Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Considering what we have at C, D and G, I think W is something we should definitely go for if possible. A legit scoring winger would be pretty damn nice.

That would be nice. Preferably, a LW. Joel Farabee, maybe?

Then grab one of the many RHD's rated in the 1st with our other pick.

That's a homerun day.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After drafting 3 defensemen in the past two drafts (a fifth rounder & two seventh rounders) you'd have to imagine there will be more focus on defensemen in this draft.

2017 Draft:
#2 1st C Nolan Patrick WHL
#27 1st C Morgan Frost OHL
#35 2nd LW Isaac Ratcliffe OHL
#80 3rd G Kirill Ustimenko KHL
#106 4th LW Matthew Strome OHL
#107 4th RW Maksim Sushko OHL
#137 5th LW Noah Cates NCAA
#168 6th C Olle Lycksell SHL
#196 7th LD Wyatt Kalynuk NCAA

2016 Draft:
#22 1st C German Rubtsov QMJHL
#36 2nd RW Pascal Laberge QMJHL
#48 2nd G Carter Hart WHL
#52 2nd RW Wade Allison NCAA
#82 3rd LW Carsen Twarynski WHL
#109 4th C/LW Connor Bunnaman OHL
#139 5th LD Linus Hogberg SHL
#169 6th C/RW Tanner Laczynski NCAA
#172 6th W/C Anthony Salinitri OHL
#199 7th LD David Bernhardt SHL

*Bolded are players signed to ELC's. OHL/QMJHL/WHL are two year signing windows. Every other league is four or more years.

Seems like they've been spacing their defensemen out & taking guys with longer signing windows these past two years to give everyone a chance to develop properly.

Last edited:

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Magua, I trust your eye, what I don't trust from you or any one else is judgement based on a tournament. I find people weigh wjc, top prospect game, etc. Performances way too heavily. It has value, but I think only a fraction of what most people (professionals as well, maybe more so) place on it. For instance I never heard people talk about Hiscier taking shifts off or questioning his compete and consistency last year... it was enough to give me hesitation at times though. Then again, maybe my over-analysis and viewing of him relative to some other top prospects in a 'weak draft class' made weaknesses of his shine more.

That isn't supposed to come across dismissive btw, great post and thank you. I think I will be too busy this year to watch more than the QMJHL closely and the NHL a bit (mostly just flyers and a couple other teams) but I am looking forward to this draft.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would have preferred to take a dman like Cameron Crotty or Cale Fleury in the 3rd round this year, and then grabbed Ustimenko in the 4th if he was still there.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I would have preferred to take a dman like Cameron Crotty or Cale Fleury in the 3rd round this year, and then grabbed Ustimenko in the 4th if he was still there.

Hextall said they talked about Ustimenko even earlier than the 3rd. It seems like they are very high on him and he was a specific target.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Patrick Giles is someone that I hope the Flyers have an eye on.

I've never seen him play, but I have watched some highlights and videos of him maybe totaling like 10 minutes.

Seems to have decent hands, meh shot (has time to improve), and incredible strength. He's like 17 or 18 and already 6'4 nearing 200lbs. Plus he plays a mean and gritty game.

Flyers need their "hometown" hero and he grew up a couple hours away from Philly.

He's ranked at #51 for skaters according to EliteProspects, but could climb his way into the 1st rd of the draft if he has a good year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall said they talked about Ustimenko even earlier than the 3rd. It seems like they are very high on him and he was a specific target.

When they go off the board it seems to pan out. I wouldnt be surprised if we are talking about Ustimenko in the same breath as Sandstrom within 2 years.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Giles is a Caps fan which isn't surprising given that D.C. is under a half an hour away from his actual hometown in Maryland.

Yeah I figured as much, but still... Philly has no talent from "around Philly" besides Lukko who won't make the team.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Magua, I trust your eye, what I don't trust from you or any one else is judgement based on a tournament. I find people weigh wjc, top prospect game, etc. Performances way too heavily. It has value, but I think only a fraction of what most people (professionals as well, maybe more so) place on it

I mean every single time you watch a player you're judging a little -- can't help it -- but for me the Hlinka is more about observing and getting rough impressions on what type of a player a kid is and what I want to keep an eye on as the season progresses. I don't really care if a player gets more points than another or doesn't have a great SSS tournament, and if they do have a great tournament, it just means they're on my radar more now. Plenty of players come on the scene that way. But it's August; June is an eternity away.

If a player has a meh tournament (let's say u18s, since that is right at the end), and I'm comfortable evaluating them from their home league, I don't care that much. I don't think going bananas over a strong/weak playoff series or two, as some do, is much better. But if it's early, I chalk it up as "TBD," unless I see red flags. The TPG is next to worthless to me -- it's just for fun to see them all play each other. It barely enters my mind by the next day, and it's too frenzied to watch anyway. Hlinka and u18s are still small sample.......but they're building chemistry, practicing for weeks, being coached, so that's a much more indicative sample. But for a lot of kids in foreign or harder to scout leagues, you do have to weigh it more because that's most of your viewing. And sometimes guys flash things you don't see elsewhere in a different role/usage, and you have to decide which version is closer to what the real player could be.

I actually think I'm pretty fair about not going crazy with these tournaments and evaluating the pro qualities of players, not SSS box scores. I think the mix-up occurs in determining what exactly a person means when they say, "This player had a good tournament." The only thing I try to come out with, especially in August, are amorphous ideas. If that's too much, then why bother watching at all, right?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I mean every single time you watch a player you're judging a little -- can't help it -- but for me the Hlinka is more about observing and getting rough impressions on what type of a player a kid is and what I want to keep an eye on as the season progresses. I don't really care if a player gets more points than another or doesn't have a great SSS tournament, and if they do have a great tournament, it just means they're on my radar more now. Plenty of players come on the scene that way. But it's August; June is an eternity away.

If a player has a meh tournament (let's say u18s, since that is right at the end), and I'm comfortable evaluating them from their home league, I don't care that much. I don't think going bananas over a strong/weak playoff series or two, as some do, is much better. But if it's early, I chalk it up as "TBD," unless I see red flags. The TPG is next to worthless to me -- it's just for fun to see them all play each other. It barely enters my mind by the next day, and it's too frenzied to watch anyway. Hlinka and u18s are still small sample.......but they're building chemistry, practicing for weeks, being coached, so that's a much more indicative sample. But for a lot of kids in foreign or harder to scout leagues, you do have to weigh it more because that's most of your viewing. And sometimes guys flash things you don't see elsewhere in a different role/usage, and you have to decide which version is closer to what the real player could be.

I actually think I'm pretty fair about not going crazy with these tournaments and evaluating the pro qualities of players, not SSS box scores. I think the mix-up occurs in determining what exactly a person means when they say, "This player had a good tournament." The only thing I try to come out with, especially in August, are amorphous ideas. If that's too much, then why bother watching at all, right?

Fantastic reply man. Refreshing actually. There are an unfortunate amount of people who genuinely have a good eye for talent and scouting, but do too heavily weigh limited things, and in a semi-definitive/conclusive way that isn't the greatest reflection of what one should really expect on a night to night basis.

And I hope my post didn't come off the wrong way.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fantastic reply man. Refreshing actually. There are an unfortunate amount of people who genuinely have a good eye for talent and scouting, but do too heavily weigh limited things, and in a semi-definitive/conclusive way that isn't the greatest reflection of what one should really expect on a night to night basis.

And I hope my post didn't come off the wrong way.

You just described Pronman and McCagg.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I think we would be quite happy with the outcomes of either draft.

Just think, since Hextall took over and had a chance to really acquire picks(since Sanheim draft), he will have had 3 out of 4 drafts where we had 2 1st rounders. And in the draft he didn't, we had 3 2nd rounders.

Hextall is a pick hog.....and I love it!

:handclap:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think if we were going for a RHD, I think Woo and Xavier Bouchard could be good ones to go for. I like Woo in the fact he's basically already built into his frame (6' 205 lbs according to EP). I say Bouchard because he did pretty well for his first Q season on an awful team.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

Just think, since Hextall took over and had a chance to really acquire picks(since Sanheim draft), he will have had 3 out of 4 drafts where we had 2 1st rounders. And in the draft he didn't, we had 3 2nd rounders.

By the time the draft rolls around he will have added at least 2 more 3rds and probably a couple 4/5/6 rounders as well.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Rasmus Kupari is rumored to possibly be joining Sault Ste. Marie. He just had a big Hlinka tournament.

That would be a monster get in the 2nd round of the import draft......and to come over immediately too. They probably thought he would be a long shot, maybe come over in his D+1 year or not at all, or he would've gone much higher. Kupari could be a top 10-15 pick this draft.

With Frost and Kupari and Hayton, that offense is loaded. Probably one of the latter two moves to wing. Kupari has high end skills, but he works hard and smart too from what I saw. Bit of a theme with SSM. Even besides our vested interest in Frost, Greyhounds could be a must watch.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I get what you're saying, but man.... if we're picking top 12 next year... that would be depressing.

Not expecting the young guys to be amazing right away, but I absolutely expect an improvement over last years disaster.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I get what you're saying, but man.... if we're picking top 12 next year... that would be depressing.

Not expecting the young guys to be amazing right away, but I absolutely expect an improvement over last years disaster.

It wouldn't be the end of the world. MacDonald will need to be bought out next offseason or traded. Myers will join the team next season. Hopefully one of the forward prospects takes a big step forward and is ready to make the jump. The draft next season looks really deep and really good.

The flyers team is going to be hell to play against with their D.

Provorov - Myers
Sanheim- Gudas
Hagg/Morin - Ghost

That is a nasty backend and the flyers forward should be impressive as well.

If the flyers miss the playoffs they would be adding an early first rounder and there is a good chance St Louis pick will be 11-17. Indeed, I am not sure St Louis will make the playoffs with their center depth. Schenn is not a center. Fabbri is too small to be a center. Berglund is injured until December. Stasny is not a number 1. Their center depth could put them a couple of points outside the playoffs despite their D and forward depth, especially with how competitive that conference is.

It would be disappointing not to make the playoffs but given how competitive our division is, the fact our lineup includes MacDonald, and the fact that Myers is a year away, it would not be shocking to miss it.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's also possible they end up with roughly the same amount of points, but show significant improvement. Granted every season has its ebbs and flows, but that 10-game win streak masked some hideous stretches of multiple months when it comes to the point total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->