainly seems like the strategy is paying off so far, it's just strange to me that they're paying so little attention to the world's largest development system, and even then it's mostly just lip service.

Here's the breakdown of picks laid out over the last 3 drafts.

USHL/Junior A/USHS - 8
SHL/Liiga/Czech/KHL/MHL - 8
WHL/OHL/QMJHL - 5

How often does a low round CHL player break into the NHL as a real steal versus Euros? (Including Russians?) I'm seriously curious.. These days it seems like it's near impossible to find mid to late round steals out of North America.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They havent picked in the Q since Roy left have they? Who's scouting the Q for the AVS these days?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How often does a low round CHL player break into the NHL as a real steal versus Euros? (Including Russians?) I'm seriously curious.. These days it seems like it's near impossible to find mid to late round steals out of North America.
It happens. Jake Dotchin, Colin Miller, Andrew Shaw, Andreas Athanasiou, and Victor Mete all came from the CHL. But a quick look at the draft history (not counting the last few years because it's hard to judge yet), I see Djoos, Palat, Kase, Bratt, Forsling, Arvidsson, Nesterov, and Fast coming out of Europe. Out of college, Manson, Kerfoot, Gaudreau, Butcher, Dzingel, and Copp. It does seem like the odds are more on your side even though the dice rolls are still slim.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This post from the prospect board russian prospects thread absolutely killed me:
Haha yeah, I saw that too. They're also screaming about Dronov not getting picked in that thread, and putting aside that particular player they kind of have a point that NHL teams don't seem to have time for defensive D from Russia these days. It was pretty much all offense this draft, 11 forwards and just 4 defensemen from Russia picked this year (3 D if you don't count Alexeyev from the WHL), and Zhuravlyov and Semykin are supposed to be offensive types.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Haha yeah, I saw that too. They're also screaming about Dronov not getting picked in that thread, and putting aside that particular player they kind of have a point that NHL teams don't seem to have time for defensive D from Russia these days. It was pretty much all offense this draft, 11 forwards and just 4 defensemen from Russia picked this year (3 D if you don't count Alexeyev from the WHL), and Zhuravlyov and Semykin are supposed to be offensive types.

I think the russian factor can be more of an issue for defensive dmen because they usually take longer to develop and really have to grind their way through the AHL to get a shot...see Dunk the Lunk. I mean, even Boikov has gotten tempting offers to go back home, and he's far from senior league ready; plus we saw first hand how Mironov was unwilling to grind it out in the AHL. Guys who put up #s have an easier time making a name for themselves & breaking through in NA. So maybe teams are less worried about them getting sick of NA & going home?

Plus it could be similar to why we see so few russsian bottom 6 forwards (grinders) in NA, the KHL is happy to pay those types of players a lot more than NHL clubs, so most of them stay in Russia. Could be a similar dynamic with salaries for russian defensive dmen.

btdubs, I thought Semykin was a giant defensive D like Tryamkin? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
btdubs, I thought Semykin was a giant defensive D like Tryamkin? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?
Could be, I dunno, I might be thinking of Romanov, too. I wasn't too familiar with the Russian D this year, I actually only looked up Zhuravlyov because I thought it would be funny to hear Haynes try to say his name. Oh well, I don't imagine Moser would have much better luck.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Could be, I dunno, I might be thinking of Romanov, too. I wasn't too familiar with the Russian D this year, I actually only looked up Zhuravlyov because I thought it would be funny to hear Haynes try to say his name. Oh well, I don't imagine Moser would have much better luck.

well you did more than me cause what little youth hockey I watched was exclusively dedicated to forwards lol

That would be great, especially cause it’s basically just “Giraffe” all Russified & with a “lyov” at the end to make it into a last-name :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My overall thoughts on the draft:

Kaut - Outside of the heart issue (which likely shouldn't be an issue), this is a safe play here. Should be a good middle 6 winger for a long time. I don't think there is true 1st line upside, but he can be a real productive player for a long time.
Annunen - I think this pick was made a bit high, but very happy they got a 1 year eligible goalie that has higher upside. He has the right size and technical parts to his game to be effective... needs to develop his legs a lot more to be more explosive.
Ranta - In what I felt was a weaker year in the USHL, he was my 2nd rated non-NDTP player. He is a very north and south sort of player and has massive bouts of tunnel vision... but he can shoot the puck and really skate. For a guy his size, his skating is some of the very best in this draft. He will be on a 3/4 year sort of development curve, but I think he has a real solid chance of becoming a 3rd liner that pops in 15+ goals and is a shorthanded threat.
Weiss - My favorite pick in the draft. There is quite a bit of projection here, but I had him in the middle of the second. To me, there is legit top 6 upside here. There is a great skill set to work with here, but he really needs to bulk up. I'd be surprised if he is over 155 right now, and for most of the season he was in the upper 140 range. He just couldn't keep on the weight. If he can bulk up and start putting on weight I think he can be a high impact player. A Skinner-lite sort of player.
Saigeon - Probably my least favorite pick in this draft. Not that I think he is a bad player, I just see very little real upside here. I doubt he ever makes the NHL, but if he doesn't it won't be past a 4th line sort of role. Hard worker, good shot, and good defensive player. Likely steps right into a bottom 6 AHL role and does well. Seems like a pick to shore up the Eagles as much as anything.
Zhuravlyov - Another solid pick to me. The kid has a smooth skating stride (not super fast) and good offensive skills. Superb puck mover at his level. Now he doesn't play the game in a NA style and is a bit of a puck watcher in both zones with significant drift to his game. I'd like to see the kid come over to the AHL in a season or two to start working on adapting his skills to the NA game. To me that will be key to his development.
Kovalenko - Solid risk to take here. There are major doubts on getting him over from Russia for a number of reasons, but Nikolai is very skilled and smart as a player. He wasn't blessed with his father's thick frame, but most people I've talked to think he is still growing. The big risk I see from him is simply getting him over and becoming Gusev 2.0.
Shmakov - There were rumblings that teams had interest in him, but I didn't think anybody would actually pull the trigger. Very athletic... very not technically sound. As a 7th rounder it is decent risk/reward sort of take. I'm not great at goalie scouting in general, so from a technical standpoint, I'm not a great resource... but even I can see that he is all over the place and frequently out of position. His size combined with his athleticism allows him to make to highlight reel saves, but these moments will be exploited as he progresses up the levels. A good mentor will be key for him to settle down. On the positive note, I absolutely love how he just took over the starting spot over an older, more established goalie and didn't look back. He took the crease and it was his unquestionably.

Personally, I think this draft was a step back from last year in what I think was a stronger draft year. Still I think there are some real good prospects in this group and some solid building blocks.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
well you did more than me cause what little youth hockey I watched was exclusively dedicated to forwards lol

That would be great, especially cause it’s basically just “Giraffe” all Russified & with a “lyov” at the end to make it into a last-name :laugh:
Will be calling him Giraffelyov or the Giraffe from now on.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad