Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
omg what?

well they are talking before the detroit pick is made not after, and the start of the discussion is cut off. logically before the detroit pick you are speculating on what detroit will do, and logically these guys already know who they like better between zadina and quinn themselves so they have no need to ask each other that question.

also weisbrod and everyone else from the canucks obviously go up for the canucks first pick, so "if quinn is picked i'd like to go up" is a weird comment and it is made before the detroit pick. it's possible he's asking benning if he can announce the canuck pick i guess, but i think they'd edit that out given benning announced it. so i think he was going to go up and shake hands with quinn if detroit took him given their connection.

Reactions: sting101

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
W
9b653f7798c559fe7aaef42b9ac268f4.jpg
Wait whats with your avatar Zombie???

Reactions: lawrence

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Really interesting hearing Brackett pretty much nixing any CHL goaltenders late in the draft. I'd argue that there have been at least a small handful of others that have "worked out" well enough, but he does have a point in that none of them are real home runs as bonafide star #1 goaltenders. Though wasn't Murray grabbed with a 3rd...same as we grabbed DiPietro out of the CHL? :huh:

It's not a bad philosophy though. College-bound goaltenders have a lot of time and opportunity to develop, which is certainly handy for a later round project goaltender. It seems to actually kinda tie in with the rest of what they did at this draft, really swinging for a lot of "upside" with later picks. Kind of a shift from some of what this organization has done in the past.

Yeah to me this is super interesting as well. Brackett is definitely driving the bus here (as far as the draft goes) and I don't think the organization has ever put this much emphasis on pure skill and speed before. I like it because it shows a singular focus on what has been a good philosophy for success in today's NHL.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fairly boring video, but in this case that's a good thing. I think the trade they made was good, and they were correct to turn down the other trade offers that we were given information on.

Nothing else at all of interest to me.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Brackett looked stressed entire time, seems like this is the day he has his game face on. He didn't even care for that Tavares play that made Benning/Weisbrod act like high school girls.

Brackett should be stressed as an entire years worth of his and his scouting staffs work comes down to making 6 picks in the span of a maybe 4 hours.Guy has to be laser focused on getting the right mix of the right players depending who's on the board.

And yeah,those trade down offers by St Louis and LA were junk and I'm glad management passed on both of them.I like the Washington one,nice to start off the year with at least one extra pick,hopefully there's more coming.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fairly boring video, but in this case that's a good thing. I think the trade they made was good, and they were correct to turn down the other trade offers that we were given information on.

Nothing else at all of interest to me.

I think does offer some valuable insight such as Hughes, Woo, and Madden were very much Brackett picks as well.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Watching this video has me convinced that Brackett has more brain cells then Benning and Weisbrod combined.
I would totally promote Brackett to Gm.

Brackett is doing really good work with the scouting dept,certainly the best we've seen for this team in ages so to move him out of there and into another role would be a bad move,IMO,especially in the middle of a rebuild.This is a critical time for for the organization to restock the team for the future and we need someone like Brackett who can run the show effectively.

What we need for a GM is someone who can negotiate trades much better and acquire additional picks as well as being able to manage the cap effectively.Both of which Benning has proven to be sub par at and Wisebrod isn't much help at either one as well.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think does offer some valuable insight such as Hughes, Woo, and Madden were very much Brackett picks as well.
I'd say that Hughes was' across the board' an organizational favourite,but there is enough evidence on the video to suggest that Woo and Madden were high on Bracketts personal priority list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad