Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's fired. If Ken Holland wasn't brought back, the new GM would likely fire Jeff Blashill.
More directly, what exactly is on Tyler Wright's resume that makes retaining him a good move?

I see Larkin, a handful of players with the same warts they had on draft day, some prospects that may or may not be good, and...? In other words, nothing remarkable that screams, keep this guy.

Retaining a questionable coach at least makes sense from the standpoint that a bad roster never quit on him. But for big picture stuff, their scouts need an overhaul.

If this draft is a home run, they really could come away with 3-4 guys that make a difference in the next few years. That's so huge, but I just don't like the way this staff prioritizes - I hate to see the opportunity wasted.

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More directly, what exactly is on Tyler Wright's resume that makes retaining him a good move?

I see Larkin, a handful of players with the same warts they had on draft day, some prospects that may or may not be good, and...? In other words, nothing remarkable that screams, keep this guy.

I just hope Tyler Wright is the worst Scouting Director ever and because of him Red Wings are gonna suck for next 2 decades on your favor.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
No, this is fired:
https://nypost.com/2018/04/07/rangers-fire-coach-alain-vigneault/

Being offered a different position is not firing. Removed from current position, absolutely. However, when people are fired they aren’t offered different positions within the company.
It's like telling Ken Holland when he's still under contract that he can be anything in the organization, but he can't be the GM. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to say they wouldn't be firing Ken Holland there. He would be suddenly and surprisingly relieved of his duties as GM, he would no longer have a contract to be a GM with that team, and someone else would take his place. That's being fired.

And on top of that, if Holland said "well, can I be the assistant GM?" they would have told him no. The message is definitely "we no longer have a use for you in your current role (or any closely related role), which somebody else will be filling on a permanent basis." If that's not what firing is, then maybe firing is a lot less common than I realize.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just hope Tyler Wright is the worst Scouting Director ever and because of him Red Wings are gonna suck for next 2 decades on your favor.
I would hope that there's room for discussion in between not liking the scouting director and wanting the franchise to implode for twenty years. Or at least for not flying off the handle.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
It's like telling Ken Holland when he's still under contract that he can be anything in the organization, but he can't be the GM. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to say they wouldn't be firing Ken Holland there. He would be suddenly and surprisingly relieved of his duties as GM, he would no longer have a contract to be a GM with that team, and someone else would take his place. That's being fired.

And on top of that, if Holland said "well, can I be the assistant GM?" they would have told him no. The message is definitely "we no longer have a use for you in your current role (or any closely related role), which somebody else will be filling on a permanent basis." If that's not what firing is, then maybe firing is a lot less common than I realize.

I think you are doing the mental gymnastics to think some one is fired even though they still have a job. The term you are likely looking for is demoted. But we have no idea what job was offered to him. It could have been a promotion for all we know and he wanted to remain in the scouting area.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Anybody see this comment?
"I'd like to think you can see the makings of where we're going, the importance of some of the young players up front," Holland said. "Certainly we got to overhaul the defense going forward. Again, I think we started that a couple years ago. We took a first-round pick with Dennis Cholowski, he's playing really good out west; a second-round pick in (Filip) Hronek; we used another second-round pick in another year for (Gustav) Lindstrom. So we've got four picks in the top 31, 36-37 picks this year. So we're going to continue to add some young players going forward. But obviously we have to rebuild the team. It's going to take some time."
What I get out of that is Holland saying: we think we've got some good young forwards, but we need more defensemen. We're going to try to address that in this coming draft.

It certainly comes across as though the org is conscious of the fact that defense is a big problem for them, and something to work on at the draft. Could this mean they lean toward drafting a defenseman? Maybe.

Red Wings' Ilitch: Holland is right man to lead rebuilding process

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What I get out of that is Holland saying: we think we've got some good young forwards, but we need more defensemen. We're going to try to address that in this coming draft.

It certainly comes across as though the org is conscious of the fact that defense is a big problem for them, and something to work on at the draft. Could this mean they lean toward drafting a defenseman? Maybe.

Yes, at the bare minimum he acknowledged that the defense is old - hopefully in press conference speak that means the defense is shit. I got the feeling he was suggesting that D might be a priority this draft. I thought his overall message was on point with the reality of where the team is.

Edit: For whatever reason I didn't see the link you provided and thought you were talking about the end of season press conference. It totally sounds like they'll be targeting D this draft.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Retaining a questionable coach at least makes sense from the standpoint that a bad roster never quit on him. But for big picture stuff, their scouts need an overhaul.

If this draft is a home run, they really could come away with 3-4 guys that make a difference in the next few years. That's so huge, but I just don't like the way this staff prioritizes - I hate to see the opportunity wasted.

This staff picked big strong players one draft and everyone thinks their priorities are always on that. At least years draft they literally said they didnt like the skill players basically and decided to beef up/they will be focusing on more highly skilled guys. That was right out in the press for everyone to read.

As for not liking the players hes drafted, hes only been the head guy for 4 drafts. Given where the wings have picked, only seeing Larkin is still pretty solid. Thats not nearly enough time to actually get a good read on a scouting staff at all. You may be right and he may actually be terrible but hes had 4 drafts with the earlier ones picking 15-20th on average and in at least 2 of those drafts he didnt even have second round picks.

Right now I really like the Larkin draft, even if hes the only one that pans out. And I really like the way Cholowski and Hronek are developing. What else can you judge his drafting on in 4 years? No 6th round picks have turned into Datsyuk yet. Is he amazing? Possibly not but I dont think the sky is falling either

Reactions: BinCookin

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yes, at the bare minimum he acknowledged that the defense is old - hopefully in press conference speak that means the defense is ****. I got the feeling he was suggesting that D might be a priority this draft. I thought his overall message was on point with the reality of where the team is.

Edit: For whatever reason I didn't see the link you provided and thought you were talking about the end of season press conference. It totally sounds like they'll be targeting D this draft.
he also complain about scouts , and it is very important to draft right

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

They focused heavily on D the last couple of drafts. I definitely think we take a D with out top 10 unless we get the 2nd/3rd pick, and probably get another couple of D with the other picks.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
All they have to do this few and next is focus solely in dmen and centres with skill and upside

Wingers and goalies at this point are irrelevant outside of a top three pick of course

Wingers and goalies you can add easily later un draft, later years, via trade or through free agency.

This is how he should be judged

Two years and lots of picks.

If he can' get it right both men deserve to be fired

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What happened to McIsaac? I thought I remembered him being talked about as a top-end D prospect earlier in the year/last year, but it seems like he's not even someone we'd want with the Vegas pick? Maybe I'm just totally remembering wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What happened to McIsaac? I thought I remembered him being talked about as a top-end D prospect earlier in the year/last year, but it seems like he's not even someone we'd want with the Vegas pick? Maybe I'm just totally remembering wrong.

He's an interesting case. Halifax took him #2 overall so he had a lot of hype. Had a pretty good Hlinka tournament and started the year as a consensus top 10 guy. But he struggled to put up pts the first half of the season, and a bunch of guys like Dobson started to pass him. Actually finished the season decently well, but seems to be a guy in the 15-30 range now.

I like him with the Vegas pick and have suggested him as an option. Has good size, and good tools for a defenseman. But the lack of production is a little concerning, not sure how you don't put up a PPG on that high powered Halifax team.

Maybe he just needs some more time to put it all together. I did not like him as a top 10 guy, but I would like him in that 20-30 range. If he makes it that far. He kind of reminds me of Chabot, who Ottawa took a few years ago.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah he came into the year as a top 10 prospect. He just hasn't produced consistently this year. He seems to have every quality necessary for a #1D. He can contribute offensively, is defensively sound and physical. But he hasn't performed consistently this year and thus has dropped like a rock in the rankings. I'd be happy with him at Vegas's pick, but I don't know how to feel about him anymore.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

I was going to post him as my want in the thread about the Vegas pick, but I figured he wouldn't still be around by the time we are on the clock with Vegas' 1st round pick. Starting to sound like he could be around but his recent play might be causing teams to have second thoughts. I am high on him from what I've seen and read, but the people with far more insight on these prospects seem to be on the fence with him, which gives me cause for concern.

So in reading through what I've just written, I guess I am saying, "I have no clue what happened to McIsaac."

Reactions: njx9

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Well to be fair Larkin is an awesome pick. Top 5 in a re-draft material. Drafting is a long-term business and a pick like that definitely buys you some time. And it's not like there's nothing positive in terms of his other picks, even if maybe some are progressing a little slower than we had hoped.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
If Vegas is eliminated by LA, what is the probable # or range for the 1st rounder?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Just finished my part for the Wings in a 2 round mock draft.
Drafted:
#2 - Svechnikov
#29 - McIsaac
#33 - Khovanov
#36 - Alexeyev

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
If we pick Svechnikov at #2, is it logical/possible that Nyquist, Anthanasiou + picks are dealt for a defenseman or top 10 pick?

He's the only winger in the top 10 I want and as much as our top 6 would start to look formidable, we could start to milk some winger value to address the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->