Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When you look at the Flyers organization, in 2019-20 the only AHL defensemen who are legitimate prospects would seem to be the two Swedes. So in terms of long-term depth, Hextall might lean toward defense in this draft. There's going to be an awful bad logjam at forward in a couple seasons at LHV.
I fully expect a Forward and a Dman to be our 2 1st rounders this year....with the Forward being picked 1st. We have F depth on the way, but need to keep trying to add high end guys.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have a feeling one of those 1sts is traded to fill a hole.

Just a feeling.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm at the point where I'm okay with not hoarding picks so much as long as the trade doesn't suck dick. We just have such a log jam of prospects and we're already afraid to let them play.

Exactly.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm at the point where I'm okay with not hoarding picks so much as long as the trade doesn't suck dick. We just have such a log jam of prospects and we're already afraid to let them play.

The question is what do you get if you give up the first? Do you get a Sam Bennett or Alex Galchenyuk type of forward (both who clearly need a change of scenery)? Or do you give it up for a project like Nikolay Goldobin, who just can't crack the lineup in Vancouver? Or do you move it along with an overpriced player to acquire a marginal asset, but gain salary cap space, which allows for future signings and moves?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Cap room isn't an issue, Filppula and Read after this season ($8M), Weise and Lehtera next year ($7M), MacDonald in 3 years ($5M).
That's a lot of cap room opening up for RFA extensions.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The question is what do you get if you give up the first? Do you get a Sam Bennett or Alex Galchenyuk type of forward (both who clearly need a change of scenery)? Or do you give it up for a project like Nikolay Goldobin, who just can't crack the lineup in Vancouver? Or do you move it along with an overpriced player to acquire a marginal asset, but gain salary cap space, which allows for future signings and moves?
I'd stop watching hockey if that what we planned on doing with a first round pick

Reactions: Stizzle

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'd stop watching hockey if that what we planned on doing with a first round pick

I'm in the minority, but I'd make the Galchenyuk move. He's two seasons removed from a 30 goal year, so you know he's got the hands to do it. I just think he needs a change of scenery.

EDIT: This is the St Louis pick I'm talking about. It's probably a 25 or 26 pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm in the minority, but I'd make the Galchenyuk move. He's two seasons removed from a 30 goal year, so you know he's got the hands to do it. I just think he needs a change of scenery.

EDIT: This is the St Louis pick I'm talking about. It's probably a 25 or 26 pick.

Personally, I wouldn't touch him with three barge poles taped together end to end.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think as far as forwards, if they were trading for a NHL ready player, Hextall would be looking for a full sized "Couts" type, he has a high scoring first line, he's going to have a high scoring 2nd line once Patrick and Konency grow up, he needs a solid two way third line player who can shoot or a playmaking two way speedster for the checking line.

So forget the high scoring defensively deficient (or undersized) wingers. We have those guys. We can just call up Martel, or so I'm told.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think as far as forwards, if they were trading for a NHL ready player, Hextall would be looking for a full sized "Couts" type, he has a high scoring first line, he's going to have a high scoring 2nd line once Patrick and Konency grow up, he needs a solid two way third line player who can shoot or a playmaking two way speedster for the checking line.

So forget the high scoring defensively deficient (or undersized) wingers. We have those guys. We can just call up Martel, or so I'm told.
So Lindblom?

Reality is, Lindblom should be ready for top 9 duties this year. And while it sucks waiting and playing inferior guys there, the answer is on it's way.

We have too many holes....or at least too many positions where we need patience. If we are going to be patient on the D, we might as well be patient in all the positions. Or the flip side, if you make a move to speed up the rebuild, you need to make multiple ones in multiple positions.

Patience mean wasting another year of our top players but it appears to be the path we are taking.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you look at my 2019-20 roster on the roster thread, the top line is not going to be that old in two years, they'll have four solid lines and 9-10 forward prospects in the AHL (assuming they sign their top college players). So it's not like we're really delaying much, Flyers could make the playoffs this year if Hextall dealt for a couple veterans to fill out the third line, but without a top goalie and an inexperienced defense, how far can they go.

By next season, most of the kids in AHL will be in the starting lineup.

G - C - V
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Weal - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Leier/NAK - Laughton - Raffl/MV
Martel, Weise, Lehtera

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Myers
Hagg, MacDonald

Hextall is almost certain to make a move or two to clear out the logjam

LHV: Rubtsov, Laberge, Bunnaman, Salinitri, Twarynski plus Kase? some college kids?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I still think Simmonds is getting moved at the trade deadline our draft. The Flyers simply can't tie another 7 to 8 million on a forward. I like Simmonds, but his game is going to be prone to injury the older he gets and as a GM, are you comfortable giving him an 8 year deal between 7 and 8 million a year. I don't think Hextall is. Besides, the bounty the Flyers would receive from a Simmonds trade would be huge. This is a guy who's still under contract for one more year, so he wouldn't be a rental either. I think Hextall could dramatically reshape the franchise going forward with a Simmonds trade.

