Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm pretty convinced the Goalie pick will happen in the third round

not really based on anything other than gut feelings but it just feels really likely with them having 3 picks in the third after the four in the first/second

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Thanks for posting. A couple interesting tidbits:

Early on, Draper essentially admits they wanted Lias Andersson last year, until the Rangers traded for him. (And then is quick to follow up with saying how much they like Rasmussen.)

At the end, Finley states, "...the organizational need is defense and center, and there should be lots of good players at those positions in the first two rounds". Thumbs up to that.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

It only makes sense; Draper said he was confident that they would get their guy at #9. I don't think there was likely any amount of confidence that Mittelstadt would fall to 9, so it would have to be Andersson. And looking back at a brief scouting report of Andersson, it sounds oddly familiar...

"Andersson is an excellent team player. Never takes a shift off. Also blessed with good hockey sense and plays a strong two-way game. Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed. Has the tools to become a scoring line player, but could also become an excellent role player who always gives 100%. (EP 2017)"

Lias Andersson at eliteprospects.com

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What does that board say at around 6:20 when Hakan is speaking?

Looks like Dahlin then Boqvist.
Sure looks that way. Bouchard doesn't have any letters that hang down. But even if that's what it says, who knows when that was written - it could've been before anybody knew about the concussion issues, let alone before they spent time with Hughes or the Memorial Cup helped raise Dobson's stock.

Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Sure looks that way. Bouchard doesn't have any letters that hang down. But even if that's what it says, who knows when that was written - it could've been before anybody knew about the concussion issues, let alone before they spent time with Hughes or the Memorial Cup helped raise Dobson's stock.

True. I'm guessing it was just Swedish players or something too since Hakan.

At first I thought it was Dobson and Bouchard lol.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
“We have this challenge in front of us, and we don’t have any room for error,” Wright said. “I’ve challenged our (scouts) all year. As we sit down Friday night (for Round 1), it’s an exciting time. It starts through us, then we hand them off to player development. The sooner that we get these guys along, and into the program, the better off we’ll be.
“All I know is that at No. 6 we’re going to add a real good player to our program,” Wright said. “We’re going to get a really good, exciting player. How quick can he (help the Wings)?. We hope it’s early but at the end of the day, we want to make sure we maximize his development process and his potential to be the best player he can be.

Red Wings prep for critical draft: 'No room for error'

Am I the only one who reads that and thinks "Hmm, it sounds like they're going to draft really safely"? "No room for error" doesn't sound to me like they're going boom/bust. And "the sooner we get these guys along, the better"? So guys closer to the NHL?

I hope I'm reading that out of context, because that's kind of worrying.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Am I the only one who reads that and thinks "Hmm, it sounds like they're going to draft really safely"? "No room for error" doesn't sound to me like they're going boom/bust. And "the sooner we get these guys along, the better"? So guys closer to the NHL?

Screams Bouchard. Just like everything else.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd almost hope we could package up one of our 80's or 90 pick + AA for another shot in the top 35-48 if possible I think.

@Fire Ken Holland I hope it just means we don't draft under size or a winger since that part of our lineup isn't very needed.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

I think you are reading to much into it. Everyone is going to say there is no room for error with a top 10 pick. And the sooner someone can contribute the better, nobody wants to wait around long for a kid to be NHL ready. Boom/bust is not a thing with top 10 picks. If you draft a bust you have screwed up majorly

Reactions: DInTheB
Jul 30, 2005
I think you are reading to much into it. Everyone is going to say there is no room for error with a top 10 pick. And the sooner someone can contribute the better, nobody wants to wait around long for a kid to be NHL ready. Boom/bust is not a thing with top 10 picks. If you draft a bust you have screwed up majorly
I'm not just talking about pick 6. Are they going to be conservative with the other picks, as well? Wright mentions twice how important it is that their prospects make it to the NHL ASAP.

Doesn't exactly sound like the draft philosophy of somebody willing to roll the dice on Merkley, for example.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm not just talking about pick 6. Are they going to be conservative with the other picks, as well? Wright mentions twice how important it is that their prospects make it to the NHL ASAP.

Doesn't exactly sound like the draft philosophy of somebody willing to roll the dice on Merkley, for example.

He states that for Friday night. He has also made comments on how they are looking for guys who can play the half wall and run the PP. And that they are willing to give up size for skill this year

Jul 30, 2005
He states that for Friday night. He has also made comments on how they are looking for guys who can play the half wall and run the PP. And that they are willing to give up size for skill this year
Huh? The article doesn't say that. Either of those things.

He also says "it starts" on Friday. Considering the draft runs through Saturday, I would imagine their draft philosophy continues throughout the entire draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad