Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
His skating doesn't seem to be close to the same stratosphere as Barzal's though and that's where the comparison ends for me. I think Barzal can cut it as a center because of his skating and ability to cover so much ground.....his skating is absolutely elite (particularly his edges). I'm not sold Akil has that...or even marginally close to that level of skating.

Really? I was going to argue that's the only area that the comparison fits. Barzal has better edges, but on pure speed Thomas is one of the best in this draft. It's everything else where the comp falls apart for me. Thomas does not have Barzal's puck skills imo. Maybe the guy is making the comp thinking: small, fast skating, pass first centre. But even the centre part might not be true of Thomas.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I’m going to see Jacob Bernard-Docker if there is a game 7 in Okotoks, and if not, I will see him in the AJHL finals next week(end). Will give you guys the full scouting report shift by shift :)

Awesome. He's putting up nice numbers and the scouting report sounds very intriguing. He's on my board for the 2nd/3rd.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Really? I was going to argue that's the only area that the comparison fits. Barzal has better edges, but on pure speed Thomas is one of the best in this draft. It's everything else where the comp falls apart for me. Thomas does not have Barzal's puck skills imo. Maybe the guy is making the comp thinking: small, fast skating, pass first centre. But even the centre part might not be true of Thomas.

Perhaps, I just don't get that vibe watching Thomas. Barzal's definitely an elite skater even at the NHL level. He genuinely has some of the best edges, right now, among NHL players. Barzal's skating might be his strongest asset to me, out of his entire repertoire. I think when you judge skaters you have to consider a number of facets, top end speed is important but some of the absolutely best skaters can generate speed, space, etc. turning or maneuvering around incredibly tight corners...that's why McDavid is the best skater in the league right now, to me, no one can generate the type of speed he does off finite areas of space as well as he can, particularly turning corners...he actually actively accelerates on them. It's crazy stuff.

If we can grab one of these with our 1st, I would be ecstatic.

Rasmus Sandin
Jett Woo
K'Andre MIller
Rasmus Kupari
Ty Dellandrea

All would be great picks, though Dellandrea might have minimal chance to drop to our 2nd...Not likely

Dellandrea will be interesting to watch among the U18 guys. I think his game screams NHL projection and he should be a 1st rounder.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Perhaps, I just don't get that vibe watching Thomas. Barzal's definitely an elite skater even at the NHL level. He genuinely has some of the best edges, right now, among NHL players. Barzal's skating might be his strongest asset to me, out of his entire repertoire. I think when you judge skaters you have to consider a number of facets, top end speed is important but some of the absolutely best skaters can generate speed, space, etc. turning or maneuvering around incredibly tight corners...that's why McDavid is the best skater in the league right now, to me, no one can generate the type of speed he does off finite areas of space as well as he can, particularly turning corners...he actually actively accelerates on them. It's crazy stuff.

Dellandrea will be interesting to watch among the U18 guys. I think his game screams NHL projection and he should be a 1st rounder.
I like Dellandrea too. I'm looking for a big tournament from him as well as Jonny Tychonick. With his skating and being on the big ice, he should flourish. He has a lot of momentum going for him....putting up huge numbers in the playoffs. If he was a RHD, I'm sure he would be talked about a little bit more and the comparisons to Cale Makar would be thrown around a little bit more.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I think Barzal's skating really improved since he's been drafted too. At the same stage of their careers, I think they're similar. When I said Thomas has Barzal-lite vibes, I wasn't saying he'll be as good as Barzal. I was indicating they're both good, quick, playmaking centermen that could be a high value pick.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I like Dellandrea too. I'm looking for a big tournament from him as well as Jonny Tychonick. With his skating and being on the big ice, he should flourish. He has a lot of momentum going for him....putting up huge numbers in the playoffs. If he was a RHD, I'm sure he would be talked about a little bit more and the comparisons to Cale Makar would be thrown around a little bit more.

I've seen a few shift-by-shift vids of Tychonick and I wasn't really that impressed. It was just two games worth but these were my impressions.

He's really scrawny. Like he looks 14 years old scrawny. He's a bit of a rover on offense and I didn't like how as a defenseman he was often one of the last guys back on one of his rushes. More of a passer than shooter. His reads on defense could use some work as he was often caught puck watching.

Offensively at least I don't think he's comparable to Makar other than skating. Makar had much better offensive instincts and a better shot. Much better skater too, though it's hard to judge without seeing them on the ice together.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I've seen a few shift-by-shift vids of Tychonick and I wasn't really that impressed. It was just two games worth but these were my impressions.

He's really scrawny. Like he looks 14 years old scrawny. He's a bit of a rover on offense and I didn't like how as a defenseman he was often one of the last guys back on one of his rushes. More of a passer than shooter. His reads on defense could use some work as he was often caught puck watching.

Offensively at least I don't think he's comparable to Makar other than skating. Makar had much better offensive instincts and a better shot. Much better skater too, though it's hard to judge without seeing them on the ice together.
I think we will get to see how Tychonick has improved in the past year. Most of the vids of Tychonick are from 2016-17. I am looking forward to him playing with better quality teammates. I think he has been guilty of trying to do too much. The U18's will boost some players stock and others will see their's fall. Really looking forward to it.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think we will get to see how Tychonick has improved in the past year. Most of the vids of Tychonick are from 2016-17. I am looking forward to him playing with better quality teammates. I think he has been guilty of trying to do too much. The U18's will boost some players stock and others will see their's fall. Really looking forward to it.

Agreed. There's a few guys I'm looking forward to checking out.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
My sleeper goalie pick. Good size (6'5"), decent numbers and from all accounts, technically sound. Chosen 6th overall in the KHL draft. Undrafted last year in the 2017 NHL draft. Had offers to go back to Europe but chose the USHL so he could face more shots and get better. Ranked 12 among NA goalies by central scouting. I wouldn't hesitate using a 7th round pick.
Ivan Prosvetov

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Would you be happy, sad, or just OK with management taking this approach at the upcoming draft? Meaning that in the absence of an obvious bpa, Leafs drafted a left wing talent to help replace JvR (likely gone this summer) and Marleau (gone in 2 seasons max)?

I feel it would be a smart move considering how stacked/young the right side is (Marner, Kapanen, Brown), and that I believe in nylander as a Center (Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Aaltonen) from what Willy showed this season, meaning those two positions are locked down entirely for the long term. Conversely, the left side has Hyman (not a true 1st line LW) and maybe Grundstrom in the future (most don’t believe in Leivo/Timashov as long term solutions).

So if fortune smiles again and LW Denisenko (MHL) is still on the board when pick #23 rolls around, would you guys be happy with that pick? And a big 6’ tall LW like Phillip Kurashev (59GP 60Pts QMJHL) in the second round?

Great thing about picking wingers is many of them are NHL ready in 12-18 months and can join the Leafs core, unlike a Dman picked outside the top 20, who we might not see for 5 years or so.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Would you be happy, sad, or just OK with management taking this approach at the upcoming draft? Meaning that in the absence of an obvious bpa, Leafs drafted a left wing talent to help replace JvR (likely gone this summer) and Marleau (gone in 2 seasons max)?

I feel it would be a smart move considering how stacked/young the right side is (Marner, Kapanen, Brown), and that I believe in nylander as a Center (Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Aaltonen) from what Willy showed this season, meaning those two positions are locked down entirely for the long term. Conversely, the left side has Hyman (not a true 1st line LW) and maybe Grundstrom in the future (most don’t believe in Leivo/Timashov as long term solutions).

So if fortune smiles again and LW Denisenko (MHL) is still on the board when pick #23 rolls around, would you guys be happy with that pick? And a big 6’ tall LW like Phillip Kurashev (59GP 60Pts QMJHL) in the second round?

Great thing about picking wingers is many of them are NHL ready in 12-18 months and can join the Leafs core, unlike a Dman picked outside the top 20, who we might not see for 5 years or so.

We have Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Timashov, Brooks and Dzierkals who could turn into top 6 forwards on the left side. Obviously, they're not all going to pan out, but I'd still rather go C-RD-LD-RW before looking LW, all else being equal.

You can always move a C to the wing, and our prospect depth down the middle is probably our weakest point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Pick the best player. If that LWer is Denisenko or Kravtsov (a left shooting RWer) I'll be ecstatic. If its a reach to fill a need like Kurashev, I wouldn't be that happy.

I think the best value that could be around when we pick will be on D or one of the two Russians.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the best value that could be around when we pick will be on D or one of the two Russians.

My Wants/Preference (Left to Right within Tier)

Tier 1 : Kravtsov/Wise/Hallander/
Tier 2: Samuelsson/Miller
Tier 3: Lundqvist/Denisenko/Berggren/Dellandrea/Woo

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Pick the best player. If that LWer is Denisenko or Kravtsov (a left shooting RWer) I'll be ecstatic. If its a reach to fill a need like Kurashev, I wouldn't be that happy.

Agree with your post. Kurashev I like but not until the 2nd round. If someone grabs him as late as the 3rd it could be a steal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My Wants/Preference (Left to Right within Tier)

Tier 1 : Kravtsov/Wise/Hallander/
Tier 2: Samuelsson/Miller
Tier 3: Lundqvist/Denisenko/Berggren/Dellandrea/Woo
I have Denisenko clearly in tier one. I haven't been sold on Hallander from what I've seen. Seems more like a 3rd liner than a top 6 guy. I don't know what to make of Wise. Denisenko and Hallander looked a world apart when I've seen them at the same events.

I'm fine with a safer pick if we are targetting D, but I think at forward we need to go high upside considering the depth that is already on our NHL roster and in the prospect pool.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I have Denisenko clearly in tier one. I haven't been sold on Hallander from what I've seen. Seems more like a 3rd liner than a top 6 guy. I don't know what to make of Wise. Denisenko and Hallander looked a world apart when I've seen them at the same events.

I'm fine with a safer pick if we are targetting D, but I think at forward we need to go high upside considering the depth that is already on our NHL roster and in the prospect pool.

I agree that Denisenko is the visually more impressive player. My worry with him comes from a Dzierkals ish vibe, where the combo of all world speed + skill + fire just doesn't add up to the results it should. Whereas with Hallander there isn't the same flashiness, but a guy that has a great steak to sizzle ratio and gets the job done against men a Forsberg lite/ Steen type

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree that Denisenko is the visually more impressive player. My worry with him comes from a Dzierkals ish vibe, where the combo of all world speed + skill + fire just doesn't add up to the results it should. Whereas with Hallander there isn't the same flashiness, but a guy that has a great steak to sizzle ratio and gets the job done against men a Forsberg lite/ Steen type
True, I see Hallander more as a checker at the NHL level or a complimentary guy on a higher line. I'm not sure he's like Forsberg and Steen, he seems more reliant on his speed and countering that those 2, who have very strong cycle games.

I don't get Dzierkals vibes at all from Denisenko. Denisenko sees the game at a way higher level, with the ability to see and make passes Dzierkals simply can't. Whenever Denisenko has had decent linemates he looks elite. I feel he's a guy players have trouble reacting to at times and he makes NHL level passes that lower level players can't capitalize on. Its not quite Marner level, but Marner would have similar issues with lesser line-mates adapting to him and just not expecting the passes he makes. No one under-18 is really putting up elite numbers in the MHL this year and everyone I've talked to who has watched the MHL has told me he's getting snake-bitten. At the WJAC and 5 Nations he was a top 5 player at both events. Any time you get a guy with his raw tools combined with hockey-IQ and vision I'm going to gamble on that in the 20's if he's there.

I thought Olofsson and Hallander both looked sub-par at 5 nations and were a significant reason for Sweden's poor showing. So, I'm curious to see how they bounce back at the U-18's.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We have Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Timashov, Brooks and Dzierkals who could turn into top 6 forwards on the left side. Obviously, they're not all going to pan out, but I'd still rather go C-RD-LD-RW before looking LW, all else being equal.

You can always move a C to the wing, and our prospect depth down the middle is probably our weakest point.

kapanen hasn't played a ton at LW, a little bit for the marlies. I hope they try him in JVR's spot next season tbh and johnsson get a full season 4th line LW with komarov gone. Korshkov although left handed has never played LW according the the Russian prospect poster who comes in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->