Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've really only seen them connected to Hughes as far as defense goes. I've seen a lot of Tkachuk, a bit of Wahlstrom and Hughes, and then obviously Zadina if he kind of free falls. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.
To be honest we really have no idea who these teams are targeting. For all we know speculation for Tkachuk to Arizona is there solely because of Keith, and not based in reality.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
To be honest we really have no idea who these teams are targeting. For all we know speculation for Tkachuk to Arizona is there solely because of Keith, and not based in reality.

I'm pretty sure Montreal will pick the Finnish center. They have no one in there pipeline C wise and looking at their team right now they have Druoin who is a better winger playing C.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We don’t know exactly, we do know some intel. If we didn’t there would be no point in researching / listening to the subject matter

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

This might be more true now that it ever has been with the increasing discussion if Ottawa might punt on this draft and play the odds to land Jack Hughes. Everything we think we might know could go out the window if Colorado is making the selection at 4 instead of Ottawa.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This might be more true now that it ever has been with the increasing discussion if Ottawa might punt on this draft and play the odds to land Jack Hughes. Everything we think we might know could go out the window if Colorado is making the selection at 4 instead of Ottawa.
If you're Ottawa, do you now keep the 2018 pick, and try to trade Karlsson to Colorado with the 2019 pick as part of the deal? That's an entirely different kind of sting, but if you think your franchise player is leaving either way, it might be the lesser of two evils.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
If you're Ottawa, do you now keep the 2018 pick, and try to trade Karlsson to Colorado with the 2019 pick as part of the deal? That's an entirely different kind of sting, but if you think your franchise player is leaving either way, it might be the lesser of two evils.

Can Ottawa trade back somewhere in the Top 10 and then trade that pick to Colorado? Therefore, they would get either a player, or more picks in this years draft, give Colorado a top 10 pick and then probably have another top 10 next year.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

God I hope not. I really don't want to have to listen to all of the Avs "fans" come out of the woodwork again just because they've heard ESPN talk about one of the guys on the roster again. And I like when their tickets are dirt cheap because there's a perception that the team sucks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We don’t know exactly, we do know some intel. If we didn’t there would be no point in researching / listening to the subject matter
If I'm being honest, there really isn't much of a point (to me) of speculating who takes who. But it is good to know who the players are before hand. The only point, imo, is entertainment.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can Ottawa trade back somewhere in the Top 10 and then trade that pick to Colorado? Therefore, they would get either a player, or more picks in this years draft, give Colorado a top 10 pick and then probably have another top 10 next year.

I'm sure the trade stipulates it must be Ottawa's own pick.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I could've sworn I saw something that said Ottawa has to commit one way or the other by the time the 3rd overall pick is made, but now I can't find the article.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If I'm Ottawa, my only goal is figure out how to move Karlsson in the next 48 hours to give me cracks in the first round of the draft this year. So in theory, yes. The problem is Karlsson is the big wrench here; he could easily say he doesn't have interest in signing with Colorado, and if that's the case, Colorado should have no interest in giving up a top 4 pick this year or a chance at Jack Hughes next year.

Ottawa has to be kicking down every door to get into the first round this year (in addition to other pieces), making their choice easy to give Colorado the first this year. Picking mid-to-high first this year and a chance at Jack Hughes next year is probably their best case scenario right now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I could've sworn I saw something that said Ottawa has to commit one way or the other by the time the 3rd overall pick is made, but now I can't find the article.

Based on what I have seen from the Ottawa boards, it has to be the Ottawa 1st round pick in 2018 or 2019. They can't acquire a later first to use in its place. They need to have a decision by the time the 4th pick is on the clock this Friday.

Which is why I think their main course of action is probably maximizing whatever draft pick they can get for Karlsson this year, among other things, and keep their pick next year with very, very, very, very good chance of having some of the best odds for Hughes.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
If Zadina falls, take him and run . Otherwise gimme Dobson all day, easily the most complete defender outside of Dahlin.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Maybe this will get some good vibes going:
The one thing they can all agree on, however, is there are as many as 50 different players that could get selected in the first round.

That’s crazy.

Furthermore, many teams seem to feel that they can get a player of equal value regardless if they pick 12th or 25th so expect teams to try and move down in the draft to collect assets.
2018 NHL Mock Draft: Brady Tkachuk to Canadiens at No. 3? - Sportsnet.ca
I think there’s good depth to the draft. A lot of times people say, ‘it falls off after those tiers.’ I wouldn’t say that. That’s a real limiting way of thinking. I think there’s a lot of depth... I think from picks, maybe 19, 20 right where we (the LA Kings) are, we’re right at that cutoff. I think the picks from right around 20 to 50, or even 20-to-60, are very, very close – maybe closer this year than any year I can remember in the past.

Blake and Yannetti: Draft tiers, using prior precedent, moving up or down - LA Kings Insider

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The pick is not tradeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad