GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The Islanders definitely won the first day. Getting Wahlstrom and Dobson at #11 and #12 was a steal.

Honorable mention to Detroit for Zadina and Valeno.

The Rangers did the least with the most - 3 picks in the first, but I didn't like any of their picks.

Buffalo walked away with the best player.

Arizona and San Jose took big risks that could really bite them.

Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unlike last season, I have no idea who I want want the Canucks to draft in the 2nd round. A lot of guys I had going in the first round went in the first round. Hope we draft a good one.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wow I forgot how unlikeable Burke is. Who thought that was a good idea to have him on tv for 3 straight hours?
I thought he was great..made me laugh a whole bunch of times...His insight was pretty spot on,he's been there many times,and had the inside track (he even knew that the Canucks would take Hughes.)..How often do get to hear an analyst call a player a 'bag of bones'.....Last couple of years,the draft on Sportsnet has been dull..I enjoyed it today.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
I thought he was great..made me laugh a whole bunch of times...His insight was pretty spot on,he's been there many times,and had the inside track (he even knew that the Canucks would take Hughes.)..How often do get to hear an analyst call a player a 'bag of bones'.....Last couple of years,the draft on Sportsnet has been dull..I enjoyed it today.
His commentary was interesting, to say the least.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Hopefully we can trade some vets for picks tomorrow. Tanev or Edler could probably return multiple picks for this year and next year. Also helps in our totally subtle plan to get Quinn's brother.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
3e7148f6fb4a73d269768eb5f3e53d52.png

haha

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Noel would be ideal. 6'5 beast winger to play with our skilled but smaller players like EP, Hughes .

But as mentioned, i dont think were drafting a winger

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I quite enjoyed Burke's analysis and commentary. He gave good insight of draft preparation and of things happening on the floor. He also was blunt and told you what he liked and didn't like rather than polishing a turd that we often see from the other reporters. Sure he might have a preference on bigger players but as a viewer you don't have to agree with him.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Hopefully we can trade some vets for picks tomorrow. Tanev or Edler could probably return multiple picks for this year and next year. Also helps in our totally subtle plan to get Quinn's brother.
For as long as i've been a Canucks fan (my whole life) Canucks have never been an organization to trade for draft picks and its always infuriated me

Reactions: y2kcanucks

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's insane that we only have 6 picks in this draft. Absolutely insane. Completely hampers our scouts and our flexibility during the draft.

How have we not been able to pick up even measly mid round picks? Even an extra late pick?

Instead we have mediocre waiver eligible junk in Goldobin and Motte, and for another year I expect us to cram out roster with junk that they won't even think about trading on a high note since they clearly want to be a playoff team and skip the proper rebuild process.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Foudy at 18 :(
Bokk at 25 :(
Sandin at 29 :(
Alexeyev at 31 :(

And I did not expect Joe Veleno to fall to 30

Foudy was a huge climber, I think they looked at Formenton in the WJC and just decided f*** it that's value we're happy with right now. Columbus doesn't pick again until 49 and he'd definitely be gone. I had Bokk around where Kaut went and Sandin and Alexeyev are right there in the final third of the first round. Despite the board being all over the place from 2 on the 1st was fairly consistent with most rankings. There are still going to be some very solid players available for us at 37. I mentioned Wise, Woo, and Thomas already, others have brought up Berggren, McCleod, and Noel (I am torn on him, I haven't seen enough of him and his shooting% stat is high in a scary way). Another player I forgot to mention is Adam Ginning, I have a really good feeling about him, despite not having much footage to go on. I really liked his combine results and his package, could be a player.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Islanders definitely won the first day. Getting Wahlstrom and Dobson at #11 and #12 was a steal.

Honorable mention to Detroit for Zadina and Valeno.

The Rangers did the least with the most - 3 picks in the first, but I didn't like any of their picks.

Buffalo walked away with the best player.

Arizona and San Jose took big risks that could really bite them.

I agree. Though I would say Detroit and the Islanders were co-winners of the first day. Detroit got an absolute steal with both picks.

Wahlstrom is going to be lethal next to Barzal, and Dobson alone could end up being better than what they had in Hamonic. A great haul for them.

Detroit gets a 1LW and a potential 1/2C today. I know they wanted a defenseman but obviously couldn't pass up the clear BPA's at both spots. Because they're actually a rebuilding team (not one that claims to be) they have 2 early picks coming up where they can address defense if they like.

I think the Rangers would be one of my losers for today. 3 first round picks and I wouldn't be all that thrilled with the potential they picked up. I do like Kravtsov, but not at 9. I do like Miller, but not at 22. And Lundqvist at 28 doesn't really stand out to me. I think they could have done a lot better with those picks. I also think Dellandrea at 13 was a bit of a stretch too. Hayton at 5 was definitely a reach. Merkley at 21 wasn't as much of a reach IMO. I had him pegged with the Rangers pick figuring they could afford to gamble on someone like that. Without a 2nd round pick, if he's a bust that could be very costly for the Sharks. But if he pans out, they got an absolute steal.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
David Gustafsson/Jonatan Berggren/Filip Hallander with our 37th and this draft would be just as good as last year with Pettersson/Lind

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like Jared McIsaac, Akil Thomas and Bode Wilde if any of them make it to #37

Not at all interested in McIsaac, and not really interested in Wilde. I would be targeting a C here most likely. Jake Wise or Akil Thomas. Possibly Ryan McLeod, but if the first two are gone I would probably look at Addison before McLeod. Breggren is interesting too if we'd go with a winger. Durzi interests me too, but 37 seems a bit high for him. Another spot where having extra picks would be nice.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Source? Hallander is there and so are a few other good wingers.

Rintoul : fair to say those are two areas youll be focusing on ( centres, dman)

Benning: ya thats fair thats a fair statrment

Benning was talking about how he isnt surprised that centres weny early because he expressed that they are hard to.find and hard to trade for.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Rintoul : fair to say those are two areas youll be focusing on ( centres, dman)

Benning: ya thats fair thats a fair statrment

Benning was talking about how he isnt surprised that centres weny early because he expressed that they are hard to.find and hard to trade for.

There's just too much value on the board with the remaining wingers. Hallander and Berggren are still there.

I guess if they go with Olofsson or Durzi? Shouldn't get tunnel vision at this point. The swedes will impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad