5(149) Filip Kral, D
6(156) Pontus Holmberg, RW
7(209) Zach Bouthillier, G
7(211) Semyon Kizimov, RW

Like it position wise.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Not a big fan of this draft. I feel like we just bought a bunch of lotto tickets. We’ll be lucky to see 2 NHLers from this group imo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
- Loved the Sandin pick.
- Not a fan of Durzi given what else is there. I'm against him more than most, but 52 is still a reach. Would have taken a number of guys over him, and I'm not even going to bother listing them.
- I like SDA's upside, but I question his skill as a center and whether he'll become anything in the NHL. Easily would have taken Lauko and McLaughlin over him, but it's not really a reach either. The main thing with our 3rd round picks is just that there were guys who dropped who I liked a lot more at those spots.
- Stotts was okay. I liked a few guys better than him, but if he was the "reach" pick of the draft, we would have been in great shape.
- Hollowell was not a draftable prospect IMO. Taking him in the 4th over a number of better prospects was a mistake, and this is coming from a guy who has seen him a fair number of times. Like I said, his upside is Connor Carrick, and even then I would be surprised to see him get that far.
- Kral was easily the second best value pick. He had 3rd round talent. Now he needs to develop his defensive IQ a little bit, but he also had to come over to the NA for the first time this year had a lot to do with that. I do not think he had positioning problems as much as having trouble with the smaller ice and having less time to make decisions with the puck in his own end. More experience should iron that out, and given he has great puck skills and hockey IQ otherwise, these are the types of Dubas picks I was expecting. I would not be shocked if he turns out far better than Hollowell and Durzi in the end.
- I'll trust the Holmberg pick. Bergman is great, and he at least meets Dubas' MO. Maybe there were other guys who were more known, but by the 6th round most of the high end guys were selected.
- Bouthillier was a waste of a pick IMO. Scott and Woll are better and I think both get ELC's, which makes me question where Bouthillier will fit. He would be a decent option if we were desperate, but we were not. I do not believe the narriative that you need a goalie every year, especially when there are not many good ones this year and you do not get to keep them for very long. Should have spent it elsewhere and targeted a goalie or two next year once you know what you have in Woll and Scott for sure.
- Don't know anything about Kizimov. Would have taken a dropper over him, but he has control at least, and there are only three other guys I liked better than him who were drafted afterwards so we could easily just offer those guys a spot at development camp to compete now.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How I'd order our best to worst picks:

1. Kral
  2. Sandin
  3. Stotts
  4. SDA
  5. Durzi
  6. Holmberg
  7. Bouthillier
  8. Kisimov
  9. Hollowell

1. I think this pick gave us the best value for where we picked, and I can see this guy being an NHL player. Underlying numbers are great.
2. Good pick, very Dermott-y, would have preferred Bokk or another trade back but I think he's better than Veleno.
3. A very likely NHL player, seems like a safe bet to make it to me.
4. I feel this pick was a reach, probably could have gotten him with our fourth however if he makes it he will be great IMO. Just needs more muscle.
5. Good numbers, I've watched him and can comfortably say he's a solid pick however he is so far down because of the players that were available and I feel we only picked him for need.
6. I like throwing this dart, pick from our Swedish scout and he'll play SHL next year.
7. I like that we took a goalie with one of two sevenths, however he isn't a great goalie prospect and Moskal, Dunkley, and Eggenberger were all still there.
8. Would have preferred someone I knew, and he is only an MHL guy however I mostly only have him so low because I don't know enough about him, I'm sure others could make me move his placing around.
9. This pick just doesn't feel right to me, I'm hoping he proves me wrong and is like a Mete type, but I need him in the A next year because I really feel this was a very sub-par pick. Hits me the same way the Mattinen pick did.

Overall, I think the depth of this class is better than the depth from 2017 for us (liljegren is the only guy I love)

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hollowell is the only pick of this draft i'm openly against and can't understand; wasted pick as far as i'm concerned.

Durzi is a fine 2nd round pick, not much of a reach and fits an organizational need at the same time. Legitimate offensive upside, good size, and passable skating ability that will allow him to be useful at the AHL level next season. Hopefully they make room for him on that blue line because its quite crowded right now.

SDA was a savvy pick, especially considering a guy like Pronman had him as a 1st round pick, and Wheeler had him in the 40s-50s I think. Youngest player in the draft, born on the cut-off date, so if you look at his numbers from a D-1 perspective, they're actually quite impressive for a guy playing on a weak OHL team. Certainly has next level puck skills and passes the eye test.

Haven't seen Holmberg play once but i'm excited for him solely because its a Bergman pick and the team wanted him bad enough to trade up into the 6th. Looks like a sleeper.

Kral looks like one of the best value picks of Toronto's draft. Great advanced numbers (esp. neutral zone defending), nice size, and impressive tools coming out of the Dub. Needs to work on his controlled exits but nevertheless, that's the type of pick you like to see late.

The rest are meh and time will tell with them.

Overall, i'd give this draft a B, but fortunately there were almost no terrible off the board picks or blatantly obvious bust picks aside from maybe Hollowell.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Have people watched Hollowel much? For one, he is only a Draft +1 (has a late birthday), so his offensive output is impressive.

When I watched the Soo he was driving play extremely well - accurate stretch passes and can rush the puck very well too. He is also a fierce competitor who will take it to anyone on the ice.

I can umderstand being higher on other players, but this is not a wasted pick and not really comparable to Mattinen. He is younger than Mattinen and already better.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Have people watched Hollowel much? For one, he is only a Draft +1 (has a late birthday), so his offensive output is impressive.

When I watched the Soo he was driving play extremely well - accurate stretch passes and can rush the puck very well too. He is also a fierce competitor who will take it to anyone on the ice.

I can umderstand being higher on other players, but this is not a wasted pick and not really comparable to Mattinen. He is younger than Mattinen and already better.

That's why he reminds me of Carrick. But as an upside, that's not that great. Carrick himself is having trouble cracking a lineup that does not exaclty have the most RD depth in the world.

Hollowell is behind Liljegren, Rasanen, Durzi, Kral, Rosen (if he moves over) and Lindgren on the RD prospect chart. That only puts him ahead of injured 7th round pick Ryan O'Connell. He might have been ahead of Mattinen had he stuck around as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Top 5 guys I have left on my board:
1) RW Vladislav Kotkov - 2nd round grade
2) C Luka Burzan - 3rd round grade
3) C Chase Wouters - 3rd round grade
4) C Ivan Muranov - 3rd round grade
5) RW Michal Kvasnica - 3rd round grade

I have probably another 10 guys with a 4th round grade as well. After that, I was not overly impressed with what was out there. Most of the 5-7 guys had some good tools and IQ, but I would not have been shocked to see them passed over either.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Disappointed at no Wise or Hallander in the 2nd, but Durzi is a fine substitute. It was a fine draft that will be exciting to follow. It be nice to have non-AHL prospects turning heads again. The forward group seems to have tremendous upside for their draft positions.

Side note- if given these names without their draft slots and left to assume where we got them I think the board would be much more receptive to this group of players. That is to say- it's a nice crop, now that they're in the system the order doesn't matter

eg-
29- Sandin
52-Durzi
76-Kral
83-Stotts
118-SDA
149-Kizimov - (Russian darkhorse with 3 in 3 at the U18's, only 4 less points than Denisenko)
156- Holmberg- Bergman special
209- Hollowell overage undersized offensive Dman hail mary
2011- Bouthillier

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lol, you have a single shred of evidence to support this?

I mean you realize the entire scouting group, is essentially the same from last two drafts, minus one guy...

I don't know first hand. I'm going by what was reported in the mainstream media. Judging by the fact that he took two guys from the Soo, makes me think the story is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->