Reactions: Stizzle

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I still think Simmonds is getting moved at the trade deadline our draft. The Flyers simply can't tie another 7 to 8 million on a forward. I like Simmonds, but his game is going to be prone to injury the older he gets and as a GM, are you comfortable giving him an 8 year deal between 7 and 8 million a year. I don't think Hextall is. Besides, the bounty the Flyers would receive from a Simmonds trade would be huge. This is a guy who's still under contract for one more year, so he wouldn't be a rental either. I think Hextall could dramatically reshape the franchise going forward with a Simmonds trade.

I think he could too, but I just can't envision him pulling the trigger on it. I'd really be shocked if he does. I didn't used to feel like that, but I have started to think he won't do it.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
BCF16, I hear what you're saying, but that one would need a whole lot of thinking.

Simmer is one of those players whose "whole" is a much more than the sum of his parts. If you're going deep into a playoff run, a guy like him brings a lot of value.

I'm just not sure this is a playoff team with the current coaching staff at the helm. If they're out if the playoffs by February, then I think they really need to seriously think about moving Simmonds and taking advantage of 10 to 12 teams that works pay quite handsomely for him. The Flyers could very easily get a young roster player, at least one blue chip prospect and multiple firsts for him. That would be an awfully tempting package for a guy like Simmonds. I was around when the Flyers missed the playoffs in the early 90s because they hung on to guys for too long. It's easy to become attached to players, but they need to look at what's best for the future of the franchise. A 29 year old power winger who's going to look for a max year contract with high dollar value would not be the best way to go, especially when you consider that with the style of game Simmonds plays, injuries will eventually catch up and happen.

Reactions: Foggy14

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds is going to be 31 so $7M per year is probably the cap off for him. I really can’t see him getting more than that & it’s more likely he falls somewhere between $6-6.5M per year imo.

I think Hextall extends him on a 6 year $6.5M per year type of deal.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I'm just not sure this is a playoff team with the current coaching staff at the helm.

Hard to argue with that.

If they're out if the playoffs by February, then I think they really need to seriously think about moving Simmonds and taking advantage of 10 to 12 teams that works pay quite handsomely for him. The Flyers could very easily get a young roster player, at least one blue chip prospect and multiple firsts for him. That would be an awfully tempting package for a guy like Simmonds. I was around when the Flyers missed the playoffs in the early 90s because they hung on to guys for too long. It's easy to become attached to players, but they need to look at what's best for the future of the franchise. A 29 year old power winger who's going to look for a max year contract with high dollar value would not be the best way to go, especially when you consider that with the style of game Simmonds plays, injuries will eventually catch up and happen.

In that scenario, it would be very tempting.

I guess a lot depends on Hexy's sense of when this club should be competitive. It seems like the window keeps getting pushed farther out and that makes trading a Simmonds (or a Giroux?) for futures more desirable.

But, at some point down the line, he'll be under enough pressure from Homer and Dave Scott to make the future now and moving pieces like Simmer will become very hard. At that point, moving futures for established talent will be more likely.

When could that happen? Maybe sooner than we think, because the fans and Flyers brass have already shown more patience with Hexy's rebuilding plan than is usual, given Flyers' history. A change in head coach will probably be the first big indicator that the tide has changed.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think the window ever was close, if you look at most players, they start really contributing around 22-23, about 4-5 years after their draft season, and maybe an extra year for college players, depending when they come out. So Hextall knew his first draft, other than 1st rd picks, wasn't going to show up until 2018 or 2019, and he'd need multiple drafts to build up sufficient depth for a cup contender.

He basically had 5 core players he inherited (G, V, Couts, Simmonds, Schenn) plus two prospects, Ghost and Laughton (Morin wasn't going to arrive until 2017 or 2018). That hasn't been enought to make this a playoff team. So he moved Schenn. That wasn't moving back the window, that was just recognizing that the window was a few years out.

Now when you start looking at the organization in 2018-19 forward, they'll be approaching "critical mass" where you start thinking about trading excess players and draft picks for the right pieces. I expect two concurrent strategies, trading good prospects and high picks for top NHL ready young players, and trading excess prospects for future draft picks (McGinn, Cousins, Madsen type deals).

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
I’d be interested in Bennett in the offseason but definitely not for either 1st. Maybe something like Lehtera and our 2nd for Bennett. Might make sense for the Flames as Stajan and Backlund come of the books and I’d imagine the Flames would want to get at least 1 pick in the top 62. Flip is also coming off the books so Bennett can fight Laughton for the open 3C spot or move to the wing if Vorobyov makes the team.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Simmonds is going to be 31 so $7M per year is probably the cap off for him. I really can’t see him getting more than that & it’s more likely he falls somewhere between $6-6.5M per year imo.

I think Hextall extends him on a 6 year $6.5M per year type of deal.
I'm not sure I'd want Simmonds until he is 37.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
i Don’t see Ron extending him to a 5 or 6 year deal. He is good now but if he winds up a MacDonald with a contract that is not tradable. You would be going backwards.

These next 3 drafts are very good. Kupari, wahlstrom, Farabee, Thomas, woo, and mcshane. I don’t think this team makes the playoffs. A good year to sell assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad