GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I was picking for you guys in our Habs board mock draft, i didn't really know what your team needs were but regardless i always pick BPA, ended up with:

1(13): Joel Farabee
2(44): Jack McBain
3(75): Johnny Gruden
4(100): Nathan Dunkley
4(106): Linus Karlsson
5(137): Krystof Hrabik
6(168): Marc Del Gaizo
7(199): Jesper Sellgren

best of luck on draft day!

full mock: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-2018-edition-zaluty-is-on-the-clock.2460073/

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
This points out just how little I know of this class. Every other time I read about Dallas in the draft it ends up coming down to how much we're salivating over Veleno or how unrealistic it is to expect to get him.

AHS about Farabee, but it looks like he'd be taken sooner than we'd get that option.
~BPA, we'd still grab at a winger?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Ideal draft assuming R1 doesn’t go our way:

1. Vityaliy Kravtsov
2. Blade Jenkins
3. Nathan Dunkley
4. Semyon Der-Argunchintsev
5. Justin Bergeron
6. Nikolai Kovalenko
7. Matthew Grouchy

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Glad to hear Nill is chatting to the centres. I’ve warmed up to the idea of taking Hayton if Kotkaniemi/Veleno are off the board. Stats aren’t mind blowing, but apparently he was mostly used as a checking centre. Plus he’s one of the younger players available, so tons of room for growth.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Glad to hear Nill is chatting to the centres. I’ve warmed up to the idea of taking Hayton if Kotkaniemi/Veleno are off the board. Stats aren’t mind blowing, but apparently he was mostly used as a checking centre. Plus he’s one of the younger players available, so tons of room for growth.
His stats aren’t mind blowing but if you see the kid in a full game his puck protection and hands are pretty incredible he’s absolutely dominant in the corners every shift and given a bigger role next season he will have a lot more points .

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
His stats aren’t mind blowing but if you see the kid in a full game his puck protection and hands are pretty incredible he’s absolutely dominant in the corners every shift and given a bigger role next season he will have a lot more points .

I’ll have to go watch some tape on him. Keep hearing really good things. Sounds like the kind of player that we need.

Reactions: Bfantz

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

He reminds me a lot of a center version of Brett Ritchie. Big reason I'm not a fan of him

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He reminds me a lot of a center version of Brett Ritchie. Big reason I'm not a fan of him
There’s a lot more to like about Hayton . Ritchie’s a big strong power forward . Haytons definately much more of a playmaker /sniper and his much faster than Ritchie .When I say he’s strong on the puck and in the corners , I’m not saying he’s a power forward but he’s just got such good hands and skating ability it’s hard for teams to get the puck off him . He really controls the game and makes everyone around him better .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
There's a glut of players around our pick that I'd be happy taking and I recently added Noah Dobson to that list after the memorial cup

#recencybias

I think my #1 is Kotkaniemi but I don't think he'll be available.

Also if we don't draft Nathan Dunkley I'll be pissed. He's ranked consistently around the 3rd round but i would have no issue taking him in the 2nd

Reactions: Starry Knight

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
There's a glut of players around our pick that I'd be happy taking and I recently added Noah Dobson to that list after the memorial cup

#recencybias

I think my #1 is Kotkaniemi but I don't think he'll be available.

Also if we don't draft Nathan Dunkley I'll be pissed. He's ranked consistently around the 3rd round but i would have no issue taking him in the 2nd

I've seen Dunkley ranked even lower than the 3rd round a number of times. I agree that he's second round talent.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What secret do you guys know about him that the folks who do this for a living don’t? And, have you submitted a resume to the Stars? They could use some good scouts..
Should nobody have an opinion about a player that differs from professional scouts ?

Reactions: Kcb12345

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Should nobody have an opinion about a player that differs from professional scouts ?
Wasn’t meant as an insult, was meant to be funny. The whole point of this place is opinion, yes?
I figured they must have a specific point of disagreement with his scouting report.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
What secret do you guys know about him that the folks who do this for a living don’t? And, have you submitted a resume to the Stars? They could use some good scouts..

Strong analytics relative to where scouts are ranking him. Was a huge factor in Kingston's scoring early in the season.

I'm surprised scouts don't have him higher. He's got a motor that you'd think traditional scouts would appreciate. Maybe it's a skating thing but idk

Reactions: eartotheground

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Strong analytics relative to where scouts are ranking him. Was a huge factor in Kingston's scoring early in the season.

I'm surprised scouts don't have him higher. He's got a motor that you'd think traditional scouts would appreciate. Maybe it's a skating thing but idk

Skating can usually be fixed. That’d be great if we can steal him late.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

The privilege of seeing Dunkley every game after his trade to the Knights is my credentials. High skill player that puts loads of effort in all three zones. Only knock I see is that he isn't an elite skate--as Satan alluded to.

Reactions: eartotheground

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not sure if this is the best thread, but.....

If you're local, I would definitely recommend attending at least the 2nd day of the draft. It'll start at 10am locally, so you wouldn't have to plan your whole day around going. Tickets would be easier to get and there's much fewer people who attend. Usually the Cup will be on display, so lines would be shorter as well. Definitely easier to have a quick chat with the various HOFers and/or to get photo opps with drafted players without the hoopla that accompanies the first round.

1st round is fun as well, but you do miss the commentary at times since the pacing is slow.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm starting to think Veleno is ranked so low because of how long scouts have been viewing him for. He made a pretty significant leap in play this year yet the rankings really haven't accounted for it.

Makes me think for sure. I hope we get him at 13.

Reactions: Morry83

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Feels like Nill will make some sort of trade at the draft, possibly for a top 6 winger. Instead of using the 1st rounder he could treat the fans to the acquisition of one of Skinner, Hoffman, or Pacioretty. Question is what other assets will we give up. Also feels like he may have an interest in moving up in it too though to get a higher pick...I feel like we won't be picking 13th overall come draft time

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Why keep trading picks for players? You build a team through the draft not picking up old/garbage players in free agency/trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad