Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Not that Norris voting is everything, but let's not leave out that Chelios had 408, Bourque had 403, and Leetch had 245. Vladdy was never really in the mix to win that one.

And unfortunately they didn't keep ATOI back then, so I can't produce exact numbers either way. But if the claim is that two defensemen were great at even strength, but on a team that set a record for regular season wins, one had more ice time due to being a monster on the PK, than the other who was a monster on the PP... That simply isn't logical.

How old were you in 96?
Do you remember 96? Do you remember Red Wings fans believing Vladdie got robbed of the Norris?

Red Wings fans weren't talking up Lidstrom as a Norris winner yet.
Lidstrom really didn't start getting that kind of appreciation until taking on the Legion of Doom in 97.
He was largely considered one dimensional.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
How old were you in 96?
Do you remember 96? Do you remember Red Wings fans believing Vladdie got robbed of the Norris?

Red Wings fans weren't talking up Lidstrom as a Norris winner yet.
Lidstrom really didn't start getting that kind of appreciation until taking on the Legion of Doom in 97.
He was largely considered one dimensional.

This is true, Vladdie was robbed. His numbers were very good, his +/- was insane, he was a beast. Loved watching him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How old were you in 96?
I'm sure there is a contingency from every fanbase that has a player nominated for an award that thinks they got robbed. That doesn't mean they should've won.

NHL James Norris Memorial Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

Look at the previous 10-12 winners. With the exception of the shortened lockout season, every single winner scored over 70 points. (And even in that one season, when Scott Stevens crushed people while helping the Devils win the Cup, they still gave the Norris to Paul Coffey, who was, by all accounts, allergic to defending.) So any objective fan thinking that this era of Norris voting was anything other than the "awesome scoring defenseman award" is simply in denial of what the award really was at the time. Vladdy never had a chance, no matter what his plus/minus was.

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Lidstrom and Konstantinov were great in the 90s, but they were always overshadowed due to guys like Bourque, Coffey, and Chelios still being in the league at the time.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Top 7 if prefer would be

1-Dahlin (no brainer)
2/3 Zadina/Svech (think zadina will be a better goal score but lil svech will be a better point producer)
4-Boqvist(Best potential besides Dahlin But risky)
5-Hughes(Amazing Skater- size doesn’t scare me off)
6- Bouchard( point totals are impressive)
7- Wahlstrom(great shot)

Tkachuk id take 8th but he isn’t a game breaking player imo. Hed be an amazing fit on a team where he’s not the go to guy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
here's my question for folks who follow the draft: if we get the third would their be interest in trading back to (for example) the sixth spot if we also picked up an early 2nd? The more I look at this draft, the more it seems like the guys after Dahlin and Svechnikov are largely an order of preference. If we're not super high on anyone at the third spot, would it be worth dealing down a few spots (literally)?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
here's my question for folks who follow the draft: if we get the third would their be interest in trading back to (for example) the sixth spot if we also picked up an early 2nd? The more I look at this draft, the more it seems like the guys after Dahlin and Svechnikov are largely an order of preference. If we're not super high on anyone at the third spot, would it be worth dealing down a few spots (literally)?
I would do it in a heartbeat, assuming I'm confident that a guy I wanted to draft was still there at 5-7. But I'm guessing they'll take the forward, instead of adding another pick and taking a defenseman.

I guess I'd only NOT do it, if I'm convinced that one defenseman (after Dahlin) is better than all the rest. Like if they think Boqvist is the next Karlsson, I'm not gonna be mad if they take him at 3. But this defense is so bad at helping the rush, I don't see Svech or Zadina, as good as they are, as being a bigger overall impact on building the roster.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I'm generally of the mindset of drafting as high as possible, but to me there is a drop-off at #1 (Dahlin) and another drop-off at #2 (Svech). The next group of guys in that 3-9ish range I think are pretty close this year.

If they want a defenseman, it's possible after Dahlin you see 3-4 forwards taken in a row. So you might be able to move back a bit and get either the #2 or #3 defenseman in this draft. At #6 you would have to reasonably think you could get one of Hughes, Dobson, or Bouchard. So it could pay off, but as always it matters how the draft shakes out.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Biggest thing for me is drafting a dman. I'd go 1. Dahlin, 2. Boqvist, 3. Hughes. Just my preference. Biggest concern would be dropping back and missing out on a guy like Hughes, who has really high skill level. If we're drafting in the top 3 we'll be fine regardless.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Biggest thing for me is drafting a dman. I'd go 1. Dahlin, 2. Boqvist, 3. Hughes. Just my preference. Biggest concern would be dropping back and missing out on a guy like Hughes, who has really high skill level. If we're drafting in the top 3 we'll be fine regardless.

If I'm right, I think our most proable draft position would be picking 5th. With our losing rate now, we probably will drop as down as 4th worst in the standings. Ottawa is trending up, but Vancouver is also losing a lot currently. Arizona and Buffalo will keep their positions.

Then for 4th worst team, most probable scenario is not to win the lottery for TOP3 picks and drop 1 position, when 1 team outside the TOP4 wins a TOP3 pick.

How does the ranks go with TOP5 players?

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I believe your probabilities are correct. Here are the top 5 at the moment, near as I can tell:

Dahlin
Svechnikov/Zadina
Zadina/Svechnikov
Boqvist
Tkachuk/Dobson

So if Detroit lands at #5, I'd be shocked if one of Boqvist or Dobson (or Hughes or Bouchard, if either of them are your guy) aren't there.

The next few rankings include Wahlstrom and the leftover defensemen I referenced.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
when is the lottery held? Some time in april or later? i have forgotten
I don't think they've released an official date, other than it will be during the playoffs.

However, last year, the playoffs started on Wednesday, 4/12, and the lottery was on Saturday, 4/29. This year, the playoffs start on Wednesday, 4/11, so I'd expect the 2018 lottery to be on Saturday, 4/28.

Reactions: TheMule93

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If I'm right, I think our most proable draft position would be picking 5th. With our losing rate now, we probably will drop as down as 4th worst in the standings. Ottawa is trending up, but Vancouver is also losing a lot currently. Arizona and Buffalo will keep their positions.

Then for 4th worst team, most probable scenario is not to win the lottery for TOP3 picks and drop 1 position, when 1 team outside the TOP4 wins a TOP3 pick.

Tkachuk or Boqvist. Generally not much displacement from the top 5, some people rank Tkachuk lower, shit some have him at 4.

Tkachuk is 5 in my top 10, I think he could be like a better Wayne Simmonds. Wayne's one of my favorites.

If we're there at 5 with Brady on the board, I reckon we go d.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The consensus top 5 seems to be most likely

1- Dahlin
2- Svechnikov
3- Zadina
4- Boqvist/Tkachuk
5- Boqvist/Tkachuk

Then you have a mix of Hughes, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson

Being the 4th worst team actually gives you the best odds of getting pick #6, for what it's worth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Custance thinks a defenseman is the most likely outcome for Detroit with a pick that will likely end up as a 5-8 pick. Specifically he mentioned Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson.

Thought he had some interesting quotes on Bouchard:

“He’s a dynamic defenseman,” said one Eastern Conference scout. “I’d be shocked if he gets out of the top five. Maybe other teams don’t see it that way. He’s going to end up having 90 points.” Said another talent evaluator: “I love this kid. The kid is a horse. He knows how to pace himself.”

So maybe not everyone thinks he has compete issues.

Custance: Sketching out a Red Wings draft plan for who to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->