Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'd almost rather package it with other assets for a competent Top 4 RHD.
I wouldn't hate this either. I'm a bit down on this draft and if we can find someone who can be part of the core and help our D group, I wouldn't be too upset.

Last year I was the opposite as it just seemed too soon, I liked the draft better and 17 is different than a mid 20s pick. On draft day when the Hamonic rumours were swirling I was nervous. But this year could be a perfect storm. I'd hate to see it go for the sake of change, but a legit upgrade wouldn't hurt us.

I also understand the importance of always keeping the pipeline stocked and ready. So its an interesting debate, all depends on what you can unearth.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't hate this either. I'm a bit down on this draft and if we can find someone who can be part of the core and help our D group, I wouldn't be too upset.

Last year I was the opposite as it just seemed too soon, I liked the draft better and 17 is different than a mid 20s pick. On draft day when the Hamonic rumours were swirling I was nervous. But this year could be a perfect storm. I'd hate to see it go for the sake of change, but a legit upgrade wouldn't hurt us.

I also understand the importance of always keeping the pipeline stocked and ready. So its an interesting debate, all depends on what you can unearth.

Depends on the age of the player, to be honest. With the Gardiner contract running down, it might be a good year to beef up the blueline and have a guy who can bridge till when Liljegren is ready, but really needs to be here for a long time in order to make the first a worthwhile investment. Presumably you're giving up on some ELC years too.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Kravtsov up to 3 (International) and Merkley implodes to 45 (NA) in Central Scouting's final ranking. I still think somebody will take him either late 1st or very early 2nd.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kravtsov up to 3 (International) and Merkley implodes to 45 (NA) in Central Scouting's final ranking. I still think somebody will take him either late 1st or very early 2nd.

This is the worst news.

I went from thinking "Kravtsov is a 2nd/3rd steal" to "late 1st steal" to "this guy probably won't make it past 10" in like 4 months.

Guess it's time for me to find a new draft steal late in the 1st.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I have a penchant for defence, so I voted Jett Woo.

But I also really like Rasmus Sandin, or some of the D that might plummet in this draft.
Woo's concussion history scares me and his offense is pretty limited. Similar to a more watered down Matt Dumba without the ridiculous shot. Sandin's mobility isn't the greatest for a sub 6'0 D which I think will limit him.

IMO, one of the most underrated defensemen in this class is Jared McIsaac. Terrific poise, skating ability and soft hands; reminds me of Provorov the way he carries the puck. 6'2", around 200lbs and plays a hard nosed, defence first game. Everything about him screams top 4, two-way D with potential to be more. Might be out of our reach though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Woo's concussion history scares me and his offense is pretty limited. Similar to a more watered down Matt Dumba without the ridiculous shot. Sandin's mobility isn't the greatest for a sub 6'0 D which I think will limit him.

IMO, one of the most underrated defensemen in this class is Jared McIsaac. Terrific poise, skating ability and soft hands; reminds me of Provorov the way he carries the puck. 6'2", around 200lbs and plays a hard nosed, defence first game. Everything about him screams top 4, two-way D with potential to be more. Might be out of our reach though.

Woo is a tale of two seasons. Prior to his injury he was one of the best defensive defenseman in the entire CHL, while being able to hold his own offensively. Coming back, he was a mess. All depends which side you buy into, and if you believe his injuries will continue.

Reactions: DraftGuru

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Woo is a tale of two seasons. Prior to his injury he was one of the best defensive defenseman in the entire CHL, while being able to hold his own offensively. Coming back, he was a mess. All depends which side you buy into, and if you believe his injuries will continue.
I agree with Morgs, I think the injuries Woo has obtained would make any team wary on selecting him. Concussions are traumatic brain injuries and arent to be taken lightly, especially at 17-18. This is a little different than say Morgan Rielly and his knee injury in his draft year. Even though Woo might bring something we need from the right side, we might have to take a pass. He surely hasnt been the same player since his return.

Reactions: Morgs

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
This is the worst news.

I went from thinking "Kravtsov is a 2nd/3rd steal" to "late 1st steal" to "this guy probably won't make it past 10" in like 4 months.

Guess it's time for me to find a new draft steal late in the 1st.
One of my 1st round wants being Fillip Hallander with a knee injury could lessen his stock.

Reactions: 4thline and Morgs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Unranked board right now (no particular order).

Wilde
Kravtsov
Lunderstrom
Denisenko
Thomas
Wise
Miller
Samuelsson
Dellandrea
Woo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I know he's very hated around here, but I thought this was pretty interesting:

It's not really anything new. I think most people admit that he knows how to rack up points, especially assists. Pretty sure that and his skating is the only thing that would put him anywhere near the top 3 rounds, if drafted at all.

On a separate note, nice to see Kral doing well. I thought he was someone worth a 3rd or 4th round pick to help us get some more defensive depth. Can play both sides and acclimated to the CHL very quickly after coming over from the Czech Republic.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's not really anything new. I think most people admit that he knows how to rack up points, especially assists. Pretty sure that and his skating is the only thing that would put him anywhere near the top 3 rounds, if drafted at all.

Exactly. Gifted offensively. He's either going to be one of the best offensive D taken in this draft, or a complete bust, with very little ground in between. The probabilities lean towards bust...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pretty balanced report on him.

Ryan Merkley Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #18 - Last Word on Hockey

Offensive Game

Merkley has the skating and passing skill to start the transition game. He is a talented puck handler who can carry the puck out of his own end and lead the transition game. Merkley is also able to make a long home-run pass in transition. He can also quarterback the play from the point. Merkley has great vision and passing skill. He can thread tape-to-tape passes through tight areas, and set up teammates for scoring chances.
Merkley also has an excellent point shot and loves to let it go from the point. His slap shot is powerful and accurate; and his wrist and snap shots also have quick releases. Merkley has a knack for opening up shooting lanes and getting his shot on net through traffic. He also keeps his shots low, allowing teammates to set up screens, get tip-ins, and pounce on rebounds.
Defensive Game

Merkley’s defensive game is the big question mark. He must get stronger, as well as improve his positioning and decision making in the defensive end. Most concerning is the fact that he does not seem to show the same intensity in the defensive end that he does in the offensive end. He can appear to cheat at times, trying to generate offence. Other times he has the “controller disconnected” moments, where he seems to be watching the play happen instead of being involved. Coaching this out of him will need to be a priority for his NHL club.
Projection and Comparison

The offensive game and the skating make Merkley an intriguing prospect. He is very much a boom or bust prospect. The skills to be a number one defenseman are there. However, attitude issues and his defensive lapses must be considered real red flags. The team that takes Merkley could be getting a real steal, or they could be wasting a first round pick. In terms of playing style

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
I know he's very hated around here, but I thought this was pretty interesting:

Wow, thats at 5v5 as well. That is impressive. Even with his is defensive woes, he still has a better differential. As long as his office issues can be dealt with, this chart definitely makes him seem like a great pick for the Leafs.

edit: OOHHH wait I take it back, the axises were not assists for/against. I misread. I would be interested in some quantified metric for his defensive play. Still an interesting prospect as his offensive blows everyone out of the water.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Exactly. Gifted offensively. He's either going to be one of the best offensive D taken in this draft, or a complete bust, with very little ground in between. The probabilities lean towards bust...

And we have no reason to take that gamble. We have young offensive d already. Rielly was an offensive dman until he learned to play better 2way d but he still got his 1st 50 point season this year. Gardiner same thing but I don’t think will be here as long. Liljegren on the marlies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And we have no reason to take that gamble. We have young offensive d already. Rielly was an offensive dman until he learned to play better 2way d but he still got his 1st 50 point season this year. Gardiner same thing but I don’t think will be here as long. Liljegren on the marlies.

I'd consider using the #52 pick for him, our second round pick from San Jose. I most certainly wouldn't the first.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd consider using the #52 pick for him, our second round pick from San Jose. I most certainly wouldn't the first.

Yeah maybe. I just really don’t like anything I read about him. We got grundstrom with a pick 57 and Bracco at 61 (2nd round was extended by 1 pick that year) I think we will find better than a head case there

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah maybe. I just really don’t like anything I read about him. We got grundstrom with a pick 57 and Bracco at 61 (2nd round was extended by 1 pick that year) I think we will find better than a head case there

Exactly... guys who typically project to third liners if they make it. Bracco is no guarantee, and even if he makes it, might be a middle six guy at best. Merkley.. if somehow he makes it, is going to be elite offensively. Even if you assign a 10% chance of such an event happening... it might be worth the risk at that pick. I mean, we drafted Freddy the Goat in the first round... LOL

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Exactly... guys who typically project to third liners if they make it. Bracco is no guarantee, and even if he makes it, might be a middle six guy at best. Merkley.. if somehow he makes it, is going to be elite offensively. Even if you assign a 10% chance of such an event happening... it might be worth the risk at that pick. I mean, we drafted Freddy the Goat in the first round... LOL
I think you're low on both Bracco & Grundstrom's ceiling projections. Bracco was talked about as a potential 1st rounder in his year because of the upside, well into 1st line territory as something like a poor man's Marner...Zuccarello is a comparison that I've seen made quite a bit. Grundstrom I've seen Dustin Brown mentioned for upside on a number of occasions - might be a shorter peak like Brown had because of play style, but better than middle 6 in both best case scenarios. Bracco might be a bit of a long shot, less so than coming into this season though

I agree on Merkley, if a guy with that upside is there with the 2nd round pick, take a swing. That's exactly what the Bracco pick was though

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Rasmus Sandin looks a little interesting. Its just his first year on North American ice and he's near point per game all the while drawing Duncan Keith comparisons. Now the team he's on, the Greyhounds, are atop the OHL in scoring, and has 3 really, really good defensemen... All of this means that his numbers might be a little over-inflated. But at the same time, Dubas has close ties with this team and Travis Dermott had a similar story leading up to the draft. He might be available where we're picking, and could be an interesting add to the pool, albeit as a left-shot defenseman.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
So if people are convinced that Merkley won't cut it defensively (I am cutting the attitude questions out here), what are thoughts on him converting to winger?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Hasn't he been falling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->