GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I wonder how Calgary thinks they’re going to get more out of them with the exact same coach they’ve had the past few years. What is Peters going to do so differently there?

Well, he will be coaching in a Genuine Canadian Hockey Market (tm), so he's automatically better than he ever would have been while stuck in NASCARville. :sarcasm:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Given his age, how long do the jackets hold his rights? Isn't there a hard cutoff date where he becomes a UFA if he doesn't sign?

Just a really weird situation in general.

20 or older drafted from club outside NA - > Through and including the 2nd June 1st after the Draft, after which he's Draft-related UFA (but subject to Entry-level system).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Overall, I'd give our draft a solid B.

Svechnikov was a great, but no-brainer pick.

Drury is a perfect 2nd rounder w/some offensive upside and he plays with attitude. He'll fit Roddy's team philosophy, methinks.

From there, I thought the Canes draft took a detour. I admit not knowing much about Luke Henman, but the two guys selected immediately after him, Allan McShane and Ryan O'Reilly are both rough cut gems offensively. If you wanted Henman, my guess is he's there for another round or 3.

I like the Lenni Killinen pick. It means our Finnish pipeline is at least intact. He's a bigger guy and one who moved up in level during the season and didn't see his production suffer. Even so, I don't know how this team doesn't take a flyer on Tyler Weiss with one of the two 4th rounders. That's a PR fail.

The next two picks were throw aways in my opinion. There were a number of other defenders that I think might have been better options to Sellgren, but what do I know. The big goalie, Kucharski, while having bad stats, is apparently very athletic and he was playing on a pretty horrible Des Moines team. He is, however, off to Providence College and that very good program.

And what happened to our 2nd 7th rounder....

So all in all, I see 3 good picks, 1 bad one, and two wildcards.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
From what I understand, St. Louis thought they had multiple deals done last night only to have them pulled at the last minute. I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of them. I honestly think it comes down to GMs being terrified to make a mistake. We're not going to get better doing the absolute minimum.

Obviously is a little late now that we did make a big move. But this logic is just plain wrong. Chevy was nearly shot and pissed on for being overly patient and doing minimum moves. Guess what, Winnipeg just kicked ass and is set up long term to keep kicking ass, now he's a hero. Buffalo tried to shortcut a rebuild by trading for a great C in ROR. It didn't do f*** all for them. Same for Edmonton trading away a Hart winner. Or hell, the Canes missing Andrew Ladds prime on another team once Ruutu was too banged up to play. Or the Isles trading for Yashin. It didn't f***ing work

Doing the minimum is looked at as the easy way out. But it's not. Making a trade is the easy way, because it can go terribly and you f*** over your team for 8 years, but hey, at least you can put your arms up and say "I tried." Not making a move, doing something dumb is the tougher move, because eveyone will question your lack of action.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Surprised by Elynuik going undrafted again. Not so much by Carroll.
This puts Elynuik (and Carroll) in interesting position:

Having played in NA and being an unclaimed player of 20+ of age, he is now eligible to play in NHL if he signs (and registers) an SPC prior the commencement of the next League season [CBA 8.9(b)(i)];

But, not having been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts [CBA 8.4.(a)(ii)] and not qualifying for the exceptions in CBA 8.4(a)(iv) and (v) because of having been selected in a previous Entry Draft, unless he signs an SPC now he also is eligible to be selected in the next Entry Drafts until (if and when) he gets picked for the second time (or gets signed in the after-Draft window).

So if he keeps going undrafted, he's gonna be a strictly summertime UFA but otherwise ineligible to sign an SPC and play in the league from now on until he's 27 and a legit UFA (which will be in 2025).

Moral of the story: NHL really doesn't want you to screw over your drafting club.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Now to think of it, that must apply to Veini too. Should he not sign with CBJ, he becomes Draft-related UFA June 2nd, 2020 [CBA 8.6(d)] and can be signed to SPC, but if he's not signed by the Draft he'll be eligible in the 2020 Entry Draft, and if unclaimed, can be signed on to SPC before the 2020-21 season starts.

... which brings another whole new issue into it.

I may be magnificently wrong, but the CBA 8.4 about Draft eligibility really seems to say that if you get drafted once and fail to sign, you go into this weird limbo and are worse off than those people who didn't get drafted at all in their time, until you're drafted for 2nd time or manage to find a taker in the summer months.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad