Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This first round is likely to be the most anticlimatic draft for the Canes in ages. I'm 99% sure they are keeping the pick and taking Svechnikov.

Unless there is a trade Skinner for another pick, the draft is going to be pretty boring after the 2nd pick.

*Gary Bettman walks on stage, to vociferous booing as per usual*
"Ladies and Gentlemen" *booing intensifies, Bettman grins* "we have TWO trades to announce"
*boos quiet a bit and some cheering starts* "The Chicago Blackhawks" *boos pick up again* "have traded Brandon Saad, Marian Hossa, and the #27 pick to Carolina for Justin Faulk, Scott Darling and" *boos pick up again* "ANNNNNND the Carolina Hurricanes have traded the #27 pick to New Jersey for Cory Schneider. New Jersey is on the clock"

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
*Gary Bettman walks on stage, to vociferous booing as per usual*
"Ladies and Gentlemen" *booing intensifies, Bettman grins* "we have TWO trades to announce"
*boos quiet a bit and some cheering starts* "The Chicago Blackhawks" *boos pick up again* "have traded Brandon Saad, Marian Hossa, and the #27 pick to Carolina for Justin Faulk, Scott Darling and" *boos pick up again* "ANNNNNND the Carolina Hurricanes have traded the #27 pick to New Jersey for Cory Schneider. New Jersey is on the clock"
This Kool-Aid tastes sweet.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
the obvious answer would be Justin Faulk. Both are right handed shots and Faulk can provide the offense being lost by Dougie. I would probably say a prospect like Saarela or Roy could be added as well.

Trading a:
26 year old #3 15+ goal RHD with 40-50 point upside and 2 years left + blue-chip assets
for a
25 year old #2 15+ goal RHD with 40-50 point upside and 3 years left

Why do that? Defense isn't even an issue and Pesce is already the top-pair RHD. It's like Ottawa dealing Turris +++ for Duchene. It's a minor upgrade and you are giving away tons of value.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Trading a:
26 year old #3 15+ goal RHD with 40-50 point upside and 2 years left + blue-chip assets
for a

Why do that? Defense isn't even an issue and Pesce is already the top-pair RHD. It's like Ottawa dealing Turris +++ for Duchene. It's a minor upgrade and you are giving away tons of value.

1--I disagree that defense is not an issue--while not as glaring a problem as scoring--the defense has played as less than the sum of their parts. 2--I think Hamilton is the better fit for Hanifin. He's better at the whole defense part of being a defenseman and doesn't really change the offensive numbers much. And while Pesce is number 1--I believe the top two pairs will both be playing over 20 minutes a game each, so there really isn't' that much difference between 1 and 2. Pesce will never play the PP and Hamilton can play either, so their special teams usage won't really overlap. 3--Lindholm, while extremely useful to Carolina and maybe a potential breakout candidate under a new coach, hasn't really shown that he can be the consistent offensive weapon the Canes need--so if he can be used to get a more helpful player--then so be it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Trading a:
for a

I think you're seriously undervaluing Hamilton on both sides of the puck. I'd trade two Faulks for him. He makes us *much* harder to play against and could be great to help a guy like Fleury or Bean along.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sampo Ranta interviewed in Finnish press; tells he was asked by the Caps at the Combine if he'd rather have Jaromir Jagr's mullet or Brent Burns' lumberjack beard. He answered Jagr's hair.

Asserts to the reporter that mullets will never go out of fashion in hockey.
  • NHL Central Scouting: 18th (among NA Skaters)
  • Future Considerations: 58th
  • Bob McKenzie: 42nd
  • Craig Button: 73rd
Previously of Sioux City Musketeers (USHL), next up Univ of Wisconsin in NCAA.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yep, has a bit of a rep for not being overly well liked in the room (though definitely not Evander Kane level hate) and a rep for being a pain in the ass when it comes to contracts.

He's actually very well liked in Calgary, he's being in trade rumours because of Calgary's RHD depth (Depth is different than actual power and while I'm glad almost no Canes fans will go "Hurr durr the Flames have 5 no.1 RHD", it really does get old when people try to poke fun at the Flames defenseman), is the best in the league. They have 4 NHL caliber RHD, and Fox can jump in extremely soon. Another thing is Brodie plays better on the RS and it's not all just Giordano effect. Brodie played well with Russell and even Dman who aren't in the NHL anymore prior to Gulutzan on the right side. The Flames need a RHS forward that can play in the top 6, so Hamilton is the best trade weapon. I'd actually trade Hamilton and Gillies for Lindholm and Faulk if we can get a good deal with Faulk in a 3-way trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